Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old August 16th, 2006, 09:38 PM
Admiral

Default Assigning tablemates

How do they assign your table mates? Age grouping or random? It would be nice if there was a way when you book that they did a little survey and find out what your likes and dislikes were so they would match you with someone you had something in common with. kind of like on line dating!! (Don't laugh, thats how I met my BF) I don't want to be at a table with a bunch of rude young kids or with somebody that we don't have anything in common with. Are all the tables large or do they have smaller tables with less people? Also, if you don't eat in the dining room and eat at the pizza place or on the Lido deck is the food still included in the price of cruise? What places do you have to pay for food. I know drinks are not included, but what about the eating places?

Need some cruise help?
Sponsored Links
Old August 16th, 2006, 09:48 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

Carnival asks for your ages at time of booking, and they try and use that when doing dining assignments.

When you made your reservation you should have been asked if you want a large or small table.

You don't say what ship you're going on.. so for you paying for food question... if the ship has an alternate fine dining restaurant there's a service charge, and at the coffee/pastry bar.

The buffets and pizza counters are included in the price.
- The Kuki Side of Cruising-
A new Blog post every Wednesday
http://www.cruisemates.com/blog/author/kuki/
Old August 16th, 2006, 09:53 PM
Admiral

The only food that you would pay extra for, I believe, is in the specialty coffee/dessert venue on the Promenade Deck. The coffee, ice cream and desserts are an extra charge. All other food is included in the price of the cruise, including food ordered from room service. As far as tablemate assignments, I don't know how the cruise lines do this. I have been placed at large tables with people of all ages, likes, background, etc. I have also been placed at tables with people that don't speak a word of English (that was a tough situation). When I travel with only my grandson, I always request a table for two after being seated on one cruise with a bunch of people who used foul language, drank excessively, were rude, loud and obnoxious and did not care if there was a child at the table. I tried to change our table with no success. We ate for the remainder of this cruise at the buffet and missed the total dining experience.
Old August 16th, 2006, 10:02 PM
Admiral

considering the volume of passengers that Carnival and other cruise lines serve every week..IMHO they do a really good job of table assignments..in tody's enviroment you have more options so if you don't like who you are sitting with you can go to other venues and the folks that you left won't know whether it was because you wanted to try other venues or didn't like them...they usually don't put a couple at the same table with a family with kids..they might put a couple that is celebrating their 50th year anniversary with a couple celebrating their 25th anniversary with some newlyweds

sometimes with your dinner companions it might take a night or two for everyone to warm up and then you will enjoy their company for the rest of the cruise
Old August 16th, 2006, 11:29 PM
Admiral

Like Rosetattoo said about the table with rude, obnoxious people, I won't have a child with me, but I still don't care to listen to people that feel that is the only way to carry on a conversation. Should we decide not to eat in the dining room should we notify them that we will not be there at our table or does it matter if we just don't show up? Thanks for all your answers. Oh, we will be on the Elation, if that matters in the charges for non dining room places.

Need some cruise help?
Old August 16th, 2006, 11:41 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

IF after the first night you decide your tablemates are not going to be compatible, just go see the Maitre d and request a table change. Sure they will accomodate the request.
- The Kuki Side of Cruising-
A new Blog post every Wednesday
http://www.cruisemates.com/blog/author/kuki/
Old August 17th, 2006, 07:46 AM
Captain

I agree, if you don't like your table mates request a new table. But, don't miss the dinners served in the dining room. Only time we do is one formal nites. Did the formal thing first cruise, enjoyed it, but can't be bothered packing the extra cloths anymore. One advantage to being seated at a large table, you're bound to find at least one other friendly couple. OTOH, if you're seated at a 4-topper and don't get along, it's pretty uncomfortable. All part of the experience, new places, new friends, great memories.
Glory (eastern) 12/2006
Destiny 01/2009
Old August 17th, 2006, 08:49 AM
Admiral

I agree with Cleveland. We always request a large table, and out of lots and lots of cruises, have only asked to be moved once. That time we were assigned a table where ALL the others at the table were family, kids and all, and we were the "outsiders". The cruise lines do an outstanding job IMO of assigning tables, and table mates.

Ken
Old August 17th, 2006, 09:37 AM
Captain

In 26 cruises we've only asked to be moved once and it wasn't because we didn't care for the people. They had two children and the table was in a very awkward spot that made a full table difficult. We moved our party of four and it gave the others at the big table a break.

Don't worry about your table mates. Most people can behave themselves for an hour. And if it's a problem, just ask to be moved. No biggy.
Old August 18th, 2006, 07:22 AM
First Mate

On our last cruise we were at a table for 8. The age range was late
30s to late 40's. What was really interesting was the areas each
couple was from. (New York, Indiana, Colorado, Nevada) We
all got along really well and enjoyed hearing about the different
areas of the country.
The first thing we do after embarking on a cruise is check out
our table assignment. We do not want a booth! Also, on Carnival's
bigger ships, there are a few tables for two. If you want to be
changed to another table, just talk to the Maitre d. If you ask
early enough, a change can usually be made.
Happy Sailing...............
Old August 18th, 2006, 10:15 AM
Admiral

Thanks for the replies, I just wasn't sure how they matched people up, by age or just random. I know some younger people that are great to be around and some adults that I wouldn't want to spend 5 minutes with. Thanks again.

Need some cruise help?
Old August 18th, 2006, 11:41 AM
Admiral

Both of our Carnival cruises we were seated with people who lived near us and who had kids too. One family was from a few hours north of us, the other were actually friends of ours from our hometown, but we didn't realize that until the end of the cruise when we were talking about our dining experiences and I asked them what table they had and they were assigned the same table we had been. Unfortunately we found our server to be intolerable and just downright rude and unpleasant the first night so we requested a table change, while our friends just chose to eat in the buffet rather than getting dressed up. So I have to say there must be a method to their madness when they select your tablemates.
One thing that d/h and I discovered on our last cruise on NCL and the "freestyle dining" was that while its really nice to meet new people on our cruises, we really like having a table for just the four of us. Its not that we're antisocial or anything, its just that we love giving and receiving undivided attention to and from our kids. It also takes a little pressure off of us worrying if our tablemates are upset that they are sharing their dining experience with our two lovely children or us having to tolerate the bad behavior of an adult or child.
I must say the one time we requested a table change, the Maitre'D could not have been more helpful or accomodating.
Old August 19th, 2006, 07:41 PM
Passenger

I don't know how they pick the people but the first cruise me and my hubby went on for our honeymoon we were paired with another couple who was on their honeymoon also. I hope they do just as good of a job when we go again next year.