Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old August 10th, 2006, 01:40 PM
Passenger

Jeans!!! I'm going on the Glory in just a couple of weeks and my suitcase will be packed with them. Now, I will have a pair of shorts or two and even a tux for formal nights, but 90% of the time it will be jeans. I know I will he warmer then some folks, but jeans are what I feel comfy in. Hey, I grew up in Nebraska and now live in Montana; I'm just not a slacks or shorts kind of guy. And since I too am the proud (and less rich) owner of a Harley, most of my jeans are black.
Old August 11th, 2006, 12:36 AM
Captain

Ronnie,

You might want to at least bring a couple pairs of shorts. It gets hot in the Caribbean. It is even hot in the Caribbean in December.

Have a great cruise, but I really hope you at least try a pair of shorts while you are on it.

Of course, I'm from Texas. It is always hot here.

Libragirl
Old August 11th, 2006, 11:51 AM
Passenger

Okay Libragirl. I'll try some shorts. I just hope I don't blind all my cruisemates with my white legs. This could really get ugly.....real fast!
Old August 11th, 2006, 12:09 PM
Admiral

buy some of that "tan on" where you just spray it on over a series of several days prior to the cruise
Old August 11th, 2006, 12:51 PM
Yeoman

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParrotRob
Quote:
Originally Posted by bguppies
Ironically, people NOT following proper dress codes, is NOT going to ruin anyone's vacation.
That's not the point, though. If I am seated at the table across from you and I am wearing a bathrobe, that's not going to "ruin your vacation" either, but it's also not RIGHT and it's also not APPROPRIATE.

I can't really tell, but you seem to be implying that anything short of "ruining your vacation" is acceptable - how about if come over and help myself to your bread? Maybe snatch a bit of your chateaubriand? Now before you say that's just rude, consider: you can always get more, so it's not like your vacation is ruined, and besides, it's MY vacation, so if I want to do that, hell, I paid for it just like you did, and it's REALLY no different than some good-natured french fry snatching at Burger King, right?

But, of course, I would never do that, because it IS different. Some people still care about etiquette, decency and common courtesy, and when that Caper specifically says the dress code for the dining room tonight is "formal" or "resort casual", wearing anything less than that is distasteful, impolite, rude, bad-mannered, boorish and even ignorant. But, you're right, it's not going to "ruin my vacation".

So go ahead, wear your jeans to dinner - but don't be surprised when people treat you with the same level of consideration, grace, courtesy and respect you've chosen to (not) show them.

ParrotRob........you are wasting your breath on some of these people.....after all, "It is their V-A-C-A-T-I-O-N"

I hope everyone has a wonderful cruise!
Old August 11th, 2006, 01:29 PM
Captain

Ronnie, Don't worry about your white legs. You won't be the only person on the ship with white legs. Most importantly is that you'll be COOL.

HAVE A GREAT CRUISE!!!

Libragirl
Old August 11th, 2006, 01:53 PM
Admiral

How in the world did I miss this lovely thread?

One of the nicest gentlemen I ever met on a cruise wore jeans with a jean jacket on formal nights and jeans with a sport shirt on the other nights. I enjoyed his company every night and would cruise with him any time. This was on an RCI ship.

I go into the dining room to look at my food rather than the other diners. Perhaps if some one sat across from me dressed in a speedo, I might notice. If it were a formal speedo, things would be fine.

I will never understand why the dress of others gets some of you so riled up. I do wear a suit on formal nights, but as I see more men wearing sports shirts and dress slacks on such nights, I also will switch over to comfortable clothing. Coats and ties were created to torture men! An added advantage would be more room in my luggage for the things my wife purchases.

There are cruise lines such as Celebrity where dress is more formal, and some of you might feel more at ease in their dining rooms. However, Carnival, RCI and Princess seem to to attract cruisers who prefer a more relaxed lifestyle. I go on a cruise to have fun, not to concern myself with what the other passengers are wearing. I would prefer a clean person in jeans anytime to someone dressed to the nines (or maybe tens) who reeks of strong perfume or cologne.

For goodness sake, let and let live and you will live longer!!!!
Old August 12th, 2006, 02:53 PM
Passenger

Venice, do they sell 'Tan On' in 55 gallon barrels????????
Old August 12th, 2006, 03:19 PM
Admiral

I would not know because I have no need for it (VBG)..however, since everything is bigger in Texas, you might ask Luanne if they do (VBG)
Old August 12th, 2006, 06:30 PM
First Mate

Have noticed that all of your cruises are on Carnival.This subject does not get the same response on Celebrity and Holland which by the way have the same rules and they are written rules on all lines.Has nothing to do with how much you have paid for your cruise.
Old August 12th, 2006, 08:55 PM
Cruise Maniac

big apple, when you say it doesn't get the same response, do you mean people are more tolerant of the jeans-wearers on HAL and Celebrity, or do you mean people are more mindful of the dress codes so it's not as big an issue?
Old August 12th, 2006, 09:25 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by big apple
Have noticed that all of your cruises are on Carnival.This subject does not get the same response on Celebrity and Holland which by the way have the same rules and they are written rules on all lines.Has nothing to do with how much you have paid for your cruise.
Maybe the rules are changing?

http://cruisemates.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=560593

SS Norway (12 times) '85 - '97; Radiance OS 06/01; Island Princess 11/04, Grand Princess 11/04/05, Golden Princess 7/21/06, Golden Princess 2/24/07, Explorer of the Seas 12/23/07, Island Princess 11/15/08
Old August 12th, 2006, 09:33 PM
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to Luanne Russo

I think that maybe things are changing. We saw more jeans this time, than ever before. Some of the black jeans are made so well, that it is sometimes hard to tell.

I thought that was funny asking Venice if he uses spray on tan.
Now that we know where you got the color, we need to find out where your love for soul comes from.

Luanne
Conquest 2006
Conquest 2007
Ecstasy 2008
Valor B2B 2008

Conquest Virtual Cruise Topic Link
Old August 13th, 2006, 01:14 AM
First Mate

If the cruise lines and their customers wanted total casual do you not think they would make this change?There have been surveys over the last several monthsn with the results favoring the two formal nites.If you want a casual atmosphere why not look at an all inclusive resort where noone cares about any dress code.Jeans may be in some places but not on cruise ships and this is why the written rules.Maybe someone can explain why this is an issue more on Carnival than the other lines however I think Iknow the answer.
Old August 13th, 2006, 05:07 AM
Admiral

Luanne..my love of "soul" can be traced back to my youth when I was a dance instructor in the Catskills and was a body double for Patrick Swayze in the movie 'Dirty Dancing" and sang with the Righteous Brothers on their hit song "Soul and Inspiration" (VBG)

Since I know you are very astute, you have surmised that my even greater love of smooth jazz can be directly linked to the fact that smooth jazz is great soul music without words

You know my motto "Cruising is good for the Soul"
Old August 13th, 2006, 09:33 AM
First Mate

Send a message via AIM to MrPete
Default Re: My DH doesn't wear anything but jeans~EVER!

Quote:
Originally Posted by txwildflower2002
Nope, not to prom, 50th anniverseries, weddings, Never!
My condolences.
Past Cruises: Explorer of the Seas 2008 Explorer of the Seas 2007 Carnival Victory 2007 Explorer of the Seas 2006 Legend 2005 Miracle 2004 Disney Wonder 2004; Pride 2003 Legend 2002 Disney Wonder 2002 Destiny 2001 Victory 2000 Triumph 1999 Jubilee 1998 Imagination 1997 Imagination 1996 Fascination 1995 Ecstasy 1993 Fantasy 1990 Jubilee 1990 NCL Seaward 1989 Jubilee 1988
Old August 13th, 2006, 02:45 PM
Admiral

And my congratulations.!!!!!!