Our tips for the Western Caribbean on the Miracle is as follows:
* NOTE* to 1st timers : go to the port of call talk by â€śDanâ€? the first day at sea. It was very informative and had great tips for shopping and dinning at ports of call
Grand Cayman -
Beautiful, nice for shopping. We did the Atlantis submarine and it was amazing.
* If you want to see stingrays up close and personal this is the port to do that in. We did not book that excursion and heard it was awesome!! (we will next time)
* 7 mile beach is fantastic
* Ruins were fascinating.
* Rum factory (best rum cake ever)!! Yummy
* and yes Hell is here
Cozumel - Not our favorite port. We did the shopping and should have booked an excursion.
The shopping is not for the light at heart or easily frustrated. We were hounded, begged and perused the whole day. shops are very close together and there is a lot of competition so they arenâ€™t afraid to chase you down for that sale! On the upside they will bargain with you if you are up for it.
* everyone that booked excursions had a great time.
*horseback ridding, jeep rental , snorkel, dive, ruins, you name it they got it.
Belize city - BOOK AN EXCURSION!!!! 8)
Please remember this is an EXTREMELY poor country. Although beautiful it is hard for
Some people to deal with the housing and sites here .
The landscape is amazingly beautiful one out of the city area
* we did the cave tubing and it was amazing. Not to hard of a walk . The water was a little cold. but refreshing. Very lazily float down the river ( we were told in July and August the water is a little more swift thru the cave) the food was incredible (lunch is included).
* lots of choices for excursions but make sure you book one.
*DO NOT GO OFF ALONE TO EXPLORE*
* the best thing about this port is you donâ€™t have to book anything*
The port is amazing when you get off the ship.
Stores, restaurants, outdoor market, pool with swim up bar. Beach access, hammocks, paddle boats, lounge chairs, and snorkel area are free of charge. Costume clad dancers put on a free show. Local children singing FANTASTIC!!
* we did do a 3 hour excursion to snorkel & beach break. It was amazing.
VERY private beach. Soda and water was free. And we got back in time to shop.
* very easy to negotiate prices. ( Item we purchased started at $45 us and we paid $15)
If anyone would like to see a copy of ship excursions, capers( daily on board activities schedule) or if you have any other questions please feel free to send us an email and I will zip you a copy.
Have fun and Enjoy!! I will post pictures ASAP!
Belize has only been a country since 1980. Like any budding nation, there are problems in it's political and economic structure. Crime there is fairly high, and drug abuse is high as well.
Now you mix that with a cruise ship bringing lots of people who have money and it equals opportunity. Some of the people may try to take advantage of the opportunity by inventing ways to extract your money from you.
Belize happens to be a port that I really enjoy. You will be fine here if you listen to your gut instinct, and be alert.
You can walk all around the port area shopping, but once you leave that area, you need to be cautious.
On an excursion, you will be fine, whether it is a private tour or a ships tour.
There is a great deal to see here and do not let fear stop you from exploring!