Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old July 26th, 2006, 01:34 AM
Captain

Default Car Rentals Near Miami Port?

Considering the Eastern Caribean cruise, but might be restricted by flights into Miami from Canada. Considering renting a car and driving from Orlando to the port in Miami. What car rental agencies are closest to the Miami cruise ship port for Carnival?

Thanx,
Krunch
Sponsored Links
Old July 26th, 2006, 03:19 AM
Familiar Face

Send a message via Yahoo to Tompo8190

Hi Krunch,

Is flying into Ft. Lauderdale an option for you? It's a lot closer than Orlando (approx. 45 minutes) and you can take a shuttle to the port if you are flying in the same day as your cruise. It would be about $40 per person. When you get off the ship there will bus transportation back to the airport and if I remember correctly it is a little cheaper about $20 pp.

Otherwise, I have rented from Enterprise in the past. They said they had a Port of Miami location. That's bit misleading because it isn't actually at the Port. However, it isn't too far and they will drive you to there when you check in to return your car. Hope that helped.
Old July 26th, 2006, 09:50 AM
Captain

No, due to the time of year, my only option of flying in from Canada is Orlando. From what I see, it's about 4 hours from Orlando to Miami, is that right? That's not a bad drive, just an aftenoon, plus I get to see the Florida landscape a little.

Is enterprise the closest location to the Miami port? I guess it doesn't matter if Enterprise would drop me off at the port and then take the car back. Will all car rental places do that? If not, I am looking for the ones that will, and are closest to the Miami port, and the best price.

Thanx,
Krunch
Old July 26th, 2006, 01:35 PM
Familiar Face

Send a message via Yahoo to Tompo8190

I really can't say if there are any other car rental companies that will drop you off at the port, but it is such a big business in Florida (crusing) it wouldn't surprise me if a lot of them offer that service. Good luck with your search. It is a nice drive from Orlando to Miaimi....we did that in reverse for our honeymoon. Cruised and then went to Disney World.
Old July 26th, 2006, 02:13 PM
Beginner

Default Re: Car Rentals Near Miami Port?

Quote:
Originally Posted by krunch
Considering the Eastern Caribean cruise, but might be restricted by flights into Miami from Canada. Considering renting a car and driving from Orlando to the port in Miami. What car rental agencies are closest to the Miami cruise ship port for Carnival?
If you are flying out of Toronto you shouldn't have any flight problems to/from Miami. Last time I checked there were more flights to/from Miami than Orlando, but that may depend on the time of year.

Regardless, most of the major car rental agencies have shuttles to/from the port area to a nearby rental location. Check their location list for Port of Miami or call them and ask.
Old July 26th, 2006, 10:46 PM
Cruise Maniac

Krunch,

If you rent from Alamo or Thrifty, they will let you drop the car off at the Miami airport. Both companies have a free shuttle from their airport locations to the Port of Miami.
Carnival Glory 9/2006
Holiday 11/2006
Fantasy 04/26/07
Carnival Freedom 11/24/07 - Open Bar Cruise!!!
Old July 26th, 2006, 11:23 PM
Captain

Send a message via AIM to David West Send a message via Yahoo to David West

Krunch,
Have you tried www.sidestep.com to research your air options. This may help, and may not. Just a thought.

Happy Sailing;
David
Legend May 2009
Liberty - Aug.23 2008
Fantasy - Sept.22 2007
Fantasy - Sept.27 2007 (B 2 B )
Holiday- Sept.- 2006
Valor- May - 2006
Conquest- August- 2003
Inspiration-Sept.-2001
Enchanted Isle- Sept.- 1999
Old July 27th, 2006, 08:03 PM
Captain

The problem with the flight is not where I am flying from, it's the airline I have chosen. I am using my air miles, and West Jet flies for much less air miles. But they only do seasonal flights to Miami, so I have to fly to orlando and rent a car, or use up a lot more air miles to fly a different airline to Miami.

I like the car rental idea anyway, give me an opportunity to see the Florida landscape too.

Krunch