Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old August 7th, 2006, 09:44 AM
Passenger

Default Coolers

Good morning everyone, I've been wondering how big an ice chest could or should you bring on the ship, the only reason I would need it was for ice tea.

Thank you.

48 Sundays, or 335 days till cruise time.
Sponsored Links
Old August 7th, 2006, 09:49 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

Personally, I wouldn't bother with an ice chest just for ice tea. Your cabin should have a mini fridge and your cabin attandant will bring you ice daily. The iced tea onboard is fine, along with any fruit drinks and lemonade.

Message Boards Moderator
Old August 7th, 2006, 09:55 AM
First Mate

I wouldn't bring a cooler for tea either. I personally liked the tea on board and I'm a serious tea drinker. Besides it's free!

Now sodas I can understand bringing on board so you don't have to purchase them from Carnival. We are considering this option now that we know it's possible!

We are also going to bring at least 4 bottles of water with us on board so we will have them for our excursions.

We do plan (like our last cruise) to have the fridge at our disposal. Was really handy with the kids! We kept drinks in there for them *juice boxes* and such so we wouldn't be running back to the drink stations so much.

At least this time we'll be driving to Galveston so no air fare is involved with this cruise, sure makes the packing situation easier!

2005 Carnival Spirit to Alaska

2007 Carnival Conquest to Western Caribbean

2008 Royal Caribbean Explorer of the Seas to New England/Canada

2010 Royal Caribbean Explorer of the Seas to Southern Caribbean
Old August 7th, 2006, 10:08 AM
Admiral

Here's an idea I read that DTW on the RCCL board does and plan to do on my next cruise. He said he uses a soft sided cooler as his carry on bag so you can get your stuff on board and then use the cooloer for your tea! although mine won't be used for tea
Old August 8th, 2006, 02:24 AM
First Mate

I got a softsided, collapseable, rolling cooler at the local Sam's Club, that holds 56 cans of soda, for $19.99.
I am planning on using it as my carry on, then asking the stweard to keep it filled all week when we drop our bags in the room.

Bill
Old August 8th, 2006, 08:45 AM
Admiral

bguppies - you might have a bit of a problem trying to bring aboard a cooler that large, will it fit thru the security scanners? if not you will have to check it at the pier.
Old August 8th, 2006, 08:47 AM
Cruise Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by LisaK
bguppies - you might have a bit of a problem trying to bring aboard a cooler that large, will it fit thru the security scanners? if not you will have to check it at the pier.
In all seriousness, why in the world would you want to, anyway? WHat in the world are you going to store in an ice chest that big, anyway?
Old August 8th, 2006, 09:32 AM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via Yahoo to punk

I plan to take sodas on board (gotta have my mt dew) - my question is the mini frig is stocked right? so is there room to add my own stuff?
October 2006 Carnival Miracle
October 2009 Carnival Legend
[/
Old August 8th, 2006, 09:38 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by punk
I plan to take sodas on board (gotta have my mt dew) - my question is the mini frig is stocked right? so is there room to add my own stuff?
I had a minifridge in my suite. Don't rely on the fridge it took a day and a half to get the beverages cold. I guess it would have been better to start with cold beverages rather than warm. better to use a large cooler filled with ice than the fridge.
Old August 8th, 2006, 09:45 AM
Cruise Maniac

ok - so is the frig stocked or no? if so, is it full or would i have room to add my own? i read somewhere they have sodas and juice and snacks in them (for an outrageous price)
I only drink one mt dew a day (its my coffee!!!) so it's not like my mini frig would have to keep up with my guzzling...
ALSO - everyone has been telling us ways to sneak liquor on board - are the drinks really that expensive? I wasn't going to bother with 'smuggling' but now i may reconsider...
[/
Old August 8th, 2006, 09:49 AM
Admiral

When you get to your cabin, ask your cabin steward to empty out the mini fridge since you want to use it for your stuff. They do this all the time.

Drinks cost the same as if you were going to a nice bar. Its not known for drink specials 2 for 1 or anything like that. Your going to pay full bar prices for anything you get. $8 wine $5 beers etc... You get what I mean. If you don't drink much then this is just fine. If you live it up around the Lido deck, your going to walk off the ship with a hefty bar tab.

Life is too short to let the ship of your dreams sail without you.

Carnival Destiny Feb. 2006
Carnival Fascination Feb. 2007
Royal Caribbean Grandeur of the Seas Feb. 2008 The DTW & MsBJ tour
Carnival Valor MsBJ and Dina Feb. 2009
Carnival Glory MsBJ and Dina Feb. 2010
Carnival Dream MsBJ and Dina Feb. 2011
Old August 8th, 2006, 10:07 AM
Admiral

Quote:
ok - so is the frig stocked or no? if so, is it full or would i have room to add my own? i read somewhere they have sodas and juice and snacks in them (for an outrageous price)
I only drink one mt dew a day (its my coffee!!!) so it's not like my mini frig would have to keep up with my guzzling...
ALSO - everyone has been telling us ways to sneak liquor on board - are the drinks really that expensive? I wasn't going to bother with 'smuggling' but now i may reconsider...
Here is my view. Yes the fridge is stocked. Just take out the stuff( unless you like paying $1.75 for a coke) and put yours in and wait a day and a half for it to just get cool( you'll remember this post when you get on the boat). Regarding liquor. place it in your checked luggage. It's funny how they discourage bringing liquor but there is mysteriosly a bar setup in your suite! When I unloaded my bags I through the porter a 10 for 5 bags and said "make sure this gets on the boat" he smiled and said " it will be waiting for me" didn't see ANYONE getting checked. A guy I work with recently got married on a ship on RCCL they filled 2 big suitcases with booze and had no problem. Now, prices were the same as if you went to a nice bar or restaurant. I thought the wine was way overpriced for the size glass you got. Also, if you do like your cocktails by the pool do you really want to get up from your chaise walk down three flights to your room just to fill a drink that takes 5 minutes to drink? Most drinking I with what I brought I did on our balcony other than that I bought drinks. Basically a convenience thing and also a little guilt I guess. So I'll tell you we brought a liter of rum, tequila 2 big bottles of wine, and an 18 pack of beer and came back home with more than half of it. my bill at the end of the cruise. $856 of which about $350 was alcohol. hope this helped!
Old August 8th, 2006, 10:09 AM
Cruise Maniac

I'm not a lush but my DH does drink alot of beer. He's just going to have to pay for it!! I may take a little wild turkey on board though...

Hadn't thought about asking them to empty the frig! Thanks!!
[/
Old August 8th, 2006, 10:13 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by rescuedad
So I'll tell you we brought a liter of rum, tequila 2 big bottles of wine, and an 18 pack of beer and came back home with more than half of it. my bill at the end of the cruise. $856 of which about $350 was alcohol. hope this helped!
Sounds like you and I have the same drinking habits! That is about what we took on our last cruise (and brought half home). I really enjoyed being able to have a drink on the balcony or while getting ready for dinner. It is a convenience thing.
Mariner of the Seas

HAL Statendam Alaska Cruise Tour - 09/09/12; Disney Magic - 12/01/12; Allure of the Seas - 05/26/13
Old August 8th, 2006, 10:22 AM
Admiral

Quote:
I'm not a lush but my DH does drink alot of beer. He's just going to have to pay for it!! I may take a little wild turkey on board though...

Hadn't thought about asking them to empty the frig! Thanks!!
there is like 8 cans in the fridge just take them out yourself. The next poster is right it's a convenience thing Ads much as I don't want to walk all the way back to my room for a drink is as much as I don't want to walk all the way to the bar from my room for a drink.
Old August 8th, 2006, 10:58 AM
Cruise Maniac

You make a good point... so I'll take a little turkey for having a drink in my room - otherwise I'll buy my drinks from the closest bartender!!!!!!!
[/
Old August 8th, 2006, 11:50 AM
First Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParrotRob
Quote:
Originally Posted by LisaK
In all seriousness, why in the world would you want to, anyway? WHat in the world are you going to store in an ice chest that big, anyway?
Actually, that is the smallest collapseable cooler I have seen around.
Folds flat as will be easy to take or leave with inside a suitcase.

It's 24" high, 14" deep and 18" wide......
I'd imagine, technically, the only way you could fit all 56 cans in it, would be with no ice, but as I plan on taking 12 sodas and 3 or 4 bottles of water, I'm sure we'll be fine.....

Bill