Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old August 16th, 2006, 05:39 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default *Food* on the Carnival Glory

For past cruisers, what do you think of the food on the Carnival Glory? Do you think that it's worth your money that you paid in the booking, or is it terrible? Also, is the dining experience better in the Silver and Platinum (main) dining rooms, or in the bistro (buffet)? I'd like to hear from all of you because I'm going on my first ever cruise in about a week!
Old August 16th, 2006, 07:27 PM
Admiral

The food on the Glory is very good, if you don't like your selection, choose something else, they'll be happy to bring it to you or order as many as you like of the dishes you particularly like, they have a delicious raspberry creme brulee one evening and Bitter and Blanc (order more than one of these mouth watering desserts, fabulous). The buffet in the Red Sail differs daily, there will be items you will absolutely love and others that are just o.k. Don't forget to try the fish 'n chips on the second floor of the Red Sail. And, if you don't like anything on the buffet, you can eat at the deli, oriental, pizza and calzones, or items from the grille. Of course, the dining experience is different in the formal dining rooms, it's nice to be waited on and pampered. If you absolutely do not like any of the entrees on a particular night, you can always order a steak even tho it's not on the menu and baked potatos.
Old August 16th, 2006, 08:14 PM
Captain

Cherie, heres a link to Carnival's dinner menu. http://www.carnival.com/CMS/FAQs/Sam...ay_Cruise.aspx

I found the food in the dining room to be very good and the service excellent. Course, I'm not hard to please either. But, I usually take my breakfasts and lunches in the lido buffet. I like the unusual, international selection and flexible times. Try it all and see what suits you best.
Glory (eastern) 12/2006
Destiny 01/2009
Old August 16th, 2006, 09:16 PM
Captain

Send a message via AIM to David West Send a message via Yahoo to David West

Sorry, I hadn't been on the Glory as of Yet But I'm getting there slowly but surely
I have sailed on The Inspiration, Conquest, and the Valor. And soon to be the Holiday. On all 3 ships, the food as been wonderful. Even the Pizza was good So enjoy your cruise to the fullest !

Happy Sailing;
David
Legend May 2009
Liberty - Aug.23 2008
Fantasy - Sept.22 2007
Fantasy - Sept.27 2007 (B 2 B )
Holiday- Sept.- 2006
Valor- May - 2006
Conquest- August- 2003
Inspiration-Sept.-2001
Enchanted Isle- Sept.- 1999
Old August 17th, 2006, 11:43 PM
Passenger

Sheesh Cleveland Rocks - I know I don't get out much but I have not heard of half the items on that menu. Someone told me to try the pumpkin soup. I might need to study a foreign language to figure out how to order.
Old August 17th, 2006, 11:57 PM
Cruise Maniac

On both my Carnival cruises, I have been very happy with everything I've ordered. Believe it or not, one of my favorites was the vegetarian enchiladas, and I'm not a vegetarian. Everyone at our table wished they had ordered them. One person even ordered them after they saw mine.

The pumpkin soup was also very yummy.

Monarch of the Seas - December 2006
Elation - April 2006
Sensation - May 2005
Old August 18th, 2006, 12:44 AM
Cruise Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brittany
On both my Carnival cruises, I have been very happy with everything I've ordered. Believe it or not, one of my favorites was the vegetarian enchiladas, and I'm not a vegetarian. Everyone at our table wished they had ordered them. One person even ordered them after they saw mine.

The pumpkin soup was also very yummy.
Thanks for the suggestion.

Can anyone else recommend any must-try dishes (or even shows) for the Carnival Glory?
Old August 18th, 2006, 07:15 AM
Captain

Someone told me to try the pumpkin soup.

And they were right, one of my girlfriends favorites. I like the "mango creme" and "strawberry bisque". For me, the appetizers and desserts are the most interesting, soooooooo I'll normally order two appetizers. This is what it's all about, international cuisine and tryin things/goin places you've never been. I even made her try escargot. Did she like it, no, but we just switched. I really don't like snails either.
Glory (eastern) 12/2006
Destiny 01/2009
Old August 18th, 2006, 08:48 AM
Admiral

We just returned from the Glory, and I think the food, and service aboard was the best of any Carnival ship I've ever sailed. The chef obviously is not afraid to season the food, as the exact same food aboard the Valor was bland, and tasteless! Try it all, it's all excellent with very few exceptions. (your wait staff will tell you if there's anything you might not want to order) I thought the escargot was very good, and the strawberry bisque unusual, but excellent. Prime on the last night was truly one of the best I've ever had. Really really good.
Be sure to catch the "Legends" show on the last night out. It's your fellow passengers performing, along with the cruise director and the karaoke host, and they really put on a great show. You'll enjoy it!
Have a great cruise,,,,,wish we could join you!

Ken
Old August 21st, 2006, 11:10 AM
Cruise Maniac

Do you think that I could order, perhaps, more than one of each dish, or more than one of each course (appetiser, desserts, etc...)? Would it be rude if I did that?
Old August 21st, 2006, 11:27 AM
Admiral

You can order mulitple of everything on the dinner menu. It happens all the time. You'll probably want to order them at the same time so your not sitting there twice as long. Its very common for people to do this.

Life is too short to let the ship of your dreams sail without you.

Carnival Destiny Feb. 2006
Carnival Fascination Feb. 2007
Royal Caribbean Grandeur of the Seas Feb. 2008 The DTW & MsBJ tour
Carnival Valor MsBJ and Dina Feb. 2009
Carnival Glory MsBJ and Dina Feb. 2010
Carnival Dream MsBJ and Dina Feb. 2011
Old August 21st, 2006, 11:51 AM
Admiral

Dina, you make a very good point....Amaretto, if you want to try more than one appetizer or entree (you can order as many as you want), order them at the same time, they will serve you each item one at a time, it's not like you're going to have 6 plates of food sitting in front of you. Also, the wait staff is very organized and they operate under certain time constraints. If you wait until you finish an entree to order another one, it throws their timing off and you'll be eating your second entree while they are trying to serve dessert. Desserts also, order them at the same time. When the head waiter approaches your table, he will take your orders for the appetizers, salad, and entree. After you have finished your main courses, he will then give you the dessert menu. The wait staff sing and dance on certain nights and try to finish the full service at their assigned tables prior to this. You are going to be pleasantly surprised at all the food venues on the Glory, especially for lunch, you won't know what to eat or where. Don't miss the chocolate buffet at lunch time, I believe it's on the day prior to your return to Port, even if you don't eat chocolate (what am I saying?), just go and take photos. They had fruit and small warm donuts that I held under the chocolate fountain until they were smothered, yum!