Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old June 16th, 2006, 09:01 AM
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to Luanne Russo
Default DO YOU USE 2 WAY RADIOS ON YOUR CRUISE?

On our first cruise last year, we were told to buy radios to take, to keep up with our teen boys. We used them actually two days.

Pros: They do help you keep up.

Good way to remind kids of something they need to do, or a time to meet.

Cons: Hubby last year said"Please meet us on the Lido for lunch" Because he didn't call the boys by name, ten kids showed up to eat.

You are sharing air space with others. Depending on the ship, the radios wouldn't work in some areas. I was told that it was because of the steel in the walls. You tend to want to turn them off, because some people (old and young) use them to entertain those around them. We heard what sounded like an elderly man sing "Help me make it through the night" to his elderly wife. It was cute, and painful all the same time. He sounded like he put so much in the song, that he had little energy for once they found each other.

Others to follow may say that they couldn't do without them. Maybe you have a better system than we did.

So, what do you think Cruisemates?

Luanne
Conquest 2006
Conquest 2007
Ecstasy 2008
Valor B2B 2008

Conquest Virtual Cruise Topic Link
Sponsored Links
Old June 16th, 2006, 09:21 AM
Admiral

Obviously have never used them cruising yet but I am bringing them. I have used them skiing though and found the constant talk and paging to be annoying (most by the cleaning staff in the hotels, you can hear them on the mountain while your skiing and the talk was almost constant) on a ski slope was only annoying to me cause no one is close enough to hear you. I am imagining sitting by the pool getting some sun and sitting there hearing this same thing. I think it would be more annoying while sitting there then flying down a mountain. with a couple thousand people on the boat lets say 1/2 have them thats a lot of chatter! i'll find out in... (see below)
Old June 16th, 2006, 11:51 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Darcy

We use them. We found the COBRA with the 5 mile range and lots of sub-channels work the best. I've been on the Rivieria deck in our room and was able to reach a child up by the pool without any problems. Also, if you have lots of sub-channels you can usually get a channel that no one else is on.
Monarch of the Seas 3/06
Carnival Inspiration 8/05
Carnival Miracle 4/05
Carnival Inspiration 4/04
Sovereign of the Seas 4/03
Old June 16th, 2006, 04:04 PM
Passenger

they work wonders, make sure the are radios with channel and sub channels. On our last cruise we are channel 9 10. It was cool, i was on my balcony and was talking to the wife in aruba...

Good Luck and have a gret cruise

Festivalle 1990
Imaganaton 1997
Sky Princess 2002
Granduer of the seas 2004
Destiny 6/4/2006
Old June 16th, 2006, 04:18 PM
Captain

My husband and I use two way radios every cruise. I really don't like using them on the ship that much, but they really come in handy at the ports. I love to shop. My husband loves to practice his Spanish with the locals. He hates to shop. We keep them on so we can visit and decide what to do and where to meet.
Old June 18th, 2006, 08:44 AM
Captain

Send a message via AIM to David West Send a message via Yahoo to David West

As Darcy said, the Cobra's are real good . The wife and I got ours for our 2003 cruise onboard the Conquest. They worked really well. I could be in the room , or in one of the shops onboard ,and still talk to her on the Lido deck.

Since we cruise when schools are in, we don't have any problems finding a clear channel to much. But with 2 - 3 times the kids onboard, they could get to be more trouble than there worth .

Happy Sailing to all ;
David
Legend May 2009
Liberty - Aug.23 2008
Fantasy - Sept.22 2007
Fantasy - Sept.27 2007 (B 2 B )
Holiday- Sept.- 2006
Valor- May - 2006
Conquest- August- 2003
Inspiration-Sept.-2001
Enchanted Isle- Sept.- 1999
Old June 19th, 2006, 06:57 PM
Passenger

Just got off the fantasy today! We tried to use the 2 way radios, but could never get a channel that we would hear each other. We ended up hearing where everyone elses families would meet. It worked for the 1st day, but after that it was too much trouble. You can try. It might work for you.