CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   Carnival Cruise Lines (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/carnival-cruise-lines/)
-   -   What did you forget to bring that you really needed? (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/carnival-cruise-lines/316941-what-did-you-forget-bring-you-really-needed.html)

Libragirl July 9th, 2006 06:06 PM

What did you forget to bring that you really needed?

I have learned to make a list of everything I think I need before I pack for my cruise. It took me several cruises before I started doing this, though. I forgot to bring aloe vera gel once and got a bad sunburn. Aloe vera on the ship costs about 3 times what it does at Walmart. I also bring an extra pair of reading glasses. I lost a pair on one cruise, and thankfully someone turned them in. (I am lost without my reading glasses.) I love the Las Vegas style shows, but they tend to be very loud, so I am taking ear plugs from now on to help tone down the volume.

Libragirl :D

cruzaddict July 9th, 2006 07:00 PM

nightlight - the rooms are VERY dark, good for some not for me, we had to leave the bathroom light on and try to keep the door cracked

highlighters - to mark the capers for what everyone wanted to do

charger for rechargeable batteries used in digital camera - had two sets of batteries but no charger :x

I already have my list started for next cruise which is over a yr away :shock:

popsec July 9th, 2006 07:26 PM

More money......kept donating to those darn slot machines!

cwr322 July 9th, 2006 07:37 PM

Top This One!

We started packing weeks ahead of our cruise. I thought I was so organized! That first night when we started unpacking, I nearly had heart-failure when I realized that I had left my make-up bag on the bathroom cabinet that morning! I thought my life was over! Had to go to breakfast the next morning with only the minimum make-up that was in my purse, and then go shopping and spend $65.00 on just what I had to have to survive. Where is Walmart when you need them! :oops:

popsec July 9th, 2006 07:49 PM

Hubby was getting ready for 1st formal night and realized he'd forgotten to pack his tux shirts........panicked until he called the service desk and found out he could rent a tux shirt for the length of the cruise.

dusty July 10th, 2006 12:30 PM

on my alaska cruise i had only packed 2 pair of socks :shock: . at the first port i bought some more.

and money ( i didnt forget i just didnt have anymore to bring ) LOL .

mehawk July 10th, 2006 02:20 PM

Dramamine patch

dina July 10th, 2006 03:28 PM

extra bandaids for DH. He got blisters on his heels from shoe rub. We ended up picking up more.

LadyDi July 10th, 2006 04:45 PM

Forgot extra sunscreen and let me tell you that either you can pay the robbery price on board or buy the stuff in port that will allow you to really get crisply burned beyond recognition!

Terrible thing when you are super fair like dh & I are! The green glowing nightlight was a must have, and dh took a power strip to plug in various rechargable items (walkie/talkies, camera batty's...). Take the Aloe w/ Lidocaine for post-sunburns and don't forget the basic Motrin and Tylenol.

Happy cruising!
Lady Di LOL

LisaK July 11th, 2006 11:25 AM

Nitelite, Travel Alarm Clock, Immodium, Tide Pen, Croakies for eyeglasses.

Libragirl July 15th, 2006 01:02 PM

Another must have for me: an extra pair of sunglasses!!!!!

Mike M July 15th, 2006 04:00 PM

On my third or fourth cruise I was so concerned with all the "stuff" that I needed that I forgot our travel wallet with the passports, cruise docs, and airline information inside. It was on the kitchen table. Luckily we were only a few minutes away from home when I remembered.

Don't get too wrapped up in the non-essentials and forget the most important stuff. LOL

Remember, that in almost all instances, if you forget something you can buy it.

Take care,
Mike

wakedreams July 17th, 2006 08:55 AM

I forgot my hairbrush on my 2nd cruise. It was interesting. The carnival shop, didn't have a decent hairbrush. I usually forget something. I should start making my list, my next cruise is in November.

kiwihotchocolate July 17th, 2006 12:23 PM

If you plan on videotaping, make sure to bring extra tapes. I couldn't find any on the boat, and my last tape ended after our last port of call. (They do have some camera equipment, though.)

mteague July 18th, 2006 04:32 PM

My dear ADHD husband left my garment bag on the bedroom floor. :shock: It contained all formal wear for me and my daughter along with all of our shoes and almost all of my shirts :x . When the bag didn't arrive, he didn't confess. He let me rant and rave at the purser's office. They finally placed a ship to shore call and my dear nephew verified that he was staring at the blue garment bag on the floor of my bedroom :oops: . Only then did my dear husband admit that he did not load the bag. Daughter and I missed formal nights, I purchased ridiculously priced clothing on the ship and made him pay dearly for his forgetfulness :twisted: . The group we were with were extremely amused over this incident. They loved to watch him squirm as I headed to the gift shops! We actually had a great time after that first night. He was the talk of the ship! All the men pitied him and all the women were grateful he didn't belong to them! LOL

I have learned this.

1. I will not allow him to be in charge of the luggage anymore.
2. I always check the entire house before we leave to go anywhere.
3. After 30 years of marriage, if this is the worst he has done, I'm
happy!

I booked a cruise during May 2007 and I think I'll let him go. :wink:

Libragirl July 18th, 2006 07:26 PM

Mstill,

I think you handled that very well. I also agree with the three statements you made. :D :-P LOL

Libragirl (Mary)

Tompo8190 July 19th, 2006 02:15 PM

Libragirl (Mary)....

I guess I would have to say...Vinegar. :shock:

rescuedad July 19th, 2006 02:51 PM

mstill, Us men do that stuff on purpose so it no longer becomes our responsibility. You may have won the battle that day but you lost the war! LOLOL another win for the men!!

Forgot the nightlight. I like to read myself to sleep and at 2am all were asleep when I came in and had no light to read by!

Libragirl July 19th, 2006 03:23 PM

Tompo,

I'm adding vinegar to my list for my next cruise!! :-P :D :)

Libragirl (Mary)

Tompo8190 July 19th, 2006 06:32 PM

It's not a bad idea...you never know when you are going to get attacked by fish! LOL

mteague July 20th, 2006 01:19 PM

RescueDad,

So you really think he won.....Well I'll let you in on a little secret.....I don't mind checking the luggage. However, I do mind mowing the grass, fixing flats and broken toilets, painting walls, changing oil, bathing dogs, squishing bugs, etc. He gets to do all of these wonderful things because he knows I just can't do it. I'm not saying that I don't know how to take care of the messy things in life :wink: , I just choose not to.

Just remember this........women learn to master the helpless act at a very young age.

I would say we are even.

RobRen July 20th, 2006 05:38 PM

I make a very detailed packing list and check off each item once it goes into the suitcase. Each suitcase is then carried to the front door where it remains until the shuttle service picks us up.

I know exactly how many suitcases we are bringing (I pack a lot) and do a quick count at the door, at the curb, at the airport check in, as we board with our carry-ons, etc., etc. Each person in our family knows how many bags he is supposed to have and how many carry-ons.

In all the hussle between point A & B, it's so easy to forget and leave something behind. Your mind is on 30 different things at once and before you know it, your minus something. The quick count really helps us!

tweetybird July 24th, 2006 11:42 AM

My family and I just came back from our cruise on the Elation. Had a wonderful time, but went to dinner with wet hair because there was no blow dryer in our cabin. I thought there were blow dryers on all the ships, but I guess not. :( So don't forget your blow dryer and also make sure you pack a sweater or jacket because it gets cold with the air conditioning blowing (of course I forget my sweater)

Tweety bird

Libragirl July 24th, 2006 12:55 PM

Another item I plan to take on my next cruise is envelopes. I know you can get them at the purser's desk, but it is more convenient to just take some. I like to tip workers who I think deserve it, and I usually write a little note on the envelope thanking them for making my cruise so special.

Most of the workers are young and very far from home, and just the look on their faces when you hand them the envelope with the note on it makes the cruise even more special to me.

HAPPY CRUISING TO ALL!!!

Libragirl (Mary) :D

hockeyluver July 24th, 2006 06:47 PM

I would have to agree with vinegar, gotta have it for the fries!! My daughters had about 30 little packets in a ziploc bag and we forgot it in the van!! They knew they needed to bring it for thier fries in Florida but forgot all about bringing it on the ship last cruise.

flexiblekitten July 25th, 2006 02:12 AM

Okay, besides Fries..what else do you need vinegar for?

bguppies July 25th, 2006 02:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by flexiblekitten
Okay, besides Fries..what else do you need vinegar for?

Great for french fries. (at least for Marylanders)
I know it is good for jellyfish stings.
I think I read it is also good for spines from seas nettles, etc...

Bill

Libragirl July 26th, 2006 01:23 PM

According to Bragg's Apple Cider Vinegar, it is good for EVERYTHING. My brother, who has arthritis, told me to drink a mixture of vinegar, water, and honey every morning and that it would help alleviate the stiffness of my arthritis. He swears it has helped him. I did buy some, but so far I have just been using it in my salad dressing.

As for fries, I haven't tried that yet. My daughters dip their fries in a mixture of mayonaise and mustard. They dip their pizza in ranch dressing. I keep telling them that pizza is fattening enough without adding ranch dressing to it. Oh well, to each his own.

Libragirl (Mary)

criscomia July 26th, 2006 01:31 PM

I;m a list type person and have already made my list and keep adding to it for my next cruise. I seem to have soooooo many suit cases, I don't think I ever forgot anything. Now that I've said that, watch me forget something really important. :o

dbch911 July 27th, 2006 08:41 AM

I use small chip clips to clip my towel onto my deck chair, post its to leave notes for the hubby and room steward in the cabin, stain stick, emergency sewing kit, baby wipes, and Visine.