Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old August 16th, 2006, 11:28 AM
Cruise Maniac

Default How do I book for dinner reservations on the Carnival Glory?

I'm going on the Carnival Glory next week and I want to dine at the main dining room (not the one that costs $$$). It has arranged seatings, however, at 5:45, 6:15, 8:00 and 8:30. I'm travelling with my family of 5.

So, how do I book for a seating? I want to have supper at 8:00, but I tried to search on the Carnival website for restaurant bookings, but couldn't find a page where this could be done. Also, because I am in a group of 5, does that mean that I will have to share a table with another person, to make it an even 6?

Any comments would be appreciated, especially from past cruisers, because this is just my first cruise! [/b]
Sponsored Links
Old August 16th, 2006, 11:57 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

You REQUEST your dinner seating time with your travel agent.

And you make sure the TA cross references you with your travel companions for dinner assignment. You also have the travel agent request the size of the table you want.

With Carnival dining times are not guaranteed, but dealt with as "requests".

If you arrive and find you didn't get your preferred time you can go see the Maitre D to see if you can be moved.
Old August 16th, 2006, 12:54 PM
Captain

The Glory has two "main" dining rooms (Golden + Platinum) one forward and one aft. One serves at 5:45 + 8:00, the other at 6:15 + 8:30. The galley sits between the two so they send food forward then aft. They are both free. The "supper club" charges for reservations. Your dinner assignment will be on your sail-n-sign when you receive them (dining room, time, and table). If you're assigned to the early seating and want late, it should be no problem for the Maitre D to change it. Going from late to early is usually a problem. Contact him as soon as you board, there's usually quite a few wanting changes.
Glory (eastern) 12/2006
Destiny 01/2009
Old August 16th, 2006, 12:56 PM
Cruise Maniac

You have probably already chosen a seating and don't remember it or don't realize it. Dinner seatings are chosen when you make the reservation, at least when you do it online they are.
Old August 16th, 2006, 01:03 PM
Captain

Yeah, but like Kuki stated, that's just a request not an assignment. The assignment is on your sail-n-sign.
Glory (eastern) 12/2006
Destiny 01/2009
Old August 16th, 2006, 01:04 PM
Cruise Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClevelandRocks
Yeah, but like Kuki stated, that's just a request not an assignmnet. The assignment is on your sail-n-sign.
Oh yeah, of course. My point was just that he probably already made the request, whether he recalled it or not, that's all.
Old August 16th, 2006, 02:42 PM
Admiral

When you check in at the pier, your dining room assignment will be on the sign-n-sail card. The 8P.M. dinner is in the Platinum dining room, which is the forward (actually mid-ship) dining room. Check the cards of all 5 of the people traveling together, to make sure you have the 8p.m. dining reservations, and that you are all assigned the same table number. (That's on the card as well) If you don't have exactly what you want, go directly to the platinum dining room when you board, and see the maitre-D. He will be able to fix you up. As stated before the early seatings are the "full" ones, and you should have no problem getting the proper table in the late seating.
Good luck, and have a great cruise.

Ken
Old August 16th, 2006, 03:14 PM
Cruise Maniac

So, you guys mean that the seatings are assigned when you check in at the port, right? Well, for one thing, the travel agent never mentioned about reserving times when I booked my cruise. I only found out when I read the Welcome Aboard brochure that was in the package provided by Carnival. In the booklet, there's a Sail & Sign Account and Guest Ticket Contract Acknowledgment sheet that to be filled out, but it doesn't say anything about booking for dinner, so I guess that it's not related to that.
Old August 16th, 2006, 04:46 PM
Captain

So, you guys mean that the seatings are assigned when you check in at the port, right?

Not exactly, your sail-n-sign cards (with seating assignment) will already be made-up when you get there. You just give them the credit card you want them secured with and sign the form. They're prepared by the information provided online or by your TA. But as we mentioned, you can only request a specific seating there's no guarantee. AND, switching from early to late is not a problem it's the other way around that's tough.
Glory (eastern) 12/2006
Destiny 01/2009
Old August 16th, 2006, 05:09 PM
Cruise Maniac

If our cabin is on the aft of the ship, do they have your dinner on the aft??? Or do we need to ask??
[img]http://www.cruisemates.com/countdown.php?month=11&year=2011&day=30&hour=16:00[img]Carnaval Freedom
Old August 16th, 2006, 06:00 PM
Admiral

Hi Potter;

Nope, I don't think they look at where your cabin is located at all. The dining rooms simply aren't that far apart. You could go to the maitre-D and ask for the aft dining room if you prefer, but honestly, it won't make much diffenence. (IMO the aft dining room aboard the Glory is a little bit nicer, because it has the big windows facing the wake of the ship)

Ken
Old August 16th, 2006, 07:12 PM
Admiral

The aft dining room has the 5:45 and 8:30 p.m. seatings. The Golden Dining Room has the 6:15 and 8:00 p.m. seatings. If you were not asked which seating you preferred when you booked your cruise, I believe the cruise line chooses a dining time for you. I would call whoever you booked your cruise thru because your time is set prior to your arrival onboard the ship. Even when requesting a particular time, you don't always get it and when we arrive on board, we seek out the Maitre D' a.s.a.p. and try to change it, this happened to us twice and we could not change our dining time on either cruise.
Old August 16th, 2006, 07:15 PM
Admiral

Hi Cherie,

Quote:
So, you guys mean that the seatings are assigned when you check in at the port, right? Well, for one thing, the travel agent never mentioned about reserving times when I booked my cruise.
No, the seating's are assigned before you board. IMO, it's time to find another Travel Agent if they didn't ask your dining preference. Your agent should have asked and that should have been noted when you made your booking and down payment (or full payment if you were inside the final payment time when you booked).

I'd suggest you call your TA and ask. (Maybe you've just forgotten in all the excitement ?)

Have a wonderful cruise, wherever you end up for dinner!

"A truly happy person is one who can enjoy the scenery on a detour."

Carnival Inspiration 2002 Carnival Elation 2004
Grand Princess 2004 NCL Sun 2005
Sun Princess 2006 NCL Dream 2007
Caribbean Princess 2007 NCL Dawn 2008
Island Princess 2008 Island Princess 2009
Golden Princess 2009 Carnival Conquest 2010
Grand Princess 2010 Island Princess 2011
Grand Princess 2011 Carnival Magic 2012
Carnival Dream 2012 Island Princess 2013
Carnival Magic 2013 Carnival Legend 2014
Sea Princess 2014
Old August 16th, 2006, 07:23 PM
Passenger

Is one dining room better than the other?(On the Glory) I think my travelling companion told our TA we wanted 6:15 seatings so we could make the shows, so that is the Golden dining room, right? Are they both equal as far as quality?
Old August 16th, 2006, 07:27 PM
Cruise Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancyjw
Is one dining room better than the other?(On the Glory) I think my travelling companion told our TA we wanted 6:15 seatings so we could make the shows, so that is the Golden dining room, right? Are they both equal as far as quality?
This is what Cruisemates says:

"Carnival's Total Choice Dining provides for four seating times for a table in the main dining rooms at 5:45 or 6:15p.m.m and 8 or 8:30p.m.m. Of the two main dining rooms, the Platinum Restaurant, located aft, is framed by three walls of windows so it boasts better views. The Golden Restaurant is located mid-ships with windows only on two sides. The best tables are on the balcony, the middle lower section being a bit noisy. The friendly atmosphere is encouraged by the tables seating between four and six people, although there are quite a few tables for only two diners."

So, I think that, if you want a better view, the aft would be better. But, as you said, if you don't want to miss the shows at night, an earlier seating would be best (5:45 or 6:15). You could book for the earliest seating possible (5:45), which would place you in the aft section, so you get views and the shows too. However, it's terribly early (just my opinion, though).
Old August 16th, 2006, 07:31 PM
Admiral

Nancyjw....you are correct, the 6:15 p.m. seating is in the Golden Restaurant (beautiful decor). Both dining rooms have exactly the same menu and food quality, hope you get a great wait staff. Put your dancing shoes on 'cause they're going to get you up on the floor to dance. The food is great!!
Old August 16th, 2006, 09:34 PM
Cruise Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosetattoo
The aft dining room has the 5:45 and 8:30 p.m. seatings. The Golden Dining Room has the 6:15 and 8:00 p.m. seatings. If you were not asked which seating you preferred when you booked your cruise, I believe the cruise line chooses a dining time for you. I would call whoever you booked your cruise thru because your time is set prior to your arrival onboard the ship. Even when requesting a particular time, you don't always get it and when we arrive on board, we seek out the Maitre D' a.s.a.p. and try to change it, this happened to us twice and we could not change our dining time on either cruise.
Are you sure about this....I thought the dining room times were alternated...Thus, the room that has the 5:45 seating will also have the 8:00 pm seating. While the other room will have the 6:15 and 8:30 seatings.
Carnival Glory 9/2006
Holiday 11/2006
Fantasy 04/26/07
Carnival Freedom 11/24/07 - Open Bar Cruise!!!
Old August 16th, 2006, 09:40 PM
Admiral

loanshark....you might be right about the late seatings. I had the 6:15 p.m. seating in the Golden Dining Room and assumed, probably incorrectly, that the next seating would be at 8:00 p.m.
Old August 16th, 2006, 10:52 PM
Admiral

Strange as it seems, we just came off the Glory. Our dining on our Sign-n-Sail card is Platinum at 8P.M. I got it changed, and we had Platinum at 5:45P.M. Doesn't seem right, but I'm looking at the cards,,,,both the sign-n-sail, and the dining reassignment. You're right. The food aboard the Glory was the best of any Carnival cruise we've taken in a long, long time. Excellent.

Ken
Old August 17th, 2006, 06:57 PM
Admiral

Hi Cherie,

Quote:
But, as you said, if you don't want to miss the shows at night, an earlier seating would be best (5:45 or 6:15).
We haven't been on Carnival in a while, but unless things have changed the same main shows are offered twice every night. If you have early seating you can go to the later show (after dinner) and if you have late seating, you can go to the early show (before dinner).

Can anyone confirm this?

"A truly happy person is one who can enjoy the scenery on a detour."

Carnival Inspiration 2002 Carnival Elation 2004
Grand Princess 2004 NCL Sun 2005
Sun Princess 2006 NCL Dream 2007
Caribbean Princess 2007 NCL Dawn 2008
Island Princess 2008 Island Princess 2009
Golden Princess 2009 Carnival Conquest 2010
Grand Princess 2010 Island Princess 2011
Grand Princess 2011 Carnival Magic 2012
Carnival Dream 2012 Island Princess 2013
Carnival Magic 2013 Carnival Legend 2014
Sea Princess 2014
Old August 18th, 2006, 09:04 AM
Passenger

fern, you are right about the two shows, but last year on the liberty
we had late seating and while we were eating the early diners were
at the show and when we were done with dinner the show for the late diners was at approx. 10 or 10:30 so we always went to the shows after dinner and not before. If I'm wrong and carnival has changed this could someone please let me know because we are sailing on the glory again
on nov.11,2006
Old August 18th, 2006, 08:49 PM
Passenger

Skymaster, I heard the Platinum dining room as the best views. But if we do early seating, we will not be in that dining room - right?? (On the Glory)
Old August 19th, 2006, 06:48 AM
Captain

Nancy, both dining rooms have an "early seating", just one is at 5:45 and the other at 6:15. The 8:00 and 8:30 times are considered the "late seating." This enables the kitchen (located between the two) to prepare one menu and deliver food forward, then aft, with the same waiters. Really very efficient. You don't have this on the smaller ships with only one dining room.
Glory (eastern) 12/2006
Destiny 01/2009
Old August 19th, 2006, 08:47 AM
Admiral

Cleveland is right Nancy. The Platinum does have the best views,,,windows on three sides, and it does have early seating 5:45. Have a great cruise!

Ken
Old August 19th, 2006, 02:35 PM
Passenger

Skymaster I will check with my travelling companion but think he asked for 6:15 seating - we will explore the whole ship anyway
Old August 20th, 2006, 11:25 AM
Admiral

Don't worry about it Nancy. The Golden restaurant is very nice also, and unless you happen to get a window table in the Platinum, you probably won't look outside much anyway. If you are absolutely set on the Platinum, then go directly to the Mater D' just as soon as you board, and see if he can change you to the Platinum. (That's assuming you don't get assigned it anyway, which you might) I'll let you in on a little secret. Ask for table 300 in the Platinum,,,I think this is the only table for two at a window, and it has an excellent wait staff. Outstanding!!

Ken