Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old June 1st, 2006, 08:01 AM
Captain

Default Military discount question

I have booked the Freedom for Sept. 07 and asked about a military discount. My PVP said they were not yet open and to check back ever now and then. The next week I spoke to a lady (my PVP was on vaction) who said the military discount was already closed (oh no!!!!) but to keep checking back in case of cancellations. So . . . yesterday I talked to another lady who said the military discounts had not yet been opened because they usually do not offer them for European cruises unless the cruise was not selling well.

Okay, those of you with insight to the industry, what is your expeience with military discounts?

Thanks,
Magnolia Blossom
Sponsored Links
Old June 1st, 2006, 08:06 AM
Admiral

I would guess that Luanne could answer your question and will do if she see's this topic.

Celebrity Constellation November 2010

TALLY HO!!!
Chin Chin and all that!
Old June 1st, 2006, 08:38 AM
Admiral

Hello Magnolia;
I must be "just lucky" because I learned of the military discount a year or so ago, and have used it on my last 3 or 4 cruises. I asked for it, and after faxing proof of being qualified for the discount, got it. No one ever said anything about the discount being "opened" or "closed".
I'm sure someone who is an insider with the lines will be able to answer the question. I'll be very interested to hear the answer myself!
Happy sailing,
Ken
Old June 1st, 2006, 09:32 AM
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to Luanne Russo

Let me see if I can explain what happens. Some of you old timers are smiling, because you remember how I got in trouble over this question.

The military discount is a tool used to fill up the ship. (That part you already knew) It is very seldom used during the holidays due to the fact that the ships are easier to fill at this time of the year.

It can open or close at any time, and in fact when you book, you can tell them that you have the qualifications, and if some rooms open up, lot's of times, they will then give it to you.

Sometimes they only have them for certain rooms, sometimes it is for the whole ship.

Not all TA's have experience with the discount, so you must let them know.

There are actually two different kinds of discounts now. There is the straight one. And one that includes friends and famly.

As I was sitting with our TA for this next cruise, the window was closed on the Conquest, but while she was on the phone with them, it opened up.

Is it worth the hassle? You bet it is. If you can get one, you save big bucks, so you can spend more on the ship.

I sure hope this helps. I am not a TA, so my info is from asking way to many questions.

Luanne
Conquest 2006
Conquest 2007
Ecstasy 2008
Valor B2B 2008

Conquest Virtual Cruise Topic Link
Old June 2nd, 2006, 07:20 AM
Captain

Thanks, Luanne. And yes, I do remember the furor that erupted over this discussion a while back. What I've been unclear on is when the discounts opened. I think you've clarified it for me. Seems as though the third Carnival person I talked to was right. It opens if they can't fill the ship easily. And unfortunately she may be right that they don't use them in Europe. Seems like those sailings fill pretty easily.

I'm going to keep checking (aka driving them crazy) because I know from having checked the rates on VTG that the discount is very much worth the effort.

I'll keep ya' posted.
Old June 2nd, 2006, 08:58 AM
Admiral

If you are eligible for military discounts try Interliner. We have always gotten great rates and service from them.

These rates are valid for Airline Employees and Military only (including National Guard) and REQUIRE valid ID to book. To receive the discounts, you must be: Currently employed, Retired, or a parent of a curently employed airline employee; Military Active, Reservist or Retired; Parents of Active and Reservists also qualify; In some cases Veterans qualify.

http://interliner.com/index.php

#36-Carnival Splendor 9/16/12
7 night Mexican Riviera
Retirement Celebration

#37-Allure of the Seas 11/11/12
7 night Eastern Caribbean

#38-Celebrity Solstice 4/8/13
17 night Tahiti -- Sydney-Honolulu
40th Anniversary Celebration

270 days at see; soon to be 302
Old June 3rd, 2006, 11:06 AM
Admiral

I posted this once before but will repeat it here. I booked our first ever cruise for July 10th on Jan 3rd. I was about to book online and decided to call carnival to ask about poker on the cruise. While on the phone with them I asked her if it would be cheaper to book through carnival or expedia. she asked if I was ever in the military and I told her I had and she immediatly gave me the discount taking $500 off the price. So in regards to trying to fill the boat up... how full do you think it was in Jan? that they OFFERED me the discount? I am sailing on the Fascination and have been scouring these boards for 6 mos and have found very few who have traveled this ship so again how full was it that they needed to give me the discount? I say just ask and you shall receive.
Old June 3rd, 2006, 11:25 AM
Admiral

I wish it was that easy, but it isn't. They pretty much know in advance on how easy it will be to book. They can open and close the discount many times during the booking process. For example. We are booked on the Conquest for the 9th of July. The window of opportunity opened and closed while I was sitting there. (1 hour tops) It again opened up a week later, and when I called Friday it was closed again. The whole point is they want to fill a ship. I will tell you all something else. There are different levels of the discount. (Different amounts) If you have a discount already, and the amount is increased, you can have the new account credited to your discount. Under pay off, you get refund, outside of payoff, on board credit. Again, I will tell you that I am not a TA, but I do ask questions, which is why this board is so important to cruisers. read as much as you can, even if it isn't the ship you are going on. You never know when that ship might be yours.

Luanne
Conquest 2006
Conquest 2007
Ecstasy 2008
Valor B2B 2008

Old June 3rd, 2006, 12:35 PM
Admiral

So how do you know when these windows open and close. do you call to book and ask if its open or not and if not, wait? Or, after booking check back periodically and ask for the discount? If I called could there possibly be an additional discount since I paid for the cruise already?
Old June 3rd, 2006, 12:40 PM
Admiral

Yes, As I said, it opens and closes. Do you use a TA?

Luanne
Conquest 2006
Conquest 2007
Ecstasy 2008
Valor B2B 2008

Old June 3rd, 2006, 01:26 PM
Admiral

No. Should I have? I was going through expedia then called carnival and they told me about the discount. Is a TA worth it I mean do you really need one? I have plenty of time on my hands to research. I personally have put together group ski trips that I do not believe anyone could match. I actually enjoy the hours of research to save some of the money that means more drink and souvenirs for me. Its almost like a short term pre vacation hobby.
Old June 3rd, 2006, 01:31 PM
Admiral

I love to do research too. There is actually a site on the web that will tell you about the MDiscounts and what rate they are at the moment. I can't remember it right now but will try to find it again. You don't really have to have a TA, but it helps to have one who will be able to get reliable info from Carnival for you. I think research is a part of the exccitment of the cruise.

Luanne
Conquest 2006
Conquest 2007
Ecstasy 2008
Valor B2B 2008

Old June 3rd, 2006, 01:35 PM
Admiral

Couldn't agree more. yea would love if you could post that web site for me!
Old June 3rd, 2006, 02:57 PM
Admiral

Still looking!!!!
Conquest 2006
Conquest 2007
Ecstasy 2008
Valor B2B 2008

Old June 3rd, 2006, 03:21 PM
First Mate

"If you are eligible for military discounts try Interliner. We have always gotten great rates and service from them.

These rates are valid for Airline Employees and Military only (including National Guard) and REQUIRE valid ID to book. To receive the discounts, you must be: Currently employed, Retired, or a parent of a curently employed airline employee; Military Active, Reservist or Retired; Parents of Active and Reservists also qualify; In some cases Veterans qualify.

http://interliner.com/index.php "

Previous poster listed this site and it's a great one to check out rates...
5/'06 Celebrity Zenith
6/'06 Carnival Legend
9/25/06 Carnival Legend
10/29/06 11 nite NCL Spirit
2/4/2007 Carnival Legend
May 14-25th, Carnival Fascination...3 B2B's
9/24/07 Carnival Miracle
11/7/07 Carnival Miracle
1/14/08 Fascination
1/18/08 Carnival Miracle (Platinum on this one!)
2/25/08 Fascination
4/21 & 4/26/08 B2B on the Imagination
Future cruises:
9/7/08 Legend
11/16/08 Legend
1/26 & 1/31 Destiny B2B
Old June 3rd, 2006, 04:52 PM
Captain

Luanne, is that site VacationsToGo by any chance? They do have a great spot for viewing available military rates.
Old June 3rd, 2006, 05:22 PM
Captain

We have been fortunate enough to get a military discount on our last several cruises. The discount has always been $100 pp, but I know that the discount varies according to the discount being offered at the time. If a military discount isn't being offered on the cruise you are looking at or are already booked on, keep checking back with Carnival every few weeks to see if it is being offered. As Luanne said it opens and closes all the time. Our Vacation Planner told me that if the discount isn't being offered at the time of booking, it could be applied later if it becomes available.

Happy sailing,

AKcruiser
Old June 5th, 2006, 10:29 PM
Beginner

Default military discount

Hi.
I recently just secured a military discount for a European Cruise on the Carnival freedon out of Rome. It seems to have been available for about
a month now but I just found out about. It is good vor veterans. And is good for this summer and fall.
When I originally booked, they said the rate did not apply, but it recently opened up. We were just thrilled, because you all are correct, Europe does not usually have the military discount. But it is only for one category. but we were happy to take whatever was being offered.

We will be sailing in September -- this will be our 14th cruise. - We have never cruised before in Europe, so are looking forward to it.