Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old August 12th, 2006, 01:29 PM
Admiral

Default Carnival Elation

I'm new here so forgive the stupid questions sometimes. I haven't seen much written on the forum about the Elation. We will be sailing on it in November out of Port Canaveral, our first cruise ever. Anyone have anything good to say about it. I've read reviews from other sources and some people just hated every single thing about the ship, then 2 reviews later somebody loved everything about it. So what do I think...good or bad. I also haven't seen much written about Half Moon Cay. I'll have several questions I'm sure. About excursion, about that dreaded "dress code" and so forth. I've read through the forum a lot and it is the best one around. Thanks for any replies you have.

Need some cruise help?
Sponsored Links
Old August 12th, 2006, 01:43 PM
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to Luanne Russo

Hi Florida, Welcome to Cruisemates

I was on the Elation when it was cruising out of Galveston. It is a beautiful ship, with a wonderful, friendly group of people in charge. It is well maintained, and the food was to die for. I don't know much about the excursions, but there are many on here, who do, and will be glad to help.

Congrats on your cruise, and please feel free to ask us anything.

Luanne
Conquest 2006
Conquest 2007
Ecstasy 2008
Valor B2B 2008

Conquest Virtual Cruise Topic Link
Old August 12th, 2006, 02:21 PM
Admiral

The Elation is my favorite current sailing Carnival Ship (my all time favorite Carnival ship was the Mardi Gras (it was my first ..and you know what they say about your first (VBG) !!
Old August 12th, 2006, 03:04 PM
Admiral

I don't have anything bad to say about the Elation. I cruised the Grand Princess after Elation and thought the Grand was a prettier ship, but that is the only thing I liked better. The Elation is easy to get familiar with, the crew were very friendly. Relax and enjoy your cruise. Keep in mind, however, that the one thing one person can't stand will be the same thing that the next person will love . It's all a matter of opinion.
Mariner of the Seas

HAL Statendam Alaska Cruise Tour - 09/09/12; Disney Magic - 12/01/12; Allure of the Seas - 05/26/13
Old August 12th, 2006, 07:05 PM
Captain

That sounds like a great first cruise. Another is the Inspiration outta Tampa. I like all the open-air deck space the Fantasy-class ships. Be sure and check out the small patios (on both sides of the ship) at the back of the lido buffet. There's a few tables and chairs out there nobody seems to use and it's my favorite spot for mornin coffe or evenin sunsets.
Glory (eastern) 12/2006
Destiny 01/2009
Old August 13th, 2006, 11:11 AM
Admiral

The bad reviews I read sounded like the people that wrote them would not have been happy no matter what. They complained about it all. I'm sure it couldn't have been all that bad. I've never been so I wouldn't know bad from good. We have an outside cabin with a window, not a porthole. I booked directly through Carnival, was that a mistake? I've read so many of you use TA's. I spent several months researching cruises, prices, departing ports, excursions, ect. It was so confusing. I finially just had to make a decision, mostly based on when I can get off work without causing the most problems and stops that sounded really interesting. Room sizes are not really an issue. Most of our previous vacations have been taken in a 32 foot M/H with a bathroom so small that if you drop something, you have to squat, not bend over, to pick it up. I still have over 3 months of waiting and I have a millions things running through my head on what to take. I know someplace on this forum I say a list of extra things to take. I'm starting my list today. I still have many questions but will address them on the appropiate forum links. Thanks for you input on the Elation. I'm sure I will be happy with it.

Need some cruise help?
Old August 13th, 2006, 11:38 AM
Passenger

The Elation is a great ship! Living close to Galveston allows me the convenience of being close enough to cruise often. Having been on her 3 times I can tell you that she has a great crew, good food and the ship is easy enough to get around on. I enjoyed the pool area in the aft section of the ship. You will have a blast! Wish she was still in Galveston!
Old August 13th, 2006, 11:49 AM
Admiral

I'm feeling better about this ship already. Sounds like a good ship. I can hardly wait.

Need some cruise help?
Old August 13th, 2006, 11:59 AM
Captain

Send a message via AIM to David West Send a message via Yahoo to David West

Go with an open mind, and your there to enjoy and to relax. A few of the good things I like about cruising is, you don't have to cook, or clean up the kitchen, no rooms to clean up, no work, no worries Just to name a few.

If you decide not to go to the main dining room one night, don't go. Eat in the buffet dining room. You can do as little or as much as you can dare to do.

I'm not a real picky pearson. As long as the A/C works, the tiolet flushes, and a dining room of some sort is open, I'm a happy camper.

And the new Carnival Comfort beds, I don't know if its the beds or a gentle swaying of the ship, maybe even alittle of both, but I can sleep like a baby on those ships

Enjoy your cruise, and happy sailing;
David
Legend May 2009
Liberty - Aug.23 2008
Fantasy - Sept.22 2007
Fantasy - Sept.27 2007 (B 2 B )
Holiday- Sept.- 2006
Valor- May - 2006
Conquest- August- 2003
Inspiration-Sept.-2001
Enchanted Isle- Sept.- 1999
Old August 13th, 2006, 12:35 PM
First Mate

We sailed on the Elation when it was fairly new, in December 2000, and had a great time. The ship was fine, food was good, but the adults behaved worse than the teenagers. Since it was a holiday cruise from Los Angeles, I assume the majority of passengers were Angelinos. They were among the rudest and most inconsiderate people I've ever seen (and I travel fairly extensively).

But the ship was great. You can read my review and see some photos at www.MyCruiseAdventures.com.

Dana
Old August 13th, 2006, 06:53 PM
Admiral

Hi Florida,

We've also cruised on the Elation and had a wonderful time! As other's have said it's very easy to find your way around and the crew are great.

Quote:
a bathroom so small that if you drop something, you have to squat, not bend over, to pick it up.
You'll feel right at home, then !

"A truly happy person is one who can enjoy the scenery on a detour."

Carnival Inspiration 2002 Carnival Elation 2004
Grand Princess 2004 NCL Sun 2005
Sun Princess 2006 NCL Dream 2007
Caribbean Princess 2007 NCL Dawn 2008
Island Princess 2008 Island Princess 2009
Golden Princess 2009 Carnival Conquest 2010
Grand Princess 2010 Island Princess 2011
Grand Princess 2011 Carnival Magic 2012
Carnival Dream 2012 Island Princess 2013
Carnival Magic 2013 Carnival Legend 2014
Sea Princess 2014
Old August 13th, 2006, 08:26 PM
Beginner

Floridanamaw

By looking at your countdown clock we will be sailing with you on the Elation. This will be my first Carnival cruise. We did visit Half Moon Cay when we sailed on Holland America. It was our favorite port and one of the most beautiful places I have ever been. Half Moon was one of the main reasons we chose the Elation.

Robin