Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old June 4th, 2006, 12:37 PM
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to Luanne Russo
Default Let's Talk about the Value of Zip Lock Bags

Do you know that Zip Lock bags are my favorite thing to take on a cruise.
My mother actually got me started on Zip Locks years ago, but I never believed their true value, until I took my first cruise last summer. I bag just about everything.
This is a list of the things I use them for

Make up- no more spills in the suitcase

Meds- I take something of every thing, so if My family gets sick, I can have things to treat them with.

Shoes that have been worn, so if they have a little dirt on the bottom, it doesn't mix with my clothes.

Caper- Capers fit in the large Zip Lock without being folded. They stay as fresh as the first time you saw it. If you are the type to carry them around with you on the ship, you can read them through the bag, and not have to take them out.

Docs- I pack all our docs in a bag. You can of course see through it, so at the counter in the port, as I am being asked for certain things, I know exactly where everything is. Once in our stateroom, or ID's and stuff still remain together in the bag, which we put in the safe most of the time.

Room service- In the mornings we order room service to wake us up. Even if we only order coffee, I always order Danish or bread w/ butter, and that goes into the bag. Not a lot, but enough for someone to snack on before dinner, or just a snack.

Pictures- As we pick up our photo's, I put them in the bag for safe keeping. They stay dry and clean.

Smokers in the room- You must never flush cigs down the toilet, and it is a complete no no to throw them off the ship, so once they are cool, we store in the bag, and when the steward comes to clean, he has a way of disposing of the stuff, without problems.

These are just a few of the uses of the "Bags" You probably have more to add.

Hope this helps make your cruise more relaxed, and better organized.

Luanne

P.S. Wait until you see my list of uses for duct tape
Conquest 2006
Conquest 2007
Ecstasy 2008
Valor B2B 2008

Conquest Virtual Cruise Topic Link
Sponsored Links
Old June 4th, 2006, 03:07 PM
Captain

And don't forget the zip lock bag for your wet swimsuits after the pre cruise night in a hotel!! I pack all my toiletries in zip lock bags as well as our medications. Can you imagine if your shampoo or sun tan lotion decided to leak all over your cruise clothes??? I also pack some laundry detergent in a zip lock bag just in case I need to wash a few things (not that I do mind you, but just in case!!)

Thanks Luanne for reminding us of the great value of these little gems!!

AKcruiser
Old June 4th, 2006, 04:27 PM
Admiral

Instead of looking here and there and everywhere for those reciepts for your charges, keep a small zip-lock bag --- everyday, just put your reciepts in the bag. Then if you need to check on something, you have them all together.
Old June 4th, 2006, 07:35 PM
Passenger

And to think I was the only compulsive planner!!!!

I love it!!!!
Old June 5th, 2006, 08:12 AM
Passenger

Send a message via Yahoo to jenischmeni

I'm a ziplocaholic too! I've always used them when traveling. You came up with some ideas that I'd not thought of though, thanks!

I use them like crazy in my everyday life. I think they're one of the greatest inventions. Right after the microwave!
Old June 5th, 2006, 03:18 PM
Captain

My name is Georgia and I'm a bag lady.

Now, Luanne, once your disease progresses you get into all kinds of zip locks. I have tiny ones 2 x 3 inches and 3 x 5 that have white blocks on them for writing with pen or pencil. These are perfect for:

pills - much more space efficient than bottles
bobby pins, baretts, rubber bands, etc.
band aids
alcohol/disinfectant wipes
little sewing kit
safety pins
cotton balls, q-tips, etc

Then you can (of course) put the little bags in a bigger bag !
Rx meds
OTC meds
Hair stuff
Misc stuff
Stuff stuff

And then, indespensible for cold weather cruises are space bags!
They're great for squishing down your sweaters or sweatshirts.

Yep, there's just no end to the use for zip lock bags. I always put a large one in my back pack to keep glasses or things you really want to keep the sand out of (like your undies, maybe). I was really glad to have it on one excursion when the girl next to me was looking a little greener, and greener, and . . . well, I knew what was coming so I dug out my bag and she promptly deposited her breakfast in it. The back window on the bus didn't open so I'm reeeallly glad I had a receptical for her. Then I had to pour my water on my bandana and wipe her down. Jeez, being prepared is a lotta' work sometimes!
Old June 5th, 2006, 04:09 PM
Admiral

Put you bottle of booze (plastic bottle) in the big ones.

SS Norway (12 times) '85 - '97; Radiance OS 06/01; Island Princess 11/04, Grand Princess 11/04/05, Golden Princess 7/21/06, Golden Princess 2/24/07, Explorer of the Seas 12/23/07, Island Princess 11/15/08
Old June 5th, 2006, 04:15 PM
Captain

You all sound like my MIL.
Old June 5th, 2006, 05:41 PM
Yeoman

Default Let's talk about the value of zip lock bags

We put all aerosols in zip lock bags (they can't go in the carry on). We also put a plastic bag over everything in a suitcase. If it is raining at an airport many times luggage gets wet. This protects the contents and also keeps things somewhat wrinkle free. Our last trip I bought the ugliest ribbon I could find (lime green with blue polkadots) to identify our black suitcases on the turnstyle. It worked perfectly, UGLY!

Betty
cruise #19 booked: Crown Princess, 9/30/06

cruise #20 booked: Carnival Liberty, 1/14/07
Old June 22nd, 2006, 05:26 PM
Yeoman

Why can't aerosols be brought on in carry on bags?
Old June 22nd, 2006, 05:31 PM
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to Luanne Russo

I didn't know they couldn't I always carry mine in my carry on. Now this is for the ship only, I don't know about on a flight.

Luanne
Conquest 2006
Conquest 2007
Ecstasy 2008
Valor B2B 2008

Conquest Virtual Cruise Topic Link
Old June 22nd, 2006, 05:51 PM
Cruise Maniac

I put my medicines, make-up,tooth brush and paste,batteries, film,Q-tips, almost everything in a zip-lock bag...

GG
Old June 22nd, 2006, 06:20 PM
Captain

On one of our cruises, we met a couple. He had had knee surgery not long before he went on his cruise. His knee was swelling so I gave him one of my large ziplock bags for him to put ice in to use on his knee. (Just another use for ziplock bags.) I agree with Luanne. I take various sizes with me on every cruise. It is amazing how many uses you can find for them.

Libragirl from Texas
Old June 22nd, 2006, 07:00 PM
Passenger

I use zips as stated above and also put a wash cloth w/ice in a zip to carry off the boat in the Caribbean - nice ice bag to cool off with.

Mary
Old June 23rd, 2006, 08:43 AM
Admiral

I can't belive that none of you have mentioned using ziplocs to pack your socks,undies and t-shirts!!! stuff them full, zip, squish and toss them in your suitcase. 8)
Old June 23rd, 2006, 12:36 PM
Passenger

LIsaK - didn't mention but I do stuff and squash and then when I get in the room I put right in the drawers - keeps things organized
Old June 23rd, 2006, 12:52 PM
Admiral

I also took ziplocs. I swear I want to send the inventor a little thank you card. I took it to the beach and stuffed my swimsuit in it so I wouldn't have a wet bag to carry around.

Life is too short to let the ship of your dreams sail without you.

Carnival Destiny Feb. 2006
Carnival Fascination Feb. 2007
Royal Caribbean Grandeur of the Seas Feb. 2008 The DTW & MsBJ tour
Carnival Valor MsBJ and Dina Feb. 2009
Carnival Glory MsBJ and Dina Feb. 2010
Carnival Dream MsBJ and Dina Feb. 2011
Old June 23rd, 2006, 11:02 PM
Admiral

Not just on a cruise, but almost ALL my clothes go into the 2 gallon size ziplocks when I travel. With the air squished out, they work just as well as those expensive bags that you suck the air out with a vaccum cleaner (I've used both).

I also take a few extras. When I get off at a port I will most likely have a piece of fruit and maybe a bagel or something stored in my purse for a snack.

Pens and markers that might leak in your luggage.

And just general organization of small items.

I learned a long time ago that they are ESSENTIAL for camping. When it rains, my packed clothes don't get wet. Crawling into your tent during a storm and having dry clothes to put on is wonderful, and in the winter, lifesaving.

dorothy

Carnival Elation
Carnival Elation March 11
Carnival Imagination Sept 07
Carniival Sensation Dec 06
RCI Sovereign of the Seas Sept 06
Carnival Miracle Sept 05
Carnival Glory Sept 04
Carnival Fantasy Jan 04
Old June 24th, 2006, 07:32 AM
Admiral

We had plenty of them in our bags...

Cruised more times than I can remember.

Good people sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Courage and perserverance have a magical talisman; before which difficulties disappear and obstacles vanish into the air.

Pick your company wisely! Hang around people who are going to help you become all God created you to be.