Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old May 29th, 2006, 08:07 AM
First Mate

Send a message via AIM to MrPete
Default Legend Jumper Hits the News

http://wcbstv.com/topstories/local_story_148204950.html
Sponsored Links
Old May 29th, 2006, 09:56 AM
Captain

Send a message via AIM to David West Send a message via Yahoo to David West

That is so sad ! Him and his family are on the best vacation on earth and his family ends up with a memory of a cruise like this. So sad

David
Legend May 2009
Liberty - Aug.23 2008
Fantasy - Sept.22 2007
Fantasy - Sept.27 2007 (B 2 B )
Holiday- Sept.- 2006
Valor- May - 2006
Conquest- August- 2003
Inspiration-Sept.-2001
Enchanted Isle- Sept.- 1999
Old May 29th, 2006, 11:10 AM
Passenger

Send a message via AIM to TanSwi
Default jumper

Sorry for the family and I feel for the child(ren) that are involved, but he would've done it regardless or one way or the other. Just another bad rap for the cruise lines.
Regardless, we love Carnival and will said again.
Old May 29th, 2006, 01:01 PM
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to Luanne Russo

It is truely sad when something like this happens. My heart and prayers go out to the families who will now have to deal with it.

Hopefully this time, Carnival will not be blamed. It sounds like they did all they could do.

Luanne
Conquest 2006
Conquest 2007
Ecstasy 2008
Valor B2B 2008

Conquest Virtual Cruise Topic Link
Old May 29th, 2006, 03:30 PM
Captain

i feel sorry for the family you can't blame it on carnivl sounds like he
had mind setup to do this
Old May 29th, 2006, 03:40 PM
Admiral

I still haven't seen a story on the jumper on the Inspiration last week. I am surprised that these don't show up on the "news" section on the homepage.

"The test of a first rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in the mind at the same time and still retain the ability to function."

F Scott Fitzgerald

Seven Seas Voyager (30nts) - Dubai - Cape Town - Nov 14
Old May 29th, 2006, 07:55 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Once Again the Media Is Making the News

It is interesting that a suicide on a Carnival Ship is nationwide news. There are thousands of suicides every year, and most of them never make headlines.

Even more interesting is the fact that AOL presented this story with a poll. It asked the readers if incidents such as this would preclude them from considering a cruise. Almost 50% of over one hundred thousand who voted answered in the affirmative.

Once again, people are reacting irrationally to the news. Carnival alone has over 3 million passengers a year. The rest of the cruise industry has millions more every year. There are going to be a few suicides, heart attacks, rapes, murders, and everything esle that happens in normal life. It is just magnified by a 24 hour media that has to produce news when none is available.

Case in point - the "dreaded" Norwalk virus. Again and again, when an outbreak hits a cruise ship, it is plasted all over the media. I know of people who refuse to take a cruise because of their fear of the Norwalk virus. Anyone doing casual research about this ailment will discover that it is very common, and the percentage of land lubbers who catch the Norwalk virus is actually higher than the percentage of those who take cruises. There have been three deaths from the Norwalk virus in one town in my state of Washington this year. How many of you have heard about it? Not many I would guess. There have been no deaths to Norwalk on any cruise as far as I know.

The only good thing about all of this is that less people will cruise, creating less of a demand and as a result prices will remain soft. Thank you all you irrational people out there who help me obtain my latest bargain for my next cruise
Old May 29th, 2006, 11:23 PM
Passenger

This is just heartbreaking. We were on the Legend just last week (5/12-20), and we know how hard the staff works to make this cruise a lovely experience for everyone. Sadly this is all anyone on this ship will take from their vacation. I am so sorry for that man's family, and so sorry he decided to impact the lives of thousands of other people with his decision. Blessings to all who had to witness this either physically or mentally.

Lo
Old May 30th, 2006, 09:10 AM
Admiral

Old May 30th, 2006, 11:00 AM
Administrator
Admiral

I'm sorry that someone decided to take their own life and do so in such a tragic way but I can't see the difference in this and the doctor who horrifically killed himself and his two children in Miami.

Will this stop people from staying in hotels?

You can start the argument that there shouldn't be balconies or railings people can crawl or jump over and all else but if someone wants to do themselves in they're going to do it.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old May 30th, 2006, 12:28 PM
Beginner

Absolutely no reflextion on the cruise line. This man was mentally disturbed prior to the cruise. No sane person would throw themself overboard after an aurgument. I am sad for this family and hope in order for them to have closure they find his body.
Old May 31st, 2006, 12:21 AM
Cruise Maniac

The jumper who was on the Legend was identified today in the NY Daily News as 35-yrs. old Ramesh Krishnamurthy from Doylestown, Pa. Witnesses said he was "apparently drunk" and arguing with his wife over money and his gambling problems and he climbed on a chair and just leaped from the sixth deck - at approx 1 a.m. The other guests were standing at the midnight buffet when they felt a "thump" as the engines were shut down then the ship's Captain announced over the loudspeaker system that they have confirmed that there's a "man overboard". The search continued for approx. 12 hours before being called off.

The jumper from NJ 2 weeks ago was I.D.'d as a 20+ yr old man who was reportedly "very drunk" when he "dove" over the railing of a Carnival Ship.

These jumpers obviously had psychological issues non-related to cruise travel and it's a shame that none of the wonderful positive stories that evolve from cruise vacations will never become newsworthy.....the media rarely prints or reports happy events. Tragedy & horror......in the newspaper headlines and on TV News top stories of the day! The real "terrorists" are the media moguls who flood the news vehicles with the most depressing and alarming information imaginable! It's so sad!

I love cruising......you love cruising.......millions of us love cruising! How can we get the media to convince the public at large that cruising is the most safe, exciting, fun, relaxing, entertaining, exotic, romantic and luxurious vacation choice of all!? Any suggestions???? Let's put our heads together on this issue!

Anchors Aweigh!!!!!!!! And the media be damned! (sorry 'bout that)

"Time you enjoyed wasting, was not really wasted at all" ~ John Lennon
Carnival Victory to N/E & Canada 7 days