Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old August 6th, 2006, 07:40 PM
Familiar Face

Default My DH doesn't wear anything but jeans~EVER!

Nope, not to prom, 50th anniverseries, weddings, Never! On our other cruises, he always wears a new pair with a sports jacket, but on Conquest it says-NO JEANS IN THE DINING ROOM-NO SHORTS AFTER DARK. What am I to do?
Going on #9! Serenade of the Seas 12-08!
Sponsored Links
Old August 6th, 2006, 07:53 PM
First Mate

I would buy some Dockers for him and hide them in your suitcase. If he gets turned away, whip out the Dockers and save the evening. No need to stress out and start an argument before its necessary.

Have a wonderful cruise!

Carnival - Spirit: Alaska (August 8, 2007)
Carnival - Miracle: Exotic Western Caribbean (April 9, 2006)
Royal Caribbean - Explorer of the Seas: Eastern Caribbean (January 2005)
Old August 6th, 2006, 07:55 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Re: My DH doesn't wear anything but jeans~EVER!

Quote:
Originally Posted by txwildflower2002
Nope, not to prom, 50th anniverseries, weddings, Never! On our other cruises, he always wears a new pair with a sports jacket, but on Conquest it says-NO JEANS IN THE DINING ROOM-NO SHORTS AFTER DARK. What am I to do?
There's always pizza.
Old August 6th, 2006, 08:11 PM
Admiral

Just curious, what was the other cruise ship you were on and how did they treat his new jeans in the dining room number ? If they didn't hassle him on the other cruise line (which unless it was Windjammer) which probably had the same suggested dress code for after 6 pm...you are going to have a hard time convincing him that he has to wear something else besides jean on the Conquest

Are you prepared not to eat in the dining room for dinner the entire cruise

Are you going with another couple that perhaps the other man can chat with him before hand ?

The dockers suggestion is a good one, buy some dark blue ones

You know us men, we can be set in our ways sometimes (VBG)
Old August 6th, 2006, 08:45 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to cherylroy

My kind of man! Hell -- your on VACATION and if you want to wear jeans.........wear jeans!!!!!!!!! I am sure I'm sturring the pot AGAIN! I have been on the conquest and have not heard ' no shorts after 6 pm'. If that is the case, many of us broke the cardinal rule! As far as jeans - if you want to go in the dining room wear black jeans and a shirt. Bet you no one will tell you anything! And what are they going to do? Throw you off the ship? We have gone 7 days without eating in the dining room (not because of dress code) but because of choice and circumstances -- either we were not ready to eat at that time, didn't feel like being waited on, liked what was on the lido deck, etc etc etc. Go and be comfortable! Your on VACTION!
Old August 6th, 2006, 10:29 PM
Cruise Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherylroy
My kind of man! Hell -- your on VACATION and if you want to wear jeans.........wear jeans!!!!!!!!!
By golly, you're right! For that matter, why stop there? Wear your bathrobe to dinner, or if it makes you comfortable, WEAR NOTHING AT ALL!!! After all, you're on vacation, dress codes be damned!

Quote:
I am sure I'm sturring the pot AGAIN! I have been on the conquest and have not heard ' no shorts after 6 pm'. If that is the case, many of us broke the cardinal rule! As far as jeans - if you want to go in the dining room wear black jeans and a shirt. Bet you no one will tell you anything!
Just because no one SAYS anything doesn't make it right. Maybe no one else wants to stur the pot either.

Quote:
And what are they going to do? Throw you off the ship?
Of course not, but with any kind of luck, they WILL throw you out of the dining room.

Quote:
We have gone 7 days without eating in the dining room (not because of dress code) but because of choice and circumstances -- either we were not ready to eat at that time, didn't feel like being waited on, liked what was on the lido deck, etc etc etc. Go and be comfortable! Your on VACTION!
Can't wait for my next cruise, I'm comfortable in boxers and slippers - look out dining room, HERE I COME!!!
Old August 6th, 2006, 10:38 PM
Captain

Send a message via MSN to hockeyluver

Right from the carnival site "What should I pack?

The first thing to remember is that you're on vacation and you are aboard one of our "Fun Ships" to have a good time. The second thing to remember is to travel light. If you keep those two things in mind, you should do just fine.

Casual attire and resort wear is the order of the day both on board and in port. Shorts, slacks, sundresses, blouses, etc., are in line for women. Clothing for men is just as casual. You should bring a pair of rubber-soled sandals or sneakers to wear on deck and a pair of good walking shoes. You might also want to consider bringing along a sweater or jacket for cool evenings and inexpensive rain gear in case of a sudden shower. Women may want to bring along a hat or scarf. You'll have a chance to dress up on two nights during 7 day or longer cruises (one night on shorter cruises) for the Captain's Cocktail Party and the Gala Farewell Dinner. On the other evenings you can dress casually for dinner (no shorts or tank tops).

For those not wanting to dress up, the Lido Restaurants are open nightly and have a casual dress code. Formal Wear: tuxedo; suit and tie; sport coat, tie and slacks; evening gown; cocktail dress; pantsuit Casual Resort Wear: sport shirts and slacks; dresses; skirts; pantsuit; Capri pants NOTE: Shorts, t-shirts, tank tops and bathing attire are not permitted in the Dining Room during dinner.
"
I does not say NO JEANS anywhere!!

Next up Elation Aug 23 '10
then the Miracle again Feb 7,2011
Miracle '10
Holiday '09
Legend '09
Triumph '08
Valor '07
Triumph '06
Fascination '04
Legend '03
Old August 6th, 2006, 10:42 PM
Cruise Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyluver
Right from the carnival site "What should I pack?

The first thing to remember is that you're on vacation and you are aboard one of our "Fun Ships" to have a good time. The second thing to remember is to travel light. If you keep those two things in mind, you should do just fine.

Casual attire and resort wear is the order of the day both on board and in port. Shorts, slacks, sundresses, blouses, etc., are in line for women. Clothing for men is just as casual. You should bring a pair of rubber-soled sandals or sneakers to wear on deck and a pair of good walking shoes. You might also want to consider bringing along a sweater or jacket for cool evenings and inexpensive rain gear in case of a sudden shower. Women may want to bring along a hat or scarf. You'll have a chance to dress up on two nights during 7 day or longer cruises (one night on shorter cruises) for the Captain's Cocktail Party and the Gala Farewell Dinner. On the other evenings you can dress casually for dinner (no shorts or tank tops).

For those not wanting to dress up, the Lido Restaurants are open nightly and have a casual dress code. Formal Wear: tuxedo; suit and tie; sport coat, tie and slacks; evening gown; cocktail dress; pantsuit Casual Resort Wear: sport shirts and slacks; dresses; skirts; pantsuit; Capri pants NOTE: Shorts, t-shirts, tank tops and bathing attire are not permitted in the Dining Room during dinner.
"
No, but it DOES say "for those not wanting to dress up, the LIDO RESTAURANTS are open nightly" - not the dining rooms. It also clearly identifies WHAT is considered formal and WHAT is considered casual resort wear, and you won't find jeans in EITHER of those lists.
Old August 6th, 2006, 11:00 PM
Captain

Send a message via MSN to hockeyluver

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParrotRob
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyluver
Captain's Cocktail Party and the Gala Farewell Dinner. On the other evenings you can dress casually for dinner (no shorts or tank tops).

For those not wanting to dress up, the Lido Restaurants are open nightly and have a casual dress code. Formal Wear: tuxedo; suit and tie; sport coat, tie and slacks; evening gown; cocktail dress; pantsuit Casual Resort Wear: sport shirts and slacks; dresses; skirts; pantsuit; Capri pantsNOTE: Shorts, t-shirts, tank tops and bathing attire are not permitted in the Dining Room during dinner.
"
No, but it DOES say "for those not wanting to dress up, the LIDO RESTAURANTS are open nightly" - not the dining rooms. It also clearly identifies WHAT is considered formal and WHAT is considered casual resort wear, and you won't find jeans in EITHER of those lists.

It still does not mention jeans This topic has been done to death!! I agree if i am going to pay $3000 to go on a cruise and wear what i feel comfortable in the i will.

Next up Elation Aug 23 '10
then the Miracle again Feb 7,2011
Miracle '10
Holiday '09
Legend '09
Triumph '08
Valor '07
Triumph '06
Fascination '04
Legend '03
Old August 7th, 2006, 10:47 AM
Admiral

parrot - maybe you should try a different cruise line - more elaborate like RC or something. I agree with hockeylover -- and I knew I would stir the pot...lol. But, people like you arn't worth arguing with - as I have gone that road before. For me? Yes, I have spent 3000 on a cruise before - not hard to do at all as a matter of fact. Not pp now, but the whole family. And.....if I spend 500 or 4000, I am going to wear what is comfortable for me. I will dress up on dress up night if I want to, wear jeans on other nights if I want to - or wear my bathrobe if I want to. And, if people like you don't like it - then don't look! As far as the original question from txwildflower -- wear the new pair with sportscoat and go enjoy - HE is on VACATION! I bet no one will even notice!
Old August 7th, 2006, 11:14 AM
Admiral

The web site spells it out clearly what Carnival considers to be Formal Wear, Jeans are not Formal Wear, period, no ifs ands or buts about it.
Jeans are casual wear.
Old August 7th, 2006, 11:21 AM
First Mate

My thinking is that any man who refuses to dress up for church, weddings, anniversarys, etc, has a serious psychological problem and should see a shrink.

And if he still wants to cruise, send him to WindJammer or Easy Cruise...

Dana
Old August 7th, 2006, 12:15 PM
Captain

I agree with Lisa, danacline, and criscomia. I believe people should follow the rules. (Of course, I am a retired teacher!!) If my husband didn't want to dress properly for formal night, I would go without him and tell him to have a great time eating on the Lido deck.

Libragirl
Old August 7th, 2006, 12:27 PM
Yeoman

Libragirl............TOTALLY AGREE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I hope everyone has a wonderful cruise!
Old August 7th, 2006, 12:41 PM
Captain

GIRLS UNITE!!!! :o
Old August 7th, 2006, 12:43 PM
Cruise Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Libragirl
GIRLS UNITE!!!! :o
Hey now, I'm a guy and I know how to dress AND follow the rules!
Old August 7th, 2006, 12:52 PM
Captain

Okay. GIRLS AND PARROTROB UNITE!!! :o
Old August 7th, 2006, 12:52 PM
Passenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherylroy
parrot - maybe you should try a different cruise line - more elaborate like RC or something. I agree with hockeylover -- and I knew I would stir the pot...lol. But, people like you arn't worth arguing with - as I have gone that road before. For me? Yes, I have spent 3000 on a cruise before - not hard to do at all as a matter of fact. Not pp now, but the whole family. And.....if I spend 500 or 4000, I am going to wear what is comfortable for me. I will dress up on dress up night if I want to, wear jeans on other nights if I want to - or wear my bathrobe if I want to. And, if people like you don't like it - then don't look! As far as the original question from txwildflower -- wear the new pair with sportscoat and go enjoy - HE is on VACATION! I bet no one will even notice!
I took a RCCL cruise this year and really enjoyed it. I hadn't heard that Carnival was much different and I booked a Carnival Liberty cruise for my family for next April. If Carnival standards are lower, I wonder if I should cancel my Carnival reservations and play it safe with RCCL. RCCL costs a bit more. But it was pretty low key and everyone seemed to play by the rules with no problems.
Old August 7th, 2006, 12:53 PM
Yeoman

Libragirl.......you're a hoot!!!!!!!!! And ParrotRob.....you can join us in the "Girls Unite" group!!!!!!

Old August 7th, 2006, 01:00 PM
Cruise Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by criscomia
Libragirl.......you're a hoot!!!!!!!!! And ParrotRob.....you can join us in the "Girls Unite" group!!!!!!
thanks. I'll be the one dressed appropriately.

After all, Mrs. Parrot would put her foot squarely up you-know-where if I even thought of wearing jeans to dinner! :o
Old August 7th, 2006, 01:02 PM
Admiral

hey I'm a guy and I dress up in a tux and even compliment my GR's outfit
so don't leave me out either (VBG)

I don't judge people by what they wear or don't wear..remember you cannot tell what's inside a book by just looking at it's cover
Old August 7th, 2006, 01:09 PM
Yeoman

Parrot Rob.......You undoubedly have a very classy lady on your arm.

Venice........not judging any book by the cover.....just saying Carnival and most cruise lines have certain rules and dress codes they want you to follow. There is nothing wrong with that. We have to live by rules all our lives....and again, there's nothing wrong with that. Before you take a cruise, you know what those rules are. If you can't or won't abide by them, find a cruise where you can do whatever you want.

Old August 7th, 2006, 01:22 PM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via Yahoo to punk

I did wear jeans twice on casual nights, with a nice blouse and shoes and saw many other people dressed the same (nice jeans, not holey or bleached out) - there was a young twenty something guy at our table who was asked to change because he was wearing Docker shorts.

The unfortunate thing is - some people can pull off wearing jeans and some can't - my mom and I can wear the same outfit and I am ready for a night on the town while she looks like she's been gardening...

Still - I think one night of dress up never hurt anyone and who doesn't look good and feel good when they're dressed up???
October 2006 Carnival Miracle
October 2009 Carnival Legend
[/
Old August 7th, 2006, 01:28 PM
Admiral

Criscomia...I look at it this way...Alot of the fun in going on a cruise is that we can get dressed up every night of the week if we want !!! Outside of Mardi Gras Ball season it's the only time I get any use out of my sexy tux that I love to wear..I believe if you are going to put out the money to go on a cruise, and you clearly understand that formal night and theme nights are part of that experience, you should go along with it, because heck, it's only 1 or 2 nights out of the year and it's the least I can do for my GF

I have notice when it comes to this topic on these boards, it appears the men are taking a beating about not dressing up...What happens if the male wants to dress up and the female doesn't?..In my 25 cruises, I have never not seen a female dress up for formal night (the catfight is when there are 6-8 women wearing the same dress or outfit..it doesn't bother us men that we all look like penguins or in the dark suits like we just came from a taping of 'Six Feet Under")

I'm just saying there are bigger issues in life to get upset about then what people wear or don't wear on formal night (and I think some people just do it to draw attention to theirselves and don't consider that it may embarass the spouse who really looks nice in their outfit),so rather then give them that benefit, I would just ignore them

Now if you really want to see some upset people.. A few years back I was on the Mariner of the Seas when it was a half charter by a motorcycle group...on formal night they wore their bikers leather (which was fine with the ship because they all ate at one setting and in fact the waiters wore leather vest to be in the spirit of the evening)..you should have seen the expressions on the faces of the dressed up crowd..it was a hoot !!!! Plus some of the female bikers looked awesome in their leather outfits with whips and chains
Old August 7th, 2006, 01:39 PM
Yeoman

Quote:
Originally Posted by venice
Criscomia...I look at it this way...Alot of the fun in going on a cruise is that we can get dressed up every night of the week if we want !!! Outside of Mardi Gras Ball season it's the only time I get any use out of my sexy tux that I love to wear..I believe if you are going to put out the money to go on a cruise, and you clearly understand that formal night and theme nights are part of that experience, you should go along with it, because heck, it's only 1 or 2 nights out of the year and it's the least I can do for my GF

I have notice when it comes to this topic on these boards, it appears the men are taking a beating about not dressing up...What happens if the male wants to dress up and the female doesn't?..In my 25 cruises, I have never not seen a female dress up for formal night (the catfight is when there are 6-8 women wearing the same dress or outfit..it doesn't bother us men that we all look like penguins or in the dark suits like we just came from a taping of 'Six Feet Under")

I'm just saying there are bigger issues in life to get upset about then what people wear or don't wear on formal night (and I think some people just do it to draw attention to theirselves and don't consider that it may embarass the spouse who really looks nice in their outfit),so rather then give them that benefit, I would just ignore them

Now if you really want to see some upset people.. A few years back I was on the Mariner of the Seas when it was a half charter by a motorcycle group...on formal night they wore their bikers leather (which was fine with the ship because they all ate at one setting and in fact the waiters wore leather vest to be in the spirit of the evening)..you should have seen the expressions on the faces of the dressed up crowd..it was a hoot !!!! Plus some of the female bikers looked awesome in their leather outfits with whips and chains
I too am a biker......would have loved to have seen the group and the expressions on the other peoples faces. There are some people that still think that bikers are like they depict in some of the old movies...(Hells Angels and the like). I was actually one of those people who thought that about 10 years ago before I started riding my own bike. Most of those people are Doctors, Lawyers, professionals, etc.
But one thing I'm sure of, is they got it oked by the Captain or some higher up to be able to do that for the one night.....otherwise the waiters would not have been in dress also. It's just called manners and respect. All comes back to that.

Old August 7th, 2006, 01:54 PM
Admiral

Royal Caribbean and HOGS have formed a really neat partnership and it's now a twice a year event. My older brother is going in November and he is excited and I understand one of the senior officers with Royal Caribbean owns a Harley..Now that the cruise line and guest have seen this event for a couple of years, I understand the guest that are not in the group get into it as much as the group..the HOGS also do alot of fund raising onboard to help riders with dialysis and alot of non HOGS cruisers contribute to that worthy cause during the week and everyone enjoys the fashion show on formal night and makes for some great photo ops of leather and tuxes and formal gowns

Criscomia..you are so right about the changing image of bikers, everybody rides today from all walks of life ...my brother belongs to a club that rides that no one drinks...it's quite a picture to see 100 bikers at a rest stop drinking coffee and coke

Many years ago I went to Sturgiss..WOW !!!!!!!!
Old August 7th, 2006, 02:07 PM
Yeoman

Venice..........I'm the Secretary for our HOG Chapter down here in Miami. I started riding in 98. I ride on the drill team and so does my DH. We do slow technical manuevers on the motorcycles in a group. Our team has about 14 or 15 who perform. We have performed at different rallies, charities, Chili-Cook-Offs, etc. I love it.

Our group does not drink either while on the road. Now, when we stop for the evening at a hotel, we might have a drink, but while riding, we are cold sober.........too much could happen.

What Chapter is your older brother with? That would be funny if I know him or he has seen us perform. It's a sight to definately see.

We too have been to Sturgis........Love it!!!!!!!!

Old August 7th, 2006, 04:02 PM
Admiral

txwildflower ---- ROFLMAO ---- I knew this topic would stir the pot! Been there, done that and love everyones comments --- but the real question is....did your question get answered???????????? . I hope everyone has a wonderful cruise -- wherever you go, whatever cruise line, whatever you do, whatever you wear. Remember..........you are on VACATION. I know from experience as being a manger, you will not please everyone -- so don't even try to -- life is much to short for trivial arguements and the cruise is going to be what YOU make of it whatever line you are on. Enjoy all..................
Old August 7th, 2006, 04:06 PM
First Mate

Send a message via Yahoo to Chyna

A really nice pair of black denims I mean not faded out can hardly be told from a dark pair of slacks..I say go with very dark black denim jeans
Old August 7th, 2006, 08:37 PM
Admiral

uh oh...might be stirring it again -- but i totally agree. :-)