Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old July 3rd, 2006, 08:58 AM
First Mate

Default yes or no for Carnival Sea Miles ????????????????

I am still trying to figure if the Carnival Charge card Sea Miles is a good deal or not, does anyone have an opinion on this ??????????
I booked using them I was only able to cash in 25,000 points as I was not quite up to 50,000 or something like that. I only saved three hundred dollars, and I had to use a certain travel agency, so I could not even look for a better price, I might have gotten a good price I'm not sure.
Anyone ......................... thanks
Gail
Sponsored Links
Old July 3rd, 2006, 02:06 PM
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to Luanne Russo

Hi Gail,

I have only had my card for about 6 months, and still to early for it to count, but I have been doing some checking, and supposedly, you are able to compare prices, and bring the new price back to Sea Miles and they will honor it. I guess time will tell. The interest rate is very high, so it has to be paid off each month, or it won't matter about your sea miles.

Luanne
Conquest 2006
Conquest 2007
Ecstasy 2008
Valor B2B 2008

Conquest Virtual Cruise Topic Link
Old July 4th, 2006, 09:09 AM
First Mate

Luanne, I just did some shopping, and got a quote frrom Carnival, and I only saved 70.00, by trading in 25,000 points, I also have almost 25,000 that I was not able to use, so it is deffinately not worth it, they told me at the time it was 300.00 savings for the three of us.
I will go back to the free gas for using the Chase MC we sure could use that with todays prices, thanks for answering this.
Gail
Old July 4th, 2006, 10:13 AM
Admiral

Gail,

Thanks for the info. I guess I will decide after my cruise, what I want to do with the card.

Luanne
Conquest 2006
Conquest 2007
Ecstasy 2008
Valor B2B 2008

Old July 4th, 2006, 10:23 AM
Captain

Send a message via AIM to David West Send a message via Yahoo to David West

We don't have one. Your better off finding a card with a lower interest rate, and gives you points for something else.But if you can pay your balance off at the end of each month, it might be worth it.

We'll let Luanne be the test subject .

Happy Cruising;
David
Legend May 2009
Liberty - Aug.23 2008
Fantasy - Sept.22 2007
Fantasy - Sept.27 2007 (B 2 B )
Holiday- Sept.- 2006
Valor- May - 2006
Conquest- August- 2003
Inspiration-Sept.-2001
Enchanted Isle- Sept.- 1999
Old July 4th, 2006, 10:30 AM
Admiral

It's only worth it if you pay it off in full each month. The rate is way too high. On the other hand, I have a coworker who charges EVERYTHING on her Sea Miles card, (gasoline, lunch, grocerys, everything) but pays it off each and every month. She and her husband take a seven day almost free once a year, so I guess in her case, it's absolutely worth it.
Ken
Old July 4th, 2006, 11:09 AM
First Mate

o.k. Ken that is what I am trying to say, I do charge everything, and had almost 50,000 points, I do pay it off every month, and I still only saved $70.00 from what carnival quoted me. How does youe co-worker get it alsmost paid for, I am doing something wrong ?????????
Gail
Old July 4th, 2006, 11:24 AM
Admiral

I wish they would let you use it for things like on board credit, and excursions. I could pay for the cruise, and they have something to show for it. I am going to do the pay with method, but I'll bet they will never beat the Military discount, unless I can save enough for a freebie.

Luanne
Conquest 2006
Conquest 2007
Ecstasy 2008
Valor B2B 2008

Old July 4th, 2006, 03:10 PM
Admiral

I don't know how she does it Gail, but I'll check with her in the next few days, (I don't see her everyday) and see if she can give me any extra insight into her plan. Her husband qualifys for the Military discount I'm sure, and I've heard her say something about other devious methods she uses. They do take multiple cruises, so I would guess that she charges those on the card as well. I think that counts as double points too. Anyway, if there are any great secrets that she reveals, I'll let you know.
Ken
Old July 4th, 2006, 03:11 PM
Admiral

I don't know how she does it Gail, but I'll check with her in the next few days, (I don't see her everyday) and see if she can give me any extra insight into her plan. Her husband qualifys for the Military discount I'm sure, and I've heard her say something about other devious methods she uses. They do take multiple cruises each year, so I would guess that she charges those on the card as well. I think that counts as double points too. Anyway, if there are any great secrets that she reveals, I'll let you know.
Ken
Old July 5th, 2006, 08:58 AM
Admiral

Not worth it to us

Cruised more times than I can remember.

Good people sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Courage and perserverance have a magical talisman; before which difficulties disappear and obstacles vanish into the air.

Pick your company wisely! Hang around people who are going to help you become all God created you to be.
Old July 5th, 2006, 10:42 PM
First Mate

o.k., I just called Sea Miles and Squacked, and told them I am going to stop using the card so they gave me another 36.00 off. WOW!!!!
that will pay for one of my soda cards.

Gail
Old July 5th, 2006, 11:09 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to dfhawk60 Send a message via Yahoo to dfhawk60 Send a message via Skype™ to dfhawk60

still does not seem to add up to me. $70 off the original trip plus $36 is a total savings 106. you had to spend $25,000 on the card to get the 25000 points. if you spent $25,000 on a standard discover card and got 1% cash back, you would have gotten $250 in cash that you could spend any way you please. and this is based on only the 25000 points that you used for this trip not the remaing points you still have. looks to me like 1% from discover or 5% from GM toward a new GM car is a much better deal
RCCL Navagitor of the Seas - Nov 26, 2005 (W.Caribbean) | Carnival Glory - April 15, 2006 (E.Caribbean) | Carnival Victory - Aug 21, 2006 (Canada) | Carnival Glory - July 28, 2007 (W.Caribbean) | Carnival Fascination - Aug 4, 2008 West Caribbean | HAL Eruodam - April 11, 2009 East Caribbean | Carnival Fredom - Aug 9, 2009 | Carnival Pride Feb 20,2011 (Bahamas) | NCL PrideOfAmerica April 16,2011 (Hawaii)
Old July 6th, 2006, 12:42 PM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via AIM to jack124

i had my points transferred over to the sea miles when my old card discontinued the cruise benefit. i almost had enough for the free 7 day cruise when the points needed changed. i saved up and now have almost enough for the free 7 day balcony. since we are going to disney in 07, i started using the disney card to accrue disney dollars. when we get back from disney, i will start up with sea miles again. when i finally redeem the free 7 day balcony, i will say good bye to sea miles, as the redemption values for their program stinks. i charge everything for work, so points add up fast.
Old July 8th, 2006, 03:03 PM
First Mate

You have to go through a certain agency to book your cruise? Can you get the military quote from Carnival then call this agency back to let them know you have a military rate - will they honor it? I just received the card recently. What I'm hearing here is not too great!
Old July 8th, 2006, 07:19 PM
First Mate

Hi Cris
When I called Carnival to book my cruise, they stated they had to transfer me to Sea miles, so my guess is that it has to be them, I'm not sure about other discounts as I do not qualify, for any of them, I'm too young to be a senior I'm too old to be a young one, and never been in the military , but God Bless all of you out their that are .

Gail