Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old July 2nd, 2006, 01:53 PM
Beginner

Send a message via AIM to jmoskow
Default Beware BeforeYou Book Air Travel With Carnival

I have taken well over 30 cruises but nothing prepared me for what recently transpired with Carnival. Despite booking a Mediteranean cruise and paying in full months ago-I was notified some two weeks before the cruise was to sale that Carnival was invoking their "Forced Overnight" policy which required that I stay an additional night in Rome and pay $350 for a hotel room. They claim they were not able to find a flight returning on the day the ship docked(the ship docks at 8:00am and an internet search revealed several flights still available.)

What really is upsetting if indeed they were having problems getting flights they owe it to their customers to notify them ASAP not at the last moment when it is expensive and hard to find alternatives.

Again a word to the wise if you're thinkiing of booking air with Carnival make sure you ask about "Forced Overnight" or as I call it Stay and Pay
Sponsored Links
Old July 2nd, 2006, 02:39 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to UConn1 Send a message via MSN to UConn1

That is one of the reasons I don't book air through Carnival. On Friday, I booked the Freedom Transatlantic next October and I did not take the air. I found out which hotel they have a port transfer from and I am flying in the day before and staying at that hotel. I always fly in the day before, so $350 for the hotel was figured into budget. I hope to have enough FF miles to get a free ticket, but if not, I do have enough for an upgrade. I am expecting the air to run me anywhere from $800-1200 due to it being a one way ticket. I like to be the one in control of my flights and hotels, instead of hoping for the best and getting the worst.
Old July 2nd, 2006, 09:09 PM
First Mate

When booking air with the cruise line, you should always pay the air deviation fee, usually $50, to avoid such surprises. Their rules allow them to do this! So, in the future, pay the extra, and avoid such surprises! And, have a great cruise anyway!
Old July 5th, 2006, 08:13 AM
Beginner

Default Air travel by carnival - never again

Air travel and transporation provided by Carnival - NEVER AGAIN! Booked and paid 6 months prior - Air tickets arrived 3 days before departure....routed through 3 airports on the way there. Return flights not available until next day - shuttled to airport - arrived at 9:00 am and then we were responsible to get our luggae and find the hotel shuttle costing 10 euros each which came ever 20 minutes - took 2 hours. Once at the hotel could not get our rooms until 2:30 - 2 people in a room - we had six - needed 3 rooms and finally was allowed in the last one at 5:30. Just sat in the lobby all day - they could not handle our luggage. This unbelievalbe story happen to 30 other guest in the hotel. ALL LIberty cruising guests - total disregard for service! We had to leave our hotel at 4:30 am - for our flights home - again routed through 3 airports - 27 hours of traveling time. No taxis were available - had to rent a bus for our party and two others. Carnival should be assamed of themselves!!