Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old July 31st, 2006, 10:25 AM
Passenger

Default Coffee in morning!

I can not wake up properly without coffee, nor can I leave the cabin without having a cup of java in by body! I think I read that you can hang a room service delivery thing on your door the night before - is this reliable and do they come on time?
Maybe I should bring a small coffee pot with me - or better yet maybe there is a coffee pot in the cabin - like in some hotels?
I will be traveling on Carnival Victory, in case each ship is different.
Sponsored Links
Old July 31st, 2006, 10:37 AM
Admiral

Yep,,you got the answer to your problem. Just order room service the night before, and you can count on having the java in your room when you request it (along with some great breakfast rolls, etc). Please don't take a coffee pot with you, as they frown upon that. (just like the irons in the room,,,a fire hazard) Have a great cruise, and enjoy the coffee.
Ken
Old July 31st, 2006, 10:40 AM
Cruise Maniac

Another option, if you are not sure what time you will wake up, is to just call and order it as soon as you wake up. It is usually there within 5 or 10 minutes, I've never had to wait long. If I am going on an early excursion I will order breakfast and coffee and put the little card thing out the night before, but on a sea day I just order it as soon as I wake up. Make sure you bring some $1 bills to tip the person who brings it to you.
Old July 31st, 2006, 11:06 AM
First Mate

We called RS as soon as we got up and placed our entire breakfast order. It would arrive promptly and warm (ordered muffins, coffee, hot choc for kids and fresh fruit) within 15-20 minutes...EVERYTIME!

We were afraid to place the tag on the door in case we weren't awake when they came to the door. The kids were NEVER up before the tray came and usually Dh, Mom and Self had breakfast on the balcony.

As the PP said, remember to bring lots of $1!!!

2005 Carnival Spirit to Alaska

2007 Carnival Conquest to Western Caribbean

2008 Royal Caribbean Explorer of the Seas to New England/Canada

2010 Royal Caribbean Explorer of the Seas to Southern Caribbean
Old July 31st, 2006, 11:18 AM
Administrator
Admiral

Just an FYI: For a breakfast order on Carnival they will give you a call about five minutes before they bring the order. This will give you time to throw on a robe and be awake to answer the door.

Also: On newer NCL ships: Star, Dawn, Jewel, Pearl, etc. there are coffee makers in mini-suite and suites.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old July 31st, 2006, 11:43 AM
Passenger

Thanks EVERYBODY for the great info - I love this message board!

I assumed that a call in the morning to room service for coffee would take a typical 45 minutes (like in a large hotel) - thanks for letting me know that this is not the case and room service is relatively fast.

I REALLY appreciate the feedback!
Old July 31st, 2006, 12:00 PM
Captain

I've taken a thermos which you can fill the nite before in the lido cafe. I would at least suggest taking travel mugs on board. I'm normally up early and enjoy walkin out on the deck in the fresh mornin air to fill the mugs for my girlfriend.
Glory (eastern) 12/2006
Destiny 01/2009
Old July 31st, 2006, 01:31 PM
Captain

We were on the Conquest & always had our coffee, hot tea, etc. in 5 to 8 minutes.... Good ides to put your pants on before you order.... They will bring you a thermal Pot of coffee & the cups.... Danish rolls were great as well as the fruit.... Just enough to get energized to make it up to the buffet or the dining room for breakfast......

Conquest .... Nov /03 (New Orleans)
Conquest .... Dec /05 (Galveston)
Celebration.. Sept /06 (Jacksonville)
Fantasy....... Dec/07 (New Orleans)
Splendor...... Nov. 29th, 2009

Splendor...... Nov. 28th, 2010 (booked)
Old July 31st, 2006, 04:19 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

By ordering room service the evening before, also works as a great wake up call. They will call before they actually bring up your order, so you can wake up and throw a robe on and expect coffee very soon. I love doing that on days where I need to be up for an excursion, have fun!

Message Boards Moderator
Old July 31st, 2006, 06:32 PM
Admiral

I have sailed 15 times on different Carnival ships and have ordered room service on each sailing and have never been called prior to room service delivery, never. The only problem I had with putting the tag on my doorknob at night was that a guest in another stateroom was removing it from my doorknob. It took me a couple of days to catch them but I did (and it was an adult).
Old September 11th, 2006, 12:08 PM
Passenger

Send a message via AIM to daaling

Quote:
Originally Posted by dottiel
We called RS as soon as we got up and placed our entire breakfast order. It would arrive promptly and warm (ordered muffins, coffee, hot choc for kids and fresh fruit) within 15-20 minutes...EVERYTIME!

We were afraid to place the tag on the door in case we weren't awake when they came to the door. The kids were NEVER up before the tray came and usually Dh, Mom and Self had breakfast on the balcony.

As the PP said, remember to bring lots of $1!!!
As for $1/$5 bills..go to bank get new pak, uncirc.., then take to print shop, have them made into a "notepad...w/gummed edge..they r fab to peel off..keeps em striaght, flat..and r a great chat starter..fit nice in a packet..or pocket/purse...I traded some in Greece for a big discount on gold....does not deface $$$....judi
Old September 11th, 2006, 01:12 PM
Passenger

We sailed on the Spirit last May and ordered room service a couple of times...left the tag out the night before. Even though I specified a time to bring it, both times they were approx. 20 mins. early. One time my husband was out on the balcony, and I was in the bathroom...he didn't hear them knock, and all I could do was yell to leave the tray outside the door. I don't know if he heard me or not, but he left it. It would have been nice if they had called first. Next time we'll know what to expect. "Next time" by the way is May/07 on the Spirit to Alaska again. Loved it last time, and can't wait to go.

Old September 21st, 2006, 01:38 AM
Passenger

Default Coffee in the morning further question

Does the coffee really suck on cruises as I have read on some internet cruise posts? I heard the free coffee sucks and the pay by the cup coffee in the new coffee bars has the good stuff (apparently to sell more coffee?) is what I have read. I am counting down the days to my first cruise and as a Coffee Addict (it so helps my morning asthma!) I really need to know the expected quality and strength I can expect.

Thanks for any feedback!

Kathie ThePurplePrincess
Old September 21st, 2006, 07:01 AM
Passenger

I have never been called either, unless it was a coincidence with my wake up call.
Old September 21st, 2006, 09:29 AM
Cruise Maniac

I find room service very fast on Carnival ships. I don't put the order card on the door because I've read too many posts on 'kids running down the halls snatching the cards off'. I call the minute I wake up, and I've never waited over 10 minutes - usually around 5 - for my coffee and croissants.

I won't say the coffee is bad, just not as strong as I like it at home, but them I'm a cajun and make very strong coffee w/chicory. I can endure any coffee for a few days, so it isn't a big deal.

14 Carnival cruises
3 Princess cruises
2 HAL cruises
2 NCL cruises
3 RCL cruises
All fantastic voyages!
Old September 21st, 2006, 10:11 AM
Admiral

room service coffee is pretty decent. Buffet coffee is just awful. Of course the premium coffee you pay for in the cafes is going to be of better quality.
Old September 23rd, 2006, 10:46 PM
Passenger

Default Is there hot water for hot tea available?

I could always substitute hot tea if the coffee is worse than I can take. I am not a starbucks kind of coffee drinker, however I find some coffee intolerable. I could always bring some english breakfast tea bags and have hot tea, splenda and cream as a substitute if I can get piping hot water.

Thanks to all for your great feedback.

This make a world of difference for my first cruise.
Old September 24th, 2006, 02:23 AM
Familiar Face

I can't believe so many people used the room service. I loved eating breakfast in the buffet and watching the ship pull into port. I also liked eating breakfast on deck where I could talk to some of the waiters, and get to know a little bit about their life. They were always willing to talk about their life on board and take pictures.

Royal Caribbean Enchantment of The Seas -2004
Carnival - Fantasy 11-13-06
Carnival Conquest 10-05-08
Celebrity Equinox 4/01/2011

Read and post cruise reviews

We don't stop playing because we grow old;
We grow old because we stop playing.
NEVER BE THE FIRST TO GROW OLD !!!
LIFE IS A GIFT...UNWRAP IT
Old September 24th, 2006, 09:38 AM
Cruise Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruise-N-Arky
I can't believe so many people used the room service. I loved eating breakfast in the buffet and watching the ship pull into port. I also liked eating breakfast on deck where I could talk to some of the waiters, and get to know a little bit about their life. They were always willing to talk about their life on board and take pictures.
Many people, including myself, use room service for the first cup of coffee and perhaps a croissant or Danish, while getting ready for the day. Then, up to the dining room for a full breakfast for me!

14 Carnival cruises
3 Princess cruises
2 HAL cruises
2 NCL cruises
3 RCL cruises
All fantastic voyages!
Old September 24th, 2006, 05:29 PM
Captain

Send a message via Yahoo to wakedreams

I also need a strong cup of joe before leaving the cabin, and I just call room service. They usually deliver within 15 mins. I got a pot of coffee 2cups, a little pitcher of creamer and an assortment of sweeteners delivered. We relaxed on the balcony and enjoyed the morning. Just another wonderful cruising memory...
Carnival Triumph 11/2008
Carnival Celebration 10/2007
Carnival Victory 11/2006
Disney Wonder 1/2006
Carnival Legend 10/2005
Carnival Victory 3/2005
Carnival Triumph 8/2004
Carnival Sensation 6/2002
Old September 25th, 2006, 10:46 PM
Passenger

Just returned from the Conquest and we ordered room service on the days we went into port. We put the tag out at night and it was delivered at the time requested. Perfect. Coffee was good, of course nothing is as good as Community Coffee from Louisiana, so we don't set our expectations too high. WE LOVED OUR CRUISE.
Old September 26th, 2006, 11:40 AM
Passenger

Nothing better than waking up on the first day of your cruise to "knock knock knock...room service" and taking your pot of coffee out on the balcony. I'm from Canada and it sure is not Tim Hortons but who cares, the sea air gives you the 'jolt' to wake up.