Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old July 11th, 2006, 05:13 PM
Passenger

Default Do we dare book flight with cruise with Carnival?

I've perused the boards and some people are happy with their Carnival flights, others are downright unhappy with the flight times, etc.

We're debating purchasing the airfare with our cruise through Carnival, but after I've read the postings here, I'm hesitant to do so. We have booked our own flights separately in the past since we had airline miles.

We're flying from Seattle to either Orlando or Miami (we're debating between the Glory and the Valor at this point) so we'll have to fly day prior to cruise.

Also, anyone know if we can try to upgrade to 1st class flight (assuming Carnival books us by chance on an airline that we have mileage to upgrade with)? We have miles, just not enough for full roundtrip flights on a single airline...

Any tips or ideas or suggestions?? Thanks in advance!
Sponsored Links
Old July 11th, 2006, 07:09 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

I think I'd look at just booking your flights yourselves, much nicer to pick times/flights, etc. to fit your schedule than leaving it up to the cruiseline. I think you can also get better prices too, just do some shopping around.

Message Boards Moderator
Old July 12th, 2006, 09:08 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Darcy

I find I get better prices and flight times by booking my air myself. I would check it both ways and see what works best for you.
Monarch of the Seas 3/06
Carnival Inspiration 8/05
Carnival Miracle 4/05
Carnival Inspiration 4/04
Sovereign of the Seas 4/03
Old July 12th, 2006, 09:55 AM
Captain

Send a message via AIM to David West Send a message via Yahoo to David West

Most diffently, book your airflight's yourself. We saved over $200.00 by doing this We used www.AA.com (American Airlines ) Southwest, is a good airline also.

Another good note about booking your own is, picking your own time to fly. Also, try to book at least a 1-2 hour layover between flights. ( if you have connecting flights ) A little delay here, and a little delay there, could have you dashing through the airport , and hitting the panic button.

And on your departing flight, book a later flight out. I assure you, that you don't won't to be in the airport before noon. Its a madhouse to say the least :evil: I would book a departing flight out around 3 or 4 pm. Or maybe even the early flight out the next morning.

Hadn't been on the Glory yet, but I can tell you about the Valor
If you do book the Valor, you won't regret it We stayed at the Downtown Holiday Inn in Miami. Your just across the street from the Market place. I would diffently stay there again.

May you have blue skies, and happy sailing;
David
Legend May 2009
Liberty - Aug.23 2008
Fantasy - Sept.22 2007
Fantasy - Sept.27 2007 (B 2 B )
Holiday- Sept.- 2006
Valor- May - 2006
Conquest- August- 2003
Inspiration-Sept.-2001
Enchanted Isle- Sept.- 1999
Old July 13th, 2006, 05:46 PM
Passenger

Thanks for the tips everyone!

I've been checking into booking the flights myself and I like having the freedom to choose the flights, even though I'm not finding anything cheaper than Carnival... so I think I'll go that route and not book the flights thru Carnival. Afterall, I don't really want to get booked on a red-eye and essentially lose the 1st day on the cruise due to lack of sleep!

Now the dilemma is to choose between the Valor and the Glory - but from what I hear we can't go wrong either way...

PS - I love this message board! So full of great info and perspectives. Thanks!
Old July 15th, 2006, 04:08 PM
Passenger

dear ns2470,
I was going to use carnival for my cruise in nov. on the glory but carnival
wanted $399 per person for the flight from pittsburgh to orlando.
just booked the air on southwest this morning with direct nonstop
flights for $354.20 for two people which is a mere $445.80 savings. not
bad so I say book your own travel but always leave one day early
so you don't miss your cruise with a flight delay
Old July 15th, 2006, 07:48 PM
Admiral

I agree with Mikee, if you do book your own flight, do whatever it takes to fly in the day before, because the ship don't wait for no fool who books his own!

Happy cruising!

8/92 Mex. Riv. Commodore
9/98, 9/00, 9/02 & 7/04 Caribbean - Paradise
10/00, 08/05 Pac. Wtrs. Holiday, Monarch
04/06 Hawaii - Celebrity Summit
09/07 Alaska - Celebrity Summit
07/09 Western Caribbean RCCL Liberty of the Seas
Old July 15th, 2006, 09:05 PM
Passenger

Thanks everyone!

We ended up booking the Glory in December (just a few minutes ago too!) and we're using airline miles for trip. Turns out I had more airline miles than I originally thought! I couldn't find any flights that were less than $1k pp roundtrip - and Carnival wanted more than that... so definitely a good use of those miles!

We're flying out a day early since we're coming from the west coast.

WOO HOO! Can't wait!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old July 15th, 2006, 09:50 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to UConn1 Send a message via MSN to UConn1

If you do book your own flights, fly in the day prior to your cruise. They will not be sympathetic if a flight delay causes you to miss the cruise.

Jodi
Old July 16th, 2006, 10:41 AM
Yeoman

Default book flight witht the cruise line

NEVER.

i want to be in controll of the airline of my choice, flight times, and the cost is much less on my own. i go the day before so i always get my own airfare and get a good hotel room through priceline for the night before the cruise.
Old July 16th, 2006, 11:51 AM
Passenger

Send a message via AIM to Wnt2loveuforever Send a message via Yahoo to Wnt2loveuforever

Me personally i originally booked my airfare with carnival..it was like 425 p/p. I live in saint louis, mo. So before i canceled my airfare with carnival i shopped around..Luckily, amercian airlines dropped their price from stl to miami and i got r/t for 150 p/p. So with that said, i canceled the carnival airfare and am going down the day before. Going down the day before guarantee's that you will not miss the ship..even if you go down the day before and your flight is delayed..Better to be safe than sorry.
Old July 16th, 2006, 12:37 PM
Passenger

For a Caribbean Cruise during the hurricane season - I recently booked my airfare through Carnival based on destination of cruise and sailing time of year...If you're traveling the Caribbean Islands and it's during the hurricane season you may consider booking airfare through Carnival only because everything will be covered...For example, if the ship has to be rerouted, stay out for an extra day, come in early, etc. all will be covered...If you book your own airfare, you're on your own...Just something to consider...[/b]
Old July 16th, 2006, 12:42 PM
Passenger

Send a message via AIM to Wnt2loveuforever Send a message via Yahoo to Wnt2loveuforever

Also, it is good to have the travelers insurance, especially during hurricane season..I have great insurance and covers anything and everything..
Old July 16th, 2006, 12:43 PM
Yeoman

very good point. i book my cruises around the kids being in school and not during hurricane season so i had not considered that as a plus for booking with the ship. if i ever so i will remember your tip.
Old July 16th, 2006, 02:57 PM
Beginner

Who do you have your miles with????
Old July 17th, 2006, 03:40 PM
Passenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amy Wilson
Who do you have your miles with????
We pooled our miles on American Airlines... my husband & I both had a pile... Found a couple flights that would work for us.