Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old August 16th, 2006, 04:22 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default What to Wear on Formal Nights on the Carnival Glory

I'm going on my first cruise next week on the Carnival Glory

There are going to be 2 formal nights. Is one night supposed to be the formal one and the other a less-formal or semi-formal one? Also, what are some suggestions as to what I should wear? Would a sundress be fine, or will I have to pull on a cocktail/party dress?

Some website (for Carnival, of course) recommended a gown, but I don't think that it's supposed to be as formal as it sounds. (I don't wanna be too formal.) Tips on what to wear for both the formal nights would be much appreciated, especially those from past cruisers.[/i]
Old August 16th, 2006, 04:29 PM
Admiral

You can wear nice cocktail dresses on Formal night if you like. You could also wear full gowns and not be out of place at all. I saw all kinds of formal gowns and tuxes on Formal night.

Informal nights you can wear slacks with a nice top or a nice sundress or a party dress would also work.

Life is too short to let the ship of your dreams sail without you.

Carnival Destiny Feb. 2006
Carnival Fascination Feb. 2007
Royal Caribbean Grandeur of the Seas Feb. 2008 The DTW & MsBJ tour
Carnival Valor MsBJ and Dina Feb. 2009
Carnival Glory MsBJ and Dina Feb. 2010
Carnival Dream MsBJ and Dina Feb. 2011
Old August 16th, 2006, 05:46 PM
Cruise Maniac

I wore capri's alot on reg nights in dinning room also. Dina is right you see everything from formal gowns to little dresses to pant suits on formal night. Just kick back have great fun and enjoy your vacation. Lynn
[img]http://www.cruisemates.com/countdown.php?month=11&year=2011&day=30&hour=16:00[img]Carnaval Freedom
Old August 16th, 2006, 06:18 PM
Cruise Maniac

Just another question: Are jeans (capris, full-length) allowed in the dining room on casual nights?
Old August 16th, 2006, 06:45 PM
Cruise Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Potter
I wore capri's alot on reg nights in dinning room also. Dina is right you see everything from formal gowns to little dresses to pant suits on formal night. Just kick back have great fun and enjoy your vacation. Lynn
Are jean capris allowed on regular casual nights in the dining room?
Old August 17th, 2006, 10:54 AM
Cruise Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by amaretto
Quote:
Originally Posted by Potter
Are jean capris allowed on regular casual nights in the dining room?
On the cruise out of New York I was on, there were no regular casual nights in the dining room. There were "resort casual" nights, though.
Old August 17th, 2006, 10:59 AM
Cruise Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by dina
You can wear nice cocktail dresses on Formal night if you like. You could also wear full gowns and not be out of place at all. I saw all kinds of formal gowns and tuxes on Formal night.

Informal nights you can wear slacks with a nice top or a nice sundress or a party dress would also work.
I was thinking...if I wore a prom-dress style type of formal wear (think of tulle ballgown, but not poofy), would I still not be out of place? I don't want to spend extra buying a new dress, so do you think that I could maybe wear my old prom dress?
Old August 17th, 2006, 11:12 AM
Admiral

Nope.. You would not be out of place at all. I've seen a lot of those on the ship as well.

Life is too short to let the ship of your dreams sail without you.

Carnival Destiny Feb. 2006
Carnival Fascination Feb. 2007
Royal Caribbean Grandeur of the Seas Feb. 2008 The DTW & MsBJ tour
Carnival Valor MsBJ and Dina Feb. 2009
Carnival Glory MsBJ and Dina Feb. 2010
Carnival Dream MsBJ and Dina Feb. 2011
Old August 17th, 2006, 11:52 AM
Admiral

amaretto - your prom-style dress would be perfect for formal night. The first formal night - the Captain's Gala Welcome Aboard seems to be the dressier of the two formal nights. A cocktail/party dress would be perfect for either formal nights. Sundress - casual wear- that and sheathdresses are all i wear on casual nights.
Denim capris with a nice top and a nice pair of leather sandals, slides or kitten heels would be ok for casual nights i would think,not positive on that one
Old August 17th, 2006, 01:28 PM
Admiral

I'm surprised nobody on these boards has gone into business as a "fashion cruise clothes formal consultant) (VBG)

With the new crack down on carry on baggage...I think the next big trend is for lighter (as in weight) clothes for formal nights..tuxs and really formal gowns weight alot and take up alot of room in your suitor ...so I think there will be "dressy casual " cruise wear coming out real soon

as long as it doesn't wrinkle, Aremetto, you will look just fine !!! have fun on your first cruise ( a fun thing to do on your first cruise is get dress early and then go into the public spaces and see what other women are wearing..I always love watching when several women are wearing the same dress..men, we don't care if we all look alike )
Old August 17th, 2006, 01:30 PM
Cruise Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by venice
I'm surprised nobody on these boards has gone into business as a "fashion cruise clothes formal consultant) (VBG)
Haha
Old August 17th, 2006, 01:37 PM
Passenger

Agree with what others have said. The formal nights are a great opportunity to get photos of you, your spouse and family members (if traveling together) together. it is rare that we get the teen boys dressed up so we took advantage of it. My husband has never gone all out with the tux and I haven't invested in a gown, but he usually wears a dark suit and I wear a nice cocktail dress. Some people even on the short little 4 day cruises would be decked out in tuxes and gowns, it's up to you.

Lynn