CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (
-   Carnival Cruise Lines (
-   -   Suggestions - Tampa hotel? (

jonoxl August 14th, 2006 11:44 AM

Suggestions - Tampa hotel?
Hi all
I'm looking for a hotel room in Tampa for the night before we cruise, (late November, on the Miracle).
We will be staying in Kissimmee for a few days either side of the cruise but have decided to visit Busch Cardens the day before the cruise. Rather than do a double journey, I thought it would be better to book a hotel and just stay in Tampa for the night.

Has anyone got any suggestions for a hotel near Busch Gardens?
Would it be more advisable to find a hotel that would let me leave the car in their car-park and get a taxi to and from the port?
If so, how much would a taxi cost from the Busch Gardens area to the port cost?

As you may be able to tell, I'm not particullarly looking forward to driving on this holiday since you Yanks drive on the wrong side of the road.:wink: So the less driving involved the better.

KAWS August 14th, 2006 02:12 PM

After MUCH research, we decided on Embassy Suites. Good location good rates.

Darcy August 14th, 2006 03:37 PM

Busch Gardens is quite a ways from the port. I was at a hotel near the port area and took a taxi to Busch Gardens. It ran me about $35 each way to and from Busch Gardens and it was an additional $10 to the port the next day.

jonoxl August 14th, 2006 03:52 PM

Thanks for the replies. I'll give the Embassy suites a browse later Kim.
Darcy, I'd be quite happy to pay $90 if I could offset this against free parking at the hotel.
Thanks again,

cthrn27 August 15th, 2006 01:21 PM

we stayed at the Embassy Suites near the airport and got free transport from the airport to the hotel (they also offer free shuttle within 3 miles, but the port is farther than that). It cost 4 of us $40 to get from the hotel to the pier. Didn't so much mind the fare, but everytime we turned around we were tipping someone to take our bags in or out or something, or to hold them for 3 minutes. There is also an embassy that you can literally see from the ship.

After cruise, we stayed at the embassy on the USF grounds that is quite near Busch. By then we had a car.

cthrn27 August 15th, 2006 01:23 PM

sorry. forgot to add that we really like Embassy because we travel with 2 teenagers and you get 2 televisions, a pull out sofa in a seperate room and FREEE cooked to order breakfast. Doesn't seem like much to some, but my kids can really eat! :D

KAWS August 15th, 2006 07:24 PM

I didn't realize there was an Embassy closer to the pier. We're at the Westshore, which I assume is the same one you were at, i.e., near the airport.

I agree with you re the tipping. Gets old pretty fast. I'll have to do some more research to find that Embassy near the pier. I'm sure they will have a shuttle to their hotel and then we'll be that much closer for taxi the next day.

Thanks for the heads up.