Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old July 24th, 2006, 10:02 PM
Captain

Default Your Thoughts On Carnival Glory October 7/06

My girlfriend and I are seriously considering a cruise on the date listed above on Carnival Glory to Cozumel, Belize, Costa Maya, and Nassau.

This will be our first cruise ever.

I've always wanted to go on a cruise all my life. Being from Atlantic Canada, I love boats, and even enjoyed the 12 hour ferry rides back home...Anyway...

Gotta start the questions somewhere

1. What are your opinions on Carnival Glory overal?
2. The date we are considering, should this be of majoy concern for Hurricanes?

Thanx,
Krunch
Sponsored Links
Old July 24th, 2006, 10:24 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to UConn1 Send a message via MSN to UConn1

The Glory is my favorite ship, I cannot wait until September. A good friend just got off the Glory Saturday (West Carib) and had a blast. I also did her in 04 Western, loved the ship, but hated the itin.

However, I much prefer the Eastern Carib over Western and would suggest to anyone doing their first cruise to start out with the Eastern. Just my opinion, but go with what interests you.

We often cruise during Hurricane season and have yet to have a problem - a couple of ports changed, but it was for our safety. No big deal.

Jodi
Old July 24th, 2006, 11:02 PM
Admiral

Just returned from the western itinerary on the Glory. The Glory is a great ship, it was clean and the staff were friendly and efficient. However, I have also sailed on the Valor and much prefer the decor on the Valor and the energy on the Valor was not represented on the Glory and, for some reason, although the menu choices were exactly the same, the food on the Valor was much better. The best thing about sailing on the Glory was the Cruise Director, Wee Jimmy. As far as itinerary is concerned, I would never book the western itinerary again, I hated it. Out of four stops, three were in Mexico and the fourth was in Nassau where I have been numerous times. Cozumel has lost its luster after the terrible hurricanes last year devastated it, the pier is still under construction and the lush foliage is no longer there, just dead trees. The residents are trying real hard to get things back to normal but they have a long way to go. We were able to dock at the reconstructed part of the pier but there was another ship anchored off-shore that tendered people in. Belize is the nastiest place I've ever been to, even worse than Roatan, very third world and deplorable living conditions, horrible roads, and pushy vendors. We took a shore excursion to Altun Ha over a poorly paved, single lane road which was the bumpiest road I've ever been on, we couldn't wait to get back to the ship. Seeing the Mayan ruins were not enough to calm my dread of the ride back to the port. And, I do not understand why people love Costa Maya, there is nothing there, a few shops at the end of the pier with irritating shop owners badgering you as you walk past their kiosks. We took a taxi to Majahual where there are more annoying vendors with strawmarket-type shops that you have to walk past to reach the beach area, we stayed 5 minutes then returned to the safety of the ship. I agree with UConn1, I much prefer the eastern Caribbean itinerary, St. Thomas and St. Maarten are gorgeous, great shopping, friendly people, beautiful beaches, clean, good restaurants, etc.
Old July 24th, 2006, 11:49 PM
Captain

Thanx guys, I appreciate it. Hey that's what the board is for right? Learning! Maybe I will rethink and look at the eastern Caribean.

Anyone else with any other comments?

Krunch
Old July 25th, 2006, 07:47 AM
Captain

Glory is a great ship, and since we drive down, Port Canaveral saves us several hours drive time over other ports. We enjoyed the western route, but it was before the hurricane. We're booked on the Dec 9th eastern route now. If your plans are flexible, the prices are even cheaper then than the dates mentioned and the hurricane season should be over by then.
Glory (eastern) 12/2006
Destiny 01/2009
Old July 25th, 2006, 08:33 AM
Admiral

Read my review of the Glory and the Miracle, Krunch. The Glory is a wonderful ship.

It depends on what you are looking for in the Eastern vs. Western debate. The Eastern is much "tamer" but also more touristy. If you are looking for safe, clean and lots of shopping, go for the Eastern.

One of the things we liked about Costa Maya was the lack of tourist centers. We rented a golf cart and spent the afternoon in Mahauhual on a beautiful Mexican beach drinking coronas.

Belize is most definately a third world country - what we wanted to see! If I see one more Diamonds International store I'll scream! The bus ride to Altun Ha was fascinating. We went thru Belize City with a great commentary from the tour guide discussing the local economy, politics, etc. Diving and snorkeling in Belize are known as some of the best in the world.

Good luck.

dorothy

Carnival Elation
Carnival Elation March 11
Carnival Imagination Sept 07
Carniival Sensation Dec 06
RCI Sovereign of the Seas Sept 06
Carnival Miracle Sept 05
Carnival Glory Sept 04
Carnival Fantasy Jan 04
Old August 1st, 2006, 12:30 PM
Captain

I, too, love the western Caribbean ports. My husband and I love to practice our Spanish while we are in Mexico. We also love seeing the Mayan ruins. We think the Mexican ports are beautiful, especially Playa del Carmen, and the people are friendly and wonderful. We usually rent a car and roam around. The last time we were in Progresso, we rented a car and drove to Chitchen Izta. So far, those have been the most impressive ruins we have seen. On our next trip to Cozumel we hope to see the ruins in Tulum. We have heard that they are beautiful because they are on a cliff overlooking the ocean.

Whatever you decide, I know you'll have a wonderful time!!!!

Libragirl (Mary)
Old August 1st, 2006, 02:42 PM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via AIM to Ran43

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosetattoo
Just returned from the western itinerary on the Glory. The Glory is a great ship, it was clean and the staff were friendly and efficient. However, I have also sailed on the Valor and much prefer the decor on the Valor and the energy on the Valor was not represented on the Glory and, for some reason, although the menu choices were exactly the same, the food on the Valor was much better. The best thing about sailing on the Glory was the Cruise Director, Wee Jimmy. As far as itinerary is concerned, I would never book the western itinerary again, I hated it. Out of four stops, three were in Mexico and the fourth was in Nassau where I have been numerous times. Cozumel has lost its luster after the terrible hurricanes last year devastated it, the pier is still under construction and the lush foliage is no longer there, just dead trees. The residents are trying real hard to get things back to normal but they have a long way to go. We were able to dock at the reconstructed part of the pier but there was another ship anchored off-shore that tendered people in. Belize is the nastiest place I've ever been to, even worse than Roatan, very third world and deplorable living conditions, horrible roads, and pushy vendors. We took a shore excursion to Altun Ha over a poorly paved, single lane road which was the bumpiest road I've ever been on, we couldn't wait to get back to the ship. Seeing the Mayan ruins were not enough to calm my dread of the ride back to the port. And, I do not understand why people love Costa Maya, there is nothing there, a few shops at the end of the pier with irritating shop owners badgering you as you walk past their kiosks. We took a taxi to Majahual where there are more annoying vendors with strawmarket-type shops that you have to walk past to reach the beach area, we stayed 5 minutes then returned to the safety of the ship. I agree with UConn1, I much prefer the eastern Caribbean itinerary, St. Thomas and St. Maarten are gorgeous, great shopping, friendly people, beautiful beaches, clean, good restaurants, etc.
Belize is not part of mexico...its Belize
Old August 1st, 2006, 02:43 PM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via AIM to Ran43

forgot to say that im sailing on this date on the Glory