Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old June 6th, 2006, 08:30 AM
Passenger

Default Planning Alaska cruise July 2007 Southbound

I am planning a southbound Alaska cruise on the Carnival Spirt in July 2007, and any tips or advice would be appreciated. We are going to arrive the Sat. before sailing. I am thinking flying into Anchorage, and renting a car. My husband wants to go halibut fishing, where is the best place and any recommended charters? What else would you recommend?
Would we need to book a transfer to the ship? or would we better off driving the rental car to the port? (is there a drop off point for the rental)
Any time in July better?
Sponsored Links
Old June 9th, 2006, 03:52 PM
Passenger

If you're planning on fishing on Saturday, you might have to go out of Seward, costs about $190.00 a person and if your're getting there on SAturday, you might need to book in advance to make sure you get a slot. Sweard is about 2 1/2 hours away from Anchorage. Homer is a better fishing port, but it's a five hour drive each way and would be tough to drive there, fish all day, and drive back. It can be done because it doesn't get dark in Anchroage during that time of year until midnight, but it would be a loong day. I would recommend turning your car in at ANchroage and riding the train from Anchorage to Whittier(costs $50 per person). That way you have a beautiful relaxing ride to Whittier, and you don't have to worry about dropping of a car and getting transportation back to the cruise termminal. The train stops directly in front of the cruise terminal and transfers your luggae to the boat for you.

You're going to love the cruise, my wife and I just got back and it's wonderful.
Old June 10th, 2006, 10:31 PM
Passenger

Hi - We are booked on the Carnival Spirit SB July 4th, 2007. We are also flying in the Saturday before. We are renting a car - spending 1 or 2 days in Anchorage - then off to Seward 2 or 4 days - then off to the cruise on the 4th of July. The great thing is that Seward has a great 4th of July celebration. We also plan to fish during our vacation - just not sure if that will be in Seward or Ketchikan.

So far we are looking at doing >>>>>
Seward - Exit Glacier, Bay tour, Sealife Center, 4th of July activities, Portage Glacier on the way to the ship
Sitka - Kayaking, walking around town, ??
Juneau - Whale Watching with Cpt Larry, Mendenhall Glacier and possible a glacier landing (Coastal).
Ketchikan - Fishing, walking around town.
Skagway - renting a car, sriving to Emerald Lake maybe Carcross.

I haven't nailed down all the independents that we will use.

I don't know which week would be better in July - but I like the fact that over the 4th there is one day I won't have to use my vacation time. You're other choice is the 18th of July.

Fantasy, Inspiration (2), Conquest (2), Rhapsody, Spirit

Coming up! Ecstasy April 19, 2008 & Sept. 1, 2008
Old June 12th, 2006, 08:09 AM
Passenger

Thanks for the info. To take the train from Anchroage to the port, can we just arrive at the train station to take the train or do we have to have adance tickets? Did you fish in Seward ?-do you have a recommendation for the boat to book? And what about after the cruise transportation to the airport in Vancouver? Seauonboard - Have you booked your hotels or rental car yet?
Old June 12th, 2006, 09:19 AM
Passenger

My understanding is that you can just show up at the train station. We are going in early and renting the car. The cost for 4 of us to take the train will almost cover the rental - plus we are going to Seward. The train leaves at 10:00. Here is their website - http://www.alaskatravel.com/alaska-r...-whittier.html

We are staying at Comfort Inn Ship Creek. Originally I choose it because all the hotel reviews have been very good. They have a shuttle from the airport and provide transport to some other local places - including the train station. My understanding though is the train station is walkable from the hotel - luggage not withstanding.

Haven't fish yet. Once it gets closer and we decide how many days we are going to spend in Seward then we will decide on fishing there or in Ketchikan. I have read the fishing in Ketchikan is wonderful. There was something else about Seward. If I remember correctly the fish run closer to the city before or after we are there - meaning you spend alot more time getting to the fish the week we are there. You may want to check out some of the Seward websites.

Are you military? The reason I ask is Carnival offers a military rate (includes vets with 2 years honorable service) - plus if you decide to go to Seward they have a military resort there (ID holder only). You can only book it a year out.

There is company that provides transport from the airport - Limojet Gold www.limojetgold.com. Website shows fee to be $47.00 CAD - but I think you can take up to 6 (maybe 8) for the one price. So if you are traveling with others or you meet someone on the ship you could share.

If you are flying out right after the cruiseline offers a service called US Direct - http://www.portvancouver.com/vanAlaC.../usDirect.html - it allows you to skip the lines and get through customs quicker. I saw the fees somewhere but can't seem to find the link.

I will start booking hotels, car and excursions next month.

Have you sailed Carnival before? This will be our 6th with them.

I have a yahoo group (private to keep out spammers). There is lots of helpful links and files on it - and it has a message board also. Just go to -
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/carnival_spirit_alaska/ - and click the Join button. Or you can email me directly - my email is in my profile.

Fantasy, Inspiration (2), Conquest (2), Rhapsody, Spirit

Coming up! Ecstasy April 19, 2008 & Sept. 1, 2008
Old June 12th, 2006, 12:29 PM
Passenger

My husband is a veteran, would I book that hotel stay through Carnival? This will be our 5th cruise with Carnival and we just love it. I am trying to plan this without the help of a travel agent.