Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old July 11th, 2006, 10:37 AM
First Mate

Default Can Family & friends come onboard before ship leaves?

My sister and family live in Florida and wants to meet us at the Miami port before the ship leaves. Does anyone know if they are allowed onboard the cruise ship before it leaves?

Tweetybird
Sponsored Links
Old July 11th, 2006, 10:45 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

NO, they won't be allowed onboard.

If you agent happens to have some really good connections at Carnival they MAY be able to arrange for them to tour the ship, and have lunch. But this is something that has to be arranged well in advance.
Old July 11th, 2006, 10:49 AM
First Mate

Thank you for the information.

Tweetybird
Old July 11th, 2006, 11:13 AM
Admiral

No, sorry- those days are long gone. They will be able to get into the terminal but thats it.
Old July 11th, 2006, 01:51 PM
First Mate

LisaK,

Why is that? Is it since Sept. 11? Does anyone know? If it is, I understand perfectly, because I live in N.Y.

Tweetybird
Old July 11th, 2006, 10:46 PM
Cruise Maniac

Probably because it would be easy for people to stow away in someone's (family or friend's) cabin and grab a free cruise. For instance we're booked in a suite. It CAN hold up to 5 people, and we're only 3. So a couple of friends come on to say goodbye and just disappear into your cabin till sail time.......free cruise. You could easily bring aboard their luggage with yours since you're not restricted in number of bags that you bring on.

Kim
Old July 12th, 2006, 05:13 AM
Admiral

it's the same logic why people who are meeting you at the airport can no longer go to the gate, they have to wait beyond security check point
Old July 12th, 2006, 11:39 AM
Cruise Maniac

Default Sign of the Times

As a kid - I remember visiting relatives on board before they left for their cruise. Those days are long over - signs of a more complicated and dangerous world
Old July 12th, 2006, 02:08 PM
Yeoman

tweetybird.........I called to see if I could get through the security check, just to go to the ship (not get on the ship) to surprise Elaine and rescuedad when they left on Sunday, but they told me that I or someone in my vehicle would have to be holding a valid ticket for one of the ships that was scheduled to leave that day to even get through the security check point. Needless to say, I didn't go to the port. Hey, I tried.
Anyway, things have changed since 9/11.......I'm glad they have. Makes me feel a little more secure when cruising.

I hope everyone has a wonderful cruise!
Old July 13th, 2006, 11:40 AM
First Mate

Thanks for all the information you guys sent back. I would rather be safe also, then have some crazed person come aboard the ship.

Tweetybird
Old July 13th, 2006, 12:38 PM
Cruise Maniac

The practice of allowing visitors aboard ended even before 9/11. Sometime in the mid 90's I believe. But even when visitors were allowed, they had to give thier drivers license or other ID to security before boarding. That's how they kept track of potential stowaways!!
Previous Cruises since 1985 Carnival (32) - Holiday X4, Jubilee, Celebration X3, Fantasy X2, Ecstasy, Sensation X2, Fascination X2, Destiny X2, Victory, Triumph X2, Glory X2, Legend X3, Pride X2, Miracle X3, Dream, Splendor
Cunard - Countess
NCL - Norway
Premier - Rembrandt
Celebrity - Zenith
RCI - Explorer of the Seas

Old July 13th, 2006, 07:26 PM
Cruise Maniac

What a pain in the rear it must have been for them though. Can't say as I blame them for stopping the practice.

Kim