Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old August 7th, 2006, 01:59 PM
Captain

Default Belize or Jamaica

We are trying to decide on our next cruise.....and the only port that is a MUST for us is Cozumel.....we love it there. Especially Chankanaab. But without doing the Conquest again we would have to choose something that includes Belize......
What I need to know is....how is Belize.....what can we compare it too? Is the shopping and beaches good......We thought Montego Bay was very pretty, but not many cruises go there anymore.
All help is appreciated.
Thanks
Sponsored Links
Old August 7th, 2006, 02:03 PM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via Yahoo to punk

Are either of you divers? Belize has the worlds 2nd largest barrier reef!!! How about snorkeling?
I'm going in October - first time in Belize - we'll be diving the reef for sure! I hear the cave tubing is a great experience!!
October 2006 Carnival Miracle
October 2009 Carnival Legend
[/
Old August 7th, 2006, 02:46 PM
Passenger

I was on the Glory in June with my two adult daughters. We went to Belize. I had been once before. If all you want to do is shop, there is an area right as you get off the tender. And, that's all that's there. My first time to Belize, that's all we did, and I was disappointed. However, in June, one daughter did the zip line trip and had a fabulous, fun time. My other daughter and I did the Goff's Caye Snorkeling trip. It was wonderful. I've never seen so many different kinds of fish, and the water was so clear and warm. I think the trick to Belize is to choose an excursion. It's a beautiful country. I've decided I want to run away to Belize!

MaryLou
Old August 7th, 2006, 04:35 PM
Admiral

Snorkeling, diving, swimming, that's your best bet in Belize. The water excursion boats pick you up at the ship. If you go on a shore excursion, you must be tendered (1/2 hour to shore via tender boat). The stores on the end of the pier are tacky souvenir shops with aggressive vendors. We did the tour to Altun Ha and hated it...the ruins were nice to see but the 1-1/2 hour bus ride on the bumpiest road I've ever been on was horrible. The living conditions of the residents were very depressing to see. I couldn't wait to get back to the safety of the ship.
Old August 7th, 2006, 04:51 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

First trip to Belize, we also just shopped by the pier, next one we did the snorkeling at Goff's Caye and it was great. Also, by booking it through Carnival, they pick you up right at the ship, so no long tender ride.

I think, as long as you do some kind of excursion in Belize you'll enjoy the stop.

Message Boards Moderator
Old August 7th, 2006, 04:51 PM
Captain

Well we mostly site-see and do a little snorkling. And ALOT of shopping.... We really liked Montego Bay because of Margaritaville and the Dr. Caves Beach.....no locals because you pay to get in. Some people on the street were rather pushy, but not too bad. I really don't want to see anything MORE depressing than Jamaica.........
Old August 8th, 2006, 04:55 PM
Passenger

Default Belize

My DH and I love Belize. We've been 3 times now and each time we have gone on our own to Caye Caulker. We took a water taxi to this tiny little island and did snorkelling. Great memories of swing in a hammock on the beach with the world miles away!!!!!
Old August 14th, 2006, 11:11 PM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via AIM to chosen175

i'd highly recommend belize as well! it was an amazingly beautiful country with the cleanest air i've ever had the pleasure of breathing! (being from chicago, i don't have much to compare it to, though!)

i'd highly recommend taking a tour while you're there. we did carnival's land rover cave exploration excursion and although it was the most physical of all the excursions we did on the cruise, i don't regret it! i can see amazing things in chicago, but we don't have caves to crawl into, rain forests to hike through, jungles to go off-roading in, wild boars to sneak up on, or jungle rivers to blaze through on a high-powered speed boat. (ok, they gave us free drinks on the boat, but even without that, it was still kind of cool)

go to belize... have a great time.... as the song says "your heart never leaves once you've been to belize"

-lisa

Carnival Valor April 2006
Contemplating a cruise wedding in 2010