Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old July 11th, 2006, 02:57 PM
Beginner

Default Seasickness

Hi everyone,

I had read on this forum that someone had suggested taking ginger capsules to prevent seasickness. Has anyone tried this? I've taken Bonine before and it still made me sleepy even though it's not supposed to. Any ideas? Only a few more days!!!!

Thanks, tbc7001
Sponsored Links
Old July 11th, 2006, 03:21 PM
Admiral

I've heard they are good for upset stomach but I don't know about seasickness.

Life is too short to let the ship of your dreams sail without you.

Carnival Destiny Feb. 2006
Carnival Fascination Feb. 2007
Royal Caribbean Grandeur of the Seas Feb. 2008 The DTW & MsBJ tour
Carnival Valor MsBJ and Dina Feb. 2009
Carnival Glory MsBJ and Dina Feb. 2010
Carnival Dream MsBJ and Dina Feb. 2011
Old July 11th, 2006, 03:25 PM
Yeoman

A friend of mine went on a sailboat cruise (large sailboat) he took 1 ginger pill in the morning and 1 at night and was never sick. He started taking them a couple days before he left. Also, try Meclazine (spelling). You need a prescription for that, but I took it my last cruise during really rough seas (20+ ft.) and it never made me sleepy. Either that or I was scared to death.....one of the two.

I hope everyone has a wonderful cruise!
Old July 11th, 2006, 04:12 PM
Admiral

Meclazine is the Rx name for Bonine. You can get it over the counter, if you buy a bottle of 100. Oddly enough, if you cruise a lot, or are prone to seasickness, it's a good deal to get the full bottle, as it isn't a lot more expensive for the 100 Meclazine, as it is for just a pack or two or Bonine.
I've never tried the Ginger, but lots of people will use nothing else. The lovely Mrs. Jones (Vita) and I use Meclazine each and every cruise, and have never gotten sick, even when others were "Ralphing" everywhere.
Have a great cruise.
Ken
Old July 11th, 2006, 04:45 PM
Beginner

I guess I'll try the ginger capsules...I'll let you guys know!!!

Thanks for the input!

tbc7001
Old July 11th, 2006, 05:37 PM
Captain

We buy the Walmart version of Dramamine. It works great, but it does make you sleepy. Actually, I took it in the morning and was alright all day, but I did sleep really well that night. That wasn't a problem for me because I have trouble sleeping normally. I woke up feeling great the next morning.
Old July 11th, 2006, 09:35 PM
Yeoman

I never had a problem until I had to take bloodpressure meds. Now my doc gives me a presciption for transaderm patch I wear behind my ear. My first big cruise was the day the Tsunami hit 12/26/2004 18-22 foot seas most of the time since then I wear my patch.

Victory 12/2004
Triumph 10/2005
Victory 06/2006
CELEBRATION 12/2006
SENSATION 01/2007
Liberty 05/2007
Victory 10/ 2007
Spirit 12/2007
Imagination 5/2008

Miracle 12/2008 PLATINUM (Aft Suite)
Back 2 Back
Imagination 12/2008
Old July 11th, 2006, 10:04 PM
First Mate

When I was preparing for my 1st cruise I was concerned that I might get seasick. I couldn't decide which to take so I bought dramamine, bonine and ginger pills. It does say on the bottle of ginger pills that they are for motion sickness. I followed the instructions on the bottle and started taking them the night before. I never had to used anything else, but I am not 100% positive that I would have gotten sick, I only know that I did not, and it is definately worth a try because it does not make you sleepy. Good Luck!

Free Cruise Clocks
Carnival Conquest - 12/4/2005
Old July 11th, 2006, 10:23 PM
Familiar Face

Send a message via Yahoo to Tompo8190

Try Hyland's Motion Sickness medication. It is all natural and the pills melt under your tongue. I have tried everything out there, including prescription meclizine because I have vertigo. These pills really work well, and have no side effects. You can also safely drink alcohol with them which is advisable not to while taking other motion sickness meds.

I even used them while I was pregnant for nausea.

You can find them at any drug store or online at drugstore.com for about 6 or 7 dollars.

Good luck.
Old July 12th, 2006, 10:45 AM
Beginner

Default Pickled Ginger for Seasickness

If your ship has a sushi bar, try using the pickled ginger for seasickness. I bought the patch (which did really weird things to my eyesight) and had ginger pills, but still got sea sick. Someone suggested trying the pickled ginger, so hit the sushi bar. Eating a little instantly calmed my stomach. I started keeping a little with me at all times.
Old July 12th, 2006, 11:07 AM
Admiral

ginger works for me. I don't take the capsules. I drink ginger-ale- just make sure it has real ginger in it, not just flavoring. Ginger cookies as well as crystalized ginger candy works great. The sushi is a great idea, hadn't thought about that one, fresh ginger would be the best.
FYI - Ginger capsules should not be taken if you are on any kind of blood thinners, also if you are taking high blood pressure meds you should ask your doctor if you can take the ginger capsules.
Just as a footnote: 9 times out of 10 unless you are prone to motion sickness when you ride, drive or fly nothing will happen to you while on your cruise. The ships have wonderfull stabalizers. A lot of times seasickness is mistaken for over indulgance with food and alcohol. Play it by ear, but at the VERY first sign of that "funny feeling" get outside into the fresh air, do something active if its just going for a walk and eat or drink the ginger.
Old July 12th, 2006, 02:42 PM
Beginner

Thanks lisaK...I am on high blood pressure medication and I hadn't thought of that!!!

I'll put in a call to the M.D. I leaning towards just "wingin it" and see what happens!

tbc7001
Old July 14th, 2006, 11:15 AM
Beginner

Meclazine is not a prescription,

Look on the back of your bottle of Bonine or Dramamine 2 its the active ingredient, also normally you can go to the actual pharmacy in most stores and ask for a generic meclazine and they will give you a bottle of 100 for $10~

check the price you payed thats about what 1/5 of the retail price
Old July 14th, 2006, 01:43 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Ginger actually controls emesis in the stomach and helps digestion. This is why you feel "less sick" when you take it.

I just learned this yesterday when I was at the neurologist. I figured that since I was paying him $400 for a twenty minute appointment I should get my monies worth.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old July 14th, 2006, 01:46 PM
Yeoman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike M
Ginger actually controls emesis in the stomach and helps digestion. This is why you feel "less sick" when you take it.

I just learned this yesterday when I was at the neurologist. I figured that since I was paying him $400 for a twenty minute appointment I should get my monies worth.

Take care,
Mike
Mike.............HA HA HA HA . Thanks for the information, now we all know and it only cost YOU $400.00.

I hope everyone has a wonderful cruise!
Old July 14th, 2006, 02:51 PM
Passenger

Send a message via MSN to izards

My husband and daughter both get very motion sick, so they both took the ginger before hand and on the cruise as my mom suggested because it has always worked for her. However, he also got the patch just in case.

Luckily we did because unfortunately, it didn't help either of them at all.

I have always heard good stuff about it, but having a couple of options might be the best thing.

Enjoy your trip!!!!