Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old August 8th, 2006, 05:05 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default ? Day at Cozumel & Camp Carnival

Our first cruise is in about 3 weeks...getting very excited. We are traveling with 10 & 16 yr old...question is...example: if we want to do an excursion in the morning for a few hours and leave the kids on the ship in their respective "clubs" and return, meet for lunch and then all go out again on an afternoon excursion (or vice versa)...PVP at Carnival said that wasn't a problem, they were there for that, provided it was within the Camp Carnival hours...but she never specified the times they were available the only day at port. Does anyone have any idea? Has anyone taken advantage of this? Any recommendations for excursions? (not shopping please). Ecstacy out of Galveston.

Also, thanks for all the great advice I'm learning from here!

Conquest, September, 2009
Fantasy, July, 2009
Fantasy, July, 2008
Fantasy, June, 2008
Fantasy, September, 2007
Ecstasy, September, 2006
Sponsored Links
Old August 8th, 2006, 06:02 PM
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to Luanne Russo

Okay, First of all Congrats on your first cruise. The Ecstasy was my first too. Nice ship, and very easy to get around.

I do not think the kids clubs are very active, if open, during port days. if they are, I as a mom, would not leave my kids on board ship, while I went on an excursion. Way to many things can go wrong. A ten year old can sign his or her self out of the club. A 16 year old is in a non acountablility area. They go in and out at will. So, what you have is your children being left on the ship by themselves. I'll bet your kids are very responsible, but consider the ship, during port days. Most things are closed. This is a good time for most of the crew to have some time off. Most guests are off the ship, so there are many places where your kids could be all alone.

Cozumel is still a tender area, which means that you will have to board a little boat to get to the dock. That takes time, and eats into the time you have for excursions, so you might not have time to do, all that you would like to do.

There are so many non shopping things to do in Coz. My favorite can be found on the Carnival excursions section It is called the Shotover boat. You will get to see not only Coz, but will take a boat to Playa de Carmen, and then a bus to Cancun, which I know you have heard about. The actual boat trip is sooo much fun. It goes very fast in and around the lagoons in Cancun. The trip also includes a chance to get something to eat, shop for a tee shirt for the kids, and even a chance to go down to the beaches. On the way there and back, your kids will get to see more of Mexico than they normally would.

I sure hope this helps. You will love the Ecstasy. What a great ship.

Luanne
Conquest 2006
Conquest 2007
Ecstasy 2008
Valor B2B 2008

Conquest Virtual Cruise Topic Link
Old August 8th, 2006, 07:52 PM
Admiral

Hi CajunCruiser,

I agree with Luanne. I wouldn't leave my older children onboard on a port day. They can come and go as they please, which could mean trouble. No matter how responsible your children are, they may be swayed by peer pressure to do something they wouldn't ordinarily do!

Hope you all have a wonderful cruise!

"A truly happy person is one who can enjoy the scenery on a detour."

Carnival Inspiration 2002 Carnival Elation 2004
Grand Princess 2004 NCL Sun 2005
Sun Princess 2006 NCL Dream 2007
Caribbean Princess 2007 NCL Dawn 2008
Island Princess 2008 Island Princess 2009
Golden Princess 2009 Carnival Conquest 2010
Grand Princess 2010 Island Princess 2011
Grand Princess 2011 Carnival Magic 2012
Carnival Dream 2012 Island Princess 2013
Carnival Magic 2013 Carnival Legend 2014
Sea Princess 2014
Old August 9th, 2006, 05:02 PM
Passenger

My biggest fear is that I would miss getting back on the ship for some reason and watching the ship sail away with my children on board. Unless you are on an excursion booked through Carnival that is running late, the ship WILL leave without you if you're not there on time.
Old August 10th, 2006, 09:33 PM
Beginner

Wow - lots of good 'common sense' tips on this thread. While I've travelled with my hubby on cruises before - we've never taken the kids before. At ages 5 and 16, we have simliar concerns.

Have any of you had experience with the walkie talkie / two-way radios? If so, did you rent them, or bring your own on board?
I'd like to keep track of my teen...
Old August 11th, 2006, 06:10 PM
Beginner

Take the kids to Paradise Beach in Cozumel. My 12 yr old and 14 yr old loved it. I thnk they have a website describing their amenties. I looked at our Camp Carnival paper from the Conquest for 12 - 14 yr olds, and there was nothing listed before 3:00.