Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old June 24th, 2006, 02:30 PM
Yeoman

Default Suggested $ amount to tip Cabin Steward upon sailing?

I was thinking that giving him a $50 would be sufficient to ensure ice, etc.

Too much? Too Little?

What have you guys done in this aspect?

Carnival Legend, Thanksgiving, 2006
Sponsored Links
Old June 24th, 2006, 02:35 PM
Cruise Maniac

I think $50 is way tooooooooooooo much money... We usually cruise with 3-4 cabins and get the same room steward. As soon as we board, and meet him or her, one of us gives them $15.... thats it....

Now, at the end of the cruise, if we think they've done a good job, then we give them another $15. We also leave their tip money on the Sign n Sail card and that seems to do the trick...

Also, depending on what the truth is, some of the Cruise Lines require that all additional tips given to the Staff have to be turned in so I'm not even sure that your Room Steward gets to keep it.
Old June 24th, 2006, 02:43 PM
Admiral

How many cabins are assigned to one steward? I thought $50 was the norm from what I read on here. I have 2 friends that recently returned it seemed they gave an additional $10 per day to the steward and their waiter. I need this info so I can figure out my beer budget!
Old June 24th, 2006, 05:05 PM
Passenger

Send a message via MSN to Aussie

I have always received nothing but the best service and I have never tipped ahead. Carnival steward was so superior to other lines that I have cruised. Our ice bucket was always full. He was fantastic and he got his good tip at the end.
Old June 24th, 2006, 06:45 PM
Admiral

The only time we pre-tipped, we had the worst service ever ! Now we leave the automatic tipping on and tip our room steward between $25 and $50 at the end of the cruise, depending on how much "extra" service we ask for or receive.

BTW, as I understand it, they do know who has left the automatic tipping on and if it's been taken off they do have to pool extra tips. If you've left your auto tip on they'll get the extra back. Mark the envelope you give them with your name and cabin #.

There's absolutely nothing wrong with just tipping the recommended amount.

"A truly happy person is one who can enjoy the scenery on a detour."

Carnival Inspiration 2002 Carnival Elation 2004
Grand Princess 2004 NCL Sun 2005
Sun Princess 2006 NCL Dream 2007
Caribbean Princess 2007 NCL Dawn 2008
Island Princess 2008 Island Princess 2009
Golden Princess 2009 Carnival Conquest 2010
Grand Princess 2010 Island Princess 2011
Grand Princess 2011 Carnival Magic 2012
Carnival Dream 2012 Island Princess 2013
Carnival Magic 2013 Carnival Legend 2014
Old June 25th, 2006, 10:45 AM
Captain

Send a message via Yahoo to wakedreams

I tip 10.00 up front and let them know I like an extra ice bucket and a few extra towels everyday. If I get those things, then I tip an extra 10.00 at the end + I never remove the automatic tipping.
Carnival Triumph 11/2008
Carnival Celebration 10/2007
Carnival Victory 11/2006
Disney Wonder 1/2006
Carnival Legend 10/2005
Carnival Victory 3/2005
Carnival Triumph 8/2004
Carnival Sensation 6/2002
Old June 25th, 2006, 11:43 AM
Cruise Maniac

On our cruise to Alaska in May our steward was great! There is a covering that encloses the fridge in your cabin, it has ventilation holes in the top of this covering, just underneath the counter top. This entire cabinet unit is apparently pre-built and can't be accessed without a considerable amount of work. On the second day of our cruise, I picked up an earring and it just flipped out of my hand and went into one of the venilation holes. My husband tried and tried to retrieve it with a coat hanger, but with no success. When we went to dinner that night, I left a note on top of the cabinet, explaining to our steward what had happened. When we came back that night, he came to our cabin, I'm sure he was off duty by then, and said that they couldn't get the earring.He just kept telling me how sorry he was, like it was his fault. Our ice bucket was always filled, and our cabin looked wonderful every time we returned. My husband left him $60.00 in the envelope on the last night of our cruise. The steward had told us the first day that he would be leaving for vacation when our cruise was finished and we just wanted to make sure he had a good time on HIS vacation.
Old June 25th, 2006, 12:17 PM
Cruise Maniac

we always tip 20 bucks on the first day to insure plenty of ice and towels this is more than suffitient and we always leave the normal tipping in place , our room steward told us on our last cruise she took care of 20 rooms , do the math at 50 bucks each thats 1000 bucks a week just in extra tips, 50 is way to high.
Old June 25th, 2006, 05:12 PM
Beginner

We also tip $20 upon meeting our steward. We also leave another $20 in a card with a thank you if the service was extra good. We've only been disappointed once.
Old June 26th, 2006, 10:22 AM
Yeoman

I have only been on 3 cruises so far and have always tipped a $20.00 bill when arriving and meeting our steward. I have never been dissappointed and will keep doing this.
Old June 26th, 2006, 10:35 AM
Administrator
Admiral

Tipping is a personal matter but I want to note that pre-tipping is up to the individual but it is not required or expected by the cabin stewards.

I have pre-tipped a cabin steward only when I have made a request above and beyond their cabin steward's normal duties. People reading this thread should not believe that they have to pre-tip in order to receive good service.

If you believe that you have received exceptional service then you can give your steward additional cash at the end of the cruise. This is in addition to the automatic tipping that is deducted from your onboard account but don't feel it is a requirement.

Automatic tipping was instated because many stewards and other tipped employees were being stiffed by passengers. The automatic tipping program now ensures that they receive fair compensation for their service. If they go the extra mile and you feel they deserve additional then that is your decision.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old June 26th, 2006, 11:14 AM
Yeoman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike M
Tipping is a personal matter but I want to note that pre-tipping is up to the individual but it is not required or expected by the cabin stewards.

I have pre-tipped a cabin steward only when I have made a request above and beyond their cabin steward's normal duties. People reading this thread should not believe that they have to pre-tip in order to receive good service.

If you believe that you have received exceptional service then you can give your steward additional cash at the end of the cruise. This is in addition to the automatic tipping that is deducted from your onboard account but don't feel it is a requirement.

Automatic tipping was instated because many stewards and other tipped employees were being stiffed by passengers. The automatic tipping program now ensures that they receive fair compensation for their service. If they go the extra mile and you feel they deserve additional then that is your decision.

Take care,
Mike

Mike...........what constitutes "above and beyond normal duties"? I always ask that the ice bucket be kept full during sea days.......should I be tipping ahead of time for that request or should I wait until the end of the cruise to tip? Just asking, because this is the first Carnival cruise I will be going on. Never had the automatic tipping before.
Old June 26th, 2006, 07:03 PM
Cruise Maniac

I left the automatic tip on my sail and sign card amd our steward on the Glory was awesome.
We had ice everyday, clean room, towel animals,clean towels he was always smiling and offering to help so we bought a card from the gift shop and personally gave him extra $$$ the day before we got off the ship and thanked him.
I say if he or she done an outstanding job and made my cruise a joy then that person should keep the extra money for themselves,they worked hard for that extra cash not the waiters in the dining room or maitre"d.
Its so easy ..stick the cash in your pocket and get rid of the card and no body knows...

GG
Old June 26th, 2006, 08:15 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by cricomia
Mike...........what constitutes "above and beyond normal duties"? I always ask that the ice bucket be kept full during sea days.......should I be tipping ahead of time for that request or should I wait until the end of the cruise to tip? Just asking, because this is the first Carnival cruise I will be going on. Never had the automatic tipping before.
If you want the ice bucket filled outside of the stewards normal morning and evening cleaning and working times then that would be somewhat outside their normal duty but there is no problem with asking him/her to fill the ice bucket if you see him/her in the hall. They do take a, few hour, break during the afternoon. If they do fill it during this time it is definitely above and beyond.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

Old June 26th, 2006, 08:55 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike
If you want the ice bucket filled outside of the stewards normal morning and evening cleaning and working times then that would be somewhat outside their normal duty but there is no problem with asking him/her to fill the ice bucket if you see him/her in the hall.
This was something I was curious about. On all our cruises the stewards did their morning "things" and then weren't back until "turndown" time.

If we had been able to get extra ice in the middle of the afternoon, we would have tipped whomever got it for us very well! I know we can order ice from room service, but it was almost always melted before it got to us so we quit trying!

I don't know why the cruise lines can't put a small ice machine (and a coke machine, BTW) on every deck for passengers to get ice and drinks in the afternoon

"A truly happy person is one who can enjoy the scenery on a detour."

Carnival Inspiration 2002 Carnival Elation 2004
Grand Princess 2004 NCL Sun 2005
Sun Princess 2006 NCL Dream 2007
Caribbean Princess 2007 NCL Dawn 2008
Island Princess 2008 Island Princess 2009
Golden Princess 2009 Carnival Conquest 2010
Grand Princess 2010 Island Princess 2011
Grand Princess 2011 Carnival Magic 2012
Carnival Dream 2012 Island Princess 2013
Carnival Magic 2013 Carnival Legend 2014
Old June 26th, 2006, 09:08 PM
Passenger

we just got back from the victory.I left the automatic tipping in place,and on the last day gave my steward a thank you card with a nice note and 10 extra bucks.
Old June 27th, 2006, 12:18 AM
Captain

Send a message via Yahoo to wakedreams

I only tip extra because I like to have an extra ice bucket and extra towels each day. If I didn't request these things, then I most likely wouldn't tip beyond the automatic tipping unless I had a steward that went beyond the call of duty on their own accord. I have only had 1 steward that went above and beyond on their own, and that was Sixto on my very first cruise in 2002 ..... 4 years later I remember his name because he was that wonderful to us.
Carnival Triumph 11/2008
Carnival Celebration 10/2007
Carnival Victory 11/2006
Disney Wonder 1/2006
Carnival Legend 10/2005
Carnival Victory 3/2005
Carnival Triumph 8/2004
Carnival Sensation 6/2002
Old June 27th, 2006, 08:45 AM
Yeoman

Mike and Georgiagirl..............thanks for the input......this will help out alot.
Old June 27th, 2006, 09:35 AM
Admiral

We do not tip "upfront" to us this feels almost like a bribe. We have always received excellent service from our room stewards. We use the automatic tipping, but we will tip extra at the end for exceptional service.
Extra towels and ice request during the room stewards normal rounds are not what i would personally consider above and beyond.
Old June 27th, 2006, 10:18 AM
Cruise Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgia girl
I left the automatic tip on my sail and sign card amd our steward on the Glory was awesome.
We had ice everyday, clean room, towel animals,clean towels he was always smiling and offering to help so we bought a card from the gift shop and personally gave him extra $$$ the day before we got off the ship and thanked him.
I say if he or she done an outstanding job and made my cruise a joy then that person should keep the extra money for themselves,they worked hard for that extra cash not the waiters in the dining room or maitre"d.
Its so easy ..stick the cash in your pocket and get rid of the card and no body knows...

GG

My understanding of the above is that if any crew member is caught not turning in that extra tip, its grounds for immediate firing. Further, they are also responsible for their own airfare home. I personally do not believe any of the staff/crew is willing to do that to lose their job..... I further believe, pretty much from what I've read on-board, is that if you give them a gift card or a pre-paid calling card, then those are theirs to keep...
Old June 27th, 2006, 11:36 AM
Administrator
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elaine515
My understanding of the above is that if any crew member is caught not turning in that extra tip, its grounds for immediate firing. Further, they are also responsible for their own airfare home. I personally do not believe any of the staff/crew is willing to do that to lose their job..... I further believe, pretty much from what I've read on-board, is that if you give them a gift card or a pre-paid calling card, then those are theirs to keep...
This is incorrect. If you give any additional money to the staff they are allowed to keep it.

If you would like to know the policies regarding tipping on the cruise lines here is an article by Art Sbarsky, our Consumer Affairs Editor, that details how each lines policy. The key for all policies is to remain in automatic tipping program.

The Ins and Outs of Tipping Policies

Take care,
Mike

Old June 27th, 2006, 12:02 PM
Yeoman

Thanks Mike, it's good to know that those who have gone above and beyond the call of duty don't have to share their additional tips that I like to give them.
Old June 27th, 2006, 08:41 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to UConn1 Send a message via MSN to UConn1

I'm with Mike on this one. I tip the an extra $20 on first night if I need a little extra....towels, ice, extra pillows and blankets, only diet coke in mini bar, etc... the $20 has always gotten me excellent service, but I am sure that in some cases the steward doesn't go above and beyond even with extra $$$.

Not sure if they know I am Platinum or not or even if that makes a difference, but I have noticed on my last three cruises as Platinum, not one single request is ignored. and they have begun to say not just "Good Morning", but "Good Morning Miss Jodi" even on first meeting....as stupid as it may sound, that makes a differnce being called by name...

Jodi