CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   Carnival Cruise Lines (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/carnival-cruise-lines/)
-   -   balcony concern (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/carnival-cruise-lines/314748-balcony-concern.html)

rescuedad May 28th, 2006 06:08 PM

balcony concern

First time cruiser here leaving in july. We are doing a family cruise with our 3 boys ages 14,7,5. I am concerned that any time spent in our room will be stressful because of the little guys on the balcony. Of course we would be out there with them but would it be easy for them to get over the rail? don't think they would climb it but i'm wondering how high they are and are there rungs? and how far apart are they? I hate to think that everytime I need to go inside for a sec that I would have to make them come in with me. can anyone give me info on the layout of the balcony on the large suite? thanks

Fern May 28th, 2006 06:46 PM

Hi rescuedad,

Here's a link to the Carnival site's picture of a suite on Fascination:

http://www.carnival.com/CMS/stateroo...ail_FS_SU.aspx

It looks like it does have rungs that your little ones could climb on. There may be plexiglas there too, but it's hard to tell. I don't think I'd leave the little one's out there unless I could keep an eye on them :shock: ! As you know, little boys love to climb!

Have a wonderful, safe cruise!

Darcy May 29th, 2006 08:02 PM

The balconys also have tables and chairs that the kids can climb up on. The tend to be pretty close to the rail as there isn't much room out there. I wouldn't leave the kids out there alone at all.

Will May 29th, 2006 09:16 PM

Definately do not leave the 5,and 7 year old alone out there.There also is a lock(latch) high off the floor when you are inside your cabin,and you do not want them to walk out there accidently.

rescuedad May 31st, 2006 10:00 AM

Thanks all I was wondering if there was a top latch thats a relief! I wouldn't leave them alone out there I was mainly concerned withthe way the rail is set up ie: plexiglass face, how high are the rails? since ive never been on a cruise I have a million concerns, anticipations most of which have been answered from reading things on these boards I am grateful to all!

dina May 31st, 2006 10:33 AM

The rails about about 4 foot high. I'm 4'11" and I have to stretch up a bit to rest my elbows on the rail. If you want I can send you a picture to show you how high it is. Also its really thick glass. I have the pictures posted on my yahoo. I'll see if I can pick out just the railing pics for you

mikee June 1st, 2006 09:02 PM

balcony concern

rescuedad, you don't say what ship you are going on. most of the new ships have a top rail and thick plexiglass bottom. going on our 20th cruise on the glory in nov. if you have any questions feel free to e-mail me and I will be glad to try and help

rescuedad June 3rd, 2006 11:11 AM

Thanks for the info Mikee. Traveling on the fascination. ever been on it? Fom reading these boards it seems not to many have.

RobRen June 3rd, 2006 06:16 PM

Your boys couldn't squeeze through the balcony rail because it is solid Plexiglas. The Plexiglas however is not crystal clear so I would have concerns about them climbing on a chair or table to "look over" the top of the rail and falling off. Kids have lots of curiosity and not much forethought about the consequences. Keep an eye on them at all times. Yes there's a latch on the balcony door but once again, a chair will give them the needed height to open it easily. The good thing is that your cabin is only one room so unless you're in the bathroom, they will be in your sight at all times.

Sailing gal June 4th, 2006 05:06 AM

I would be one who would be a nervous wreck and wouldn't bother with a balcony for that reason with little ones.

Karen