Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old August 13th, 2006, 12:23 PM
Passenger

Default First-time cruiser on Carnival Glory

I am a first-time cruiser, sailing December 2 on Carnival Glory. My travelling companion has been on five cruises so he has been very helpful, but it has been several years since his last cruise. I have read a lot of these message boards and learned a lot of things. Any other important hints I should know?
Sponsored Links
Old August 13th, 2006, 01:06 PM
Admiral

Hello Nancy;

Great ship for a new cruiser (or one who has been on over 100 like the lovely Mrs. Jones (Vita) and me). We just returned from our seven day aboard the Glory, and found it to be outstanding. The only hint I might give you is if possible arrive at the port somewhere around 1 P.M. to avoid a little bit of the wait to get aboard. You'll see great lines when you get there, but they go pretty fast, so don't panic. Have a great cruise, and if you have any specific questions, give me a P.M., or ask here.

See you aboard,

Ken
Old August 13th, 2006, 01:26 PM
Passenger

Default first-time cruiser on Glory 12/2/06

Thanks a lot for your response, Ken. We're flying in to Orlando the night before and staying at the airport Marriott, I think they take us to the airport about 10:00 on Saturday morning to meet the Carnival shuttle to take us to the port. I understand it's about an hour trip from airport to port. I am expecting long lines but I am also going to have a positive attitude and try to be patient.
Old August 13th, 2006, 04:09 PM
Captain

We had LONG lines our first time on the Conquest but on our 2nd Conquest adventure we arrived around 3 PM & NO lines.... Take some drinks & snacks for the line, also something to read & it will go fast for you....

Conquest .... Nov /03 (New Orleans)
Conquest .... Dec /05 (Galveston)
Celebration.. Sept /06 (Jacksonville)
Fantasy....... Dec/07 (New Orleans)
Splendor...... Nov. 29th, 2009

Splendor...... Nov. 28th, 2010 (booked)
Old August 13th, 2006, 05:45 PM
Captain

Nancy, I would advise you to debark immediately upon return to Port Canaveral. I have reliable information a "rabid" cruiser in shorts, sandals, flowered shirt, with a USMC tattoo will be boarding the ship as you debark. Try and leave some food and booze onbaord for him. You'll love the ship! Only thing I'd definitely suggest, plan an excursion in Belize. Beautiful place, but there's not much at the pier and you don't wanna wonder around past that point by yourselves. Cave tubing or reef snorkeling are most popular. AND, yah may as well start plannin the eastern route for next year, it's addictive.
Glory (eastern) 12/2006
Destiny 01/2009
Old August 13th, 2006, 06:17 PM
Captain

BTW Nancy, if you go to http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/faq.php#14 it will tell you how to add a countdown clock to your post signature. Enjoy your cruise!
Glory (eastern) 12/2006
Destiny 01/2009
Old August 13th, 2006, 08:25 PM
Admiral

Hi again Nancy;
Your info is absolutely right. It's about an hour, or even a little less to the port from the Orlando Airport. You'll get there a little bit early, but that's O.K. The wait to board will probably be about an hour or so, but just kick back, and enjoy the excitement of getting aboard.

Cleveland, I think you got it all wrong. That guy you're describing, ie; guy with the shorts, flowered shirt, and Marine Corps tattoo sounds exactly like me, and I got off the Glory last weekend! There couldn't be two of us,,,,,could there?????? 8) Hope to meet you aboard one of these days.

Semper Fi

Ken
Old August 13th, 2006, 09:28 PM
Passenger

thanks guys - for all the suggestions. I will tell my friend about the suggestion on Belize. We wll probably again be discussing shore excursions next time we get together. I'll look for men who match your descriptions and maybe introduce myself?? Hope my friend understands. OH and I'll figure out how to do the countdown too, thanks
Old August 13th, 2006, 11:01 PM
Admiral

Nancyjw - The Glory was my first (blush!!!) - and I loved every minute of it. If you can get a hold of a carnival brochure with the deck plans of the Glory - cut out the pages and take them with you. She can be very confusing at first - like the dining rooms - "you can't get there from here lol". They give you a little map but it doesn't help much. Study the deck plans and you will be much farther ahead.

Have a great cruise!!!!!

TTFN Jennifer
Old August 14th, 2006, 01:17 AM
Passenger

thanks jennifer - will do as you suggested
Old August 14th, 2006, 09:18 AM
Captain

Hope to meet you aboard one of these days.

Hey Mac, Semper Fi back atcha! Carnival oughta have a Marine Corps birthday (Nov. 10th) cruise. We could storm the beach and secure Carlos-n-Charlies.
Glory (eastern) 12/2006
Destiny 01/2009
Old August 14th, 2006, 10:28 PM
Passenger

I've never been in the Marines - but ok - I'll get a tattoo if necessary - been thinking about it
Old August 15th, 2006, 08:26 AM
Captain

been thinking about it

Nancy, I sure hope you mean thinkin bout the tattoo and not the Marines. I walked guard around the WM barracks at PI and the women DI's were worse than ours.

Anyway, yer gonna love your cruise. Ask others bout Belize, I think they'll co-sign what I told you. Don't miss the sap/gym with the waterfall in the hot-tub or the chocolate buffet (think it's second last day at lunch in the buffet. And take a peek at the video arcade. I suggest takin your dinners in the dining room. The selections are out of this world. In fact, Carnival has a menu on it's website, I can look up the address if you'd like. Enjoy, it's almost impossible to do otherwise!
Glory (eastern) 12/2006
Destiny 01/2009
Old August 15th, 2006, 09:59 AM
Admiral

Cleveland, I think Nancy was talking about the tattoo, not joining the Corps. She'd look great with a well placed tattoo, but I don't think we want to "make a man" out of her!!
I just looked, and I'll be boarding the "Miracle" out of Tampa on November 11th. I couldn't get them to let me aboard one day early. Come on along, and we'll storm the beach at Cozumel while celebrating our birthday!! I'll even get the waiters to sing "Happy Birthday Tu Yu".

Semper Fi

Ken
Old August 16th, 2006, 12:47 AM
Passenger

Thanks Cleveland and Skymaster. Yes, I hope to find the gym, as I hate to miss a night when I am "on land". Is that how you say it??? (in other words I have no social life). My travelling companion (who happens to be a Navy man) and I hope to meet some nice people on the cruise- hopefully they will be as fun as you guys. Yes I meant a tattoo as opposed to joining the Marines. Couldn't pass the physical part but wow, lots of men.
Old August 16th, 2006, 01:18 AM
Passenger

ok i am a total idiot!! can't figure out how to do that countdown clock. I get as far as pasting it into my signature space but where do I put my numbers in the little equation?
Old August 16th, 2006, 08:01 AM
Captain

where do I put my numbers in the little equation?

Nancy, for your cruise, you would change the "month = 02" to "12" and leave the rest "as is" since you sail in the 12th month, year of 2006, day of 2nd, and hour equals 16:00. Just copy and paste the sample including "img with brackets" into your signature and change the month to 12. That's it!

Also, you'll have no problem finding the spa/gym. Take the main glass-enclosed elevators from the atrium up to the 11th floor (spa deck) and the desk is right there in front of you when you get off. Turn in your sail-n-sign and they'll give you a locker key. It's way up in the front of the ship and all glass enclosed. The view is incredible and they've got steam room, spa, full gym, etc. all free of charge.
Glory (eastern) 12/2006
Destiny 01/2009
Old August 16th, 2006, 08:10 PM
Passenger

Wow Thanks Cleveland Rocks, for helping me with the countdown thing. I knew it had to be something fairly simple. Let's see if it works.

And thanks for the instructions on how to get to the gym.

You rock!
Old August 16th, 2006, 08:10 PM
Passenger

whoops that didnt work
Old August 16th, 2006, 08:14 PM
Passenger

oh it worked now -
Old August 17th, 2006, 09:24 AM
Captain

Glad to help. Soooooooo, how long yah think it'll take for you to book your next cruise once you return? hehehe, I'll say a week!
Glory (eastern) 12/2006
Destiny 01/2009
Old August 17th, 2006, 05:49 PM
Passenger

Can ya book a cruise a year in advance?? Because that is how long it would take me to save up. And then who knows if my travelling companion is still interested in me after all that time. I am sure I will be "hooked" like everyone else seems to be.
Old August 17th, 2006, 07:04 PM
Captain

Can ya book a cruise a year in advance??

Oh absolutely, sometimes you find great prices goin out that far. Other times the best deals are on ships about to sail which haven't booked up. If they are filling up, you'll see the prices increase as they near departure date. Nothin set in stone, supply and demand drives prices.
Glory (eastern) 12/2006
Destiny 01/2009
Old August 17th, 2006, 09:15 PM
Cruise Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancyjw
Can ya book a cruise a year in advance?? Because that is how long it would take me to save up. And then who knows if my travelling companion is still interested in me after all that time. I am sure I will be "hooked" like everyone else seems to be.
Oh heck yeah. Some ships are taking reservations for as far out as March of 2008 right now. That gives you 15-16 months to save up for the final payment.