Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old August 17th, 2006, 01:11 PM
Beginner

Default Carnival Legend may 28,2006 12 hour delay

Has anybody made any progress getting any money back for our 12 hour delay on this cruise? I wrote a letter to Carnival and spoke with customer service, and they told me that the $50 was all that we would be getting. This is incredibly wrong and anybody planning to cruise with carnival should think twice!! We as a family lost over $6oo. on that cruise between lost time and having to pay for dinner. They didn't even provide water or sandwiches etc. and i had a 5 month pregnant daughter with me.
Any legal counsel would be appreciated also.
Sponsored Links
Old August 17th, 2006, 02:04 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Re: Carnival Legend may 28,2006 12 hour delay

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikmis
Has anybody made any progress getting any money back for our 12 hour delay on this cruise? I wrote a letter to Carnival and spoke with customer service, and they told me that the $50 was all that we would be getting. This is incredibly wrong and anybody planning to cruise with carnival should think twice!! We as a family lost over $6oo. on that cruise between lost time and having to pay for dinner. They didn't even provide water or sandwiches etc. and i had a 5 month pregnant daughter with me.
Were you on the cruise that got in 12 hours late to New York, or were you on the cruise that was 12 hours late LEAVING New York?
Old August 17th, 2006, 02:39 PM
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to Luanne Russo

Ladies and Gentlemen, especially those who have yet to cruise.

When you get your documents(docs) there will be a booklet attached that tells you what the cruise ship is responsible for, and what they are not. Please read this carefully. If you don't have common sense, please don't cruise. If when you get to the port, they tell you that the ship is not there, or has just arrived, please go and get yourself and those you love, something to eat.

To help this poster out a little, let me fill in the blank spots. The ship was late because there was a man over board. They stopped and went back to search for the person. They stayed only long enough to make sure that someone else was there to finish the search, then they cruised home as fast as they could.

As soon as the ship let those know on the ship what happened, one of the guests e-mailed a family member here to let them know, and the mother got on the boards and informed everyone that they were indeed late. We knew the night before. It was also on the news. Another good point. Please check the boards up to the time you leave for any updates on your cruise. You can also call the cruise lines to see if there are any changes.

The announcement was made to please delay coming to the terminal due to the delay. They also called as many people as possible.

As the op said, Carnival did not feed them in the parking lot. They explained that this was an unusual case, and they do not prepare for those who were not prepared.

I just hope that if I ever loose a family member or friend, or even someone I don't know, the cruise line will not worry about next set of guests, but will indeed look for that person.

Luanne

P.S. I have refrained from using the word "clueless" six times in this post.
Conquest 2006
Conquest 2007
Ecstasy 2008
Valor B2B 2008

Conquest Virtual Cruise Topic Link
Old August 17th, 2006, 06:16 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParrotRob
Quote:
Were you on the cruise that got in 12 hours late to New York, or were you on the cruise that was 12 hours late LEAVING New York?
We were on the cruise 12 hours late leaving NY
Old August 17th, 2006, 08:00 PM
Cruise Maniac

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
OK, so you were stuck in New York for an extra 12 hours. How, exactly, did that cost you $600?
Old August 17th, 2006, 08:07 PM
Admiral

What Luanne said...

And no cruiseline HAS to give anyone anything for embarking late or for missing a port, etc. (it's in your cruise contract).

How many family members were sailing? I don't know how you came up the the $600.00 amount? You apparently missed one, or maybe two meals onboard and, unless you ate at a very high priced restaurant instead, I can't see where how you came up with $600.00?

Any good attorney would run away from this ASAP!

"A truly happy person is one who can enjoy the scenery on a detour."

Carnival Inspiration 2002 Carnival Elation 2004
Grand Princess 2004 NCL Sun 2005
Sun Princess 2006 NCL Dream 2007
Caribbean Princess 2007 NCL Dawn 2008
Island Princess 2008 Island Princess 2009
Golden Princess 2009 Carnival Conquest 2010
Grand Princess 2010 Island Princess 2011
Grand Princess 2011 Carnival Magic 2012
Carnival Dream 2012 Island Princess 2013
Carnival Magic 2013 Carnival Legend 2014
Sea Princess 2014
Old August 17th, 2006, 08:33 PM
First Mate

Send a message via AIM to MrPete

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luanne Russo
I couldn't have said it any better, and would have gotten in trouble had I tried.
Past Cruises: Explorer of the Seas 2008 Explorer of the Seas 2007 Carnival Victory 2007 Explorer of the Seas 2006 Legend 2005 Miracle 2004 Disney Wonder 2004; Pride 2003 Legend 2002 Disney Wonder 2002 Destiny 2001 Victory 2000 Triumph 1999 Jubilee 1998 Imagination 1997 Imagination 1996 Fascination 1995 Ecstasy 1993 Fantasy 1990 Jubilee 1990 NCL Seaward 1989 Jubilee 1988
Old August 17th, 2006, 08:35 PM
Cruise Maniac

Oh come on now, this is America, home of the entitlement mentality! Surely someone OWES her for her time.
Old August 17th, 2006, 08:46 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to UConn1 Send a message via MSN to UConn1

I was on the Sensation when it cruised late out of Port Canaveral in March. The reason, failed Coast Guard inspection, not because they were looking for someone who fell overboard (which would have been easier to tolerate). I ALWAYS call Carnival before a cruise to verify nothing is wrong and sailing is on schedule (learned my lesson after Spirit fiasco of 2002). We got a $50 onboard credit, missed one meal, and got 25% off next cruise. I was out only one day(not night-and only a half day really) of my four night cruise which I had paid $106 per day on. The discount and the credit came to more than the $106. Good enough for me. Carnival didn't have to compensate me - as stated in contract - but they did. From what I understand, not a single lawsuit arose from the Sensation sailing (one of my best friends is a PVP) because of the contract you agreed to when you paid your deposit and probably because any ethical attorney would decline it. Yes, I know what you went through, I was stuck in terminal for 8 hours with 2500 other people (pregnant ones, diabetic ones, etc)and not allowed to leave. Ship happens, life is too short to stress over this - and I am in no position to want to feel like I am losing money. Anyone who feels that you should be compensated for something that a Company doesn't have control over, when you agreed to their written contract, has more serious stress issues in their life that they should look at.
JMHO.
Old August 17th, 2006, 11:28 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
OK, so you were stuck in New York for an extra 12 hours. How, exactly, did that cost you $600?
There are 8 of us in my family that we took along for that cruise. We had to provide dinner for all of us that first night in NYC, costing $140. I went to the customer service desk onboard, explaining that we lost a day from our cruise, meaning the first day, and the rep said "Sir, by our calculations, you only lost 12 hours." So since that was the response by the cruiseline, I figured out how many dollars per hour that our cruise cost us, minus the $50 per person that they reimbursed us plus the $140 meal equaling a little over $6oo.
This was an excellent vacation for my family. We did have to save for almost 2 years to bring our kids with us(probably the last vacation that [b]WE could provide for our family, and it will most likely take us 2 more years to pay it off. We are not rich by any means, so every penny counts.
Old August 17th, 2006, 11:36 PM
Beginner

Quote:

When you get your documents(docs) there will be a booklet attached that tells you what the cruise ship is responsible for, and what they are not. Please read this carefully. If you don't have common sense, please don't cruise. If when you get to the port, they tell you that the ship is not there, or has just arrived, please go and get yourself and those you love, something to eat.

To help this poster out a little, let me fill in the blank spots. The ship was late because there was a man over board. They stopped and went back to search for the person. They stayed only long enough to make sure that someone else was there to finish the search, then they cruised home as fast as they could.

As soon as the ship let those know on the ship what happened, one of the guests e-mailed a family member here to let them know, and the mother got on the boards and informed everyone that they were indeed late. We knew the night before. It was also on the news. Another good point. Please check the boards up to the time you leave for any updates on your cruise. You can also call the cruise lines to see if there are any changes.

The announcement was made to please delay coming to the terminal due to the delay. They also called as many people as possible.

As the op said, Carnival did not feed them in the parking lot. They explained that this was an unusual case, and they do not prepare for those who were not prepared.

I just hope that if I ever loose a family member or friend, or even someone I don't know, the cruise line will not worry about next set of guests, but will indeed look for that person.

Luanne

P.S. I have refrained from using the word "clueless" six times in this post.
1st of all,the man overboard comitted suicide. Second, I appreciate the maritime laws and the concern of carnival for people. But as I stated above, this was an expensive venture, and it was not our fault that a "CLUELESS" person decided to jump to their death. WE were not in a parking lot, but in carnivals waiting warehouse for over 8 hours.
They can worry about whomever they choose, as long as they also worry about the next set of guests!
Old August 18th, 2006, 08:56 AM
First Mate

I would love to know had one of your 8 been the one jumping overboard, how that would make you feel, and how that would make any line libel for their (your) losses.

Or, should the ship just plowed ahead, making sure all the new embarking passenger's stomachs were full.

I am ill at this post.
Past Cruises: Explorer of the Seas 2008 Explorer of the Seas 2007 Carnival Victory 2007 Explorer of the Seas 2006 Legend 2005 Miracle 2004 Disney Wonder 2004; Pride 2003 Legend 2002 Disney Wonder 2002 Destiny 2001 Victory 2000 Triumph 1999 Jubilee 1998 Imagination 1997 Imagination 1996 Fascination 1995 Ecstasy 1993 Fantasy 1990 Jubilee 1990 NCL Seaward 1989 Jubilee 1988
Old August 18th, 2006, 08:59 AM
Cruise Maniac

So let's see, it didn't actually COST you $600 as you claim. It actually only COST you $140. And you got $50x8 in credit from the cruise line. So by MY calculation, you were OVERcompensated by $260.

And what time did you actually leave New York? Reports say the ship pulled out at 3am, that's only ELEVEN hours late, not 12. Yeah, it's a nit, but you're the one picking them.

Try reading the cruise contract, CCL isn't responsible for things out of their control, whether it inconveniences you or not.

By your logic, my Victory cruise wasn't supposed to return to New York until 8am according to the schedule. We actually got in early, around 5am. We were denied 3 hours of our cruise, that's one eighth of a day times two people, so Carnival owes us $110.00. When you find your lawyer, let me know, I'm going after my share.
Old August 18th, 2006, 09:05 AM
Admiral

Most experienced cruisers know to budget extra funds for what my mother calls the "just in case crap happens folder"(well crap was not the phrase she used but this is a family board (VBG), which I have learned to mean about 10% of the total cost of your cruise. This way if something happens like what the poster described, you can cover it and not get all that stressed out ...The good news is that probably 95% of cruise vacations go off without a hitch so your 10% reserve you can use as a deposit for your next cruise

In light of the world we live in today, the term "I fly in the day of my cruise" will be a term of the past, because now people have to check more bags and put more stuff in the check bags, so you can't afford not to have your bags arrive with you...this will drive up your pre cruise expense budget

There is some personal responsiblity that we all have to bear...in light of the fact that Carnival told everyone what happen, and made a gesture that they didn't have to do, in my mind, negates any sympathy for the original post
Old August 18th, 2006, 09:34 AM
Admiral

technically according to your cruise contract, Carnival doesn't have to give you anything. They compensate because its good for customer relations. $50.00 per person is more than enough to grab a cab and get a good meal, its not like you were being held hostage in the terminal.
By maritime law, all vessels are obligated to assist in any type of rescue effort, doesn't matter what the circumstances.
Old August 18th, 2006, 10:25 AM
Admiral

I am still troubled by this post, and I have gone back and re-read all the posts including the original.

Did all of you know that there is a web site for people who sue or plan to sue the cruise lines. In order to register, you have to indicate your lawyers name and or put that you don't have one yet.

I don't know what else to say about the OP. (Original Poster) It is sad that a man jumped or fell. It is sad that the ship was delayed.

It is also sad that the first post the op did was to complain about Carnival, and to try to talk us into not traveling with them anymore. For someone reading that who has never cruised before, it might actually work, and that would be a shame.

Now questions for the OP Did you have a good cruise? Would you please give us a review of your trip? Did your family enjoy themselves? Have you planned another cruise? Your daughter was 5 months pregnant then, so she should be about 8 months now. Do you know if it's a boy or a girl?

There is also another misconception here that I want to reassure the newbie's that might be reading. OP said that they were stuck in a warehouse during all this time. All ports started out as warehouses at one time or another, and they probably were in one, but it is against the law to hold someone against their will. You can leave and come back at will. You just have to be sure that you are back in time, before the ship leaves. Since this OP was without a ship for 12 hours, that means when they got to the port, they didn't have a ship. No ship= no getting off with the old, and no getting on with the new. All that takes time. OP did the cruise line make an announcement that the ship was late, and that if people wanted to go and get things to eat, they could? Others on this cruise heard it, and acted on it. Also, even the smallest ship can not hide behind the warehouse, and block your view of it.

So boys and girls we have learned a few lessons today, so let's review.

1. Stay tuned to the boards.

2. Never cruise unless you have a plan B

3. Never travel if you are not able to provide at least a meal

4.Never get out of the taxi, if your ship is not in port.

Now you are all excused. You may go on the play ground, but be careful. We don't want any of you suing.

Luanne
Conquest 2006
Conquest 2007
Ecstasy 2008
Valor B2B 2008

Old August 18th, 2006, 10:41 AM
First Mate

Also missing from all this was Carnival s attempt to get the word out NOT to get to the pier until at least 8 PM as the ship was coming in late.

It was also all over the boards.
Old August 18th, 2006, 10:17 PM
Passenger

Send a message via AIM to inspiration439

I was 2 cruises after the "commiting suicide" cruise, and the people who had the 12 hour delay were coming off the ship, seemed just FINE! I don't think that 20 bucks that it costed you is a biggie.
Old August 20th, 2006, 06:33 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPeteLI
I would love to know had one of your 8 been the one jumping overboard, how that would make you feel, and how that would make any line libel for their (your) losses.

Or, should the ship just plowed ahead, making sure all the new embarking passenger's stomachs were full.

I am ill at this post.
I would feel horrible. I would also feel horrible for ALL the peoples lives that it had affected including the passengers who followed. I never questioned the cruislines integrity or goodwill, I wanted redemption for myloss. Maybe cruislines should make glass walls so idiots don't jump to their deaths from their balcony and cost them many $$. The ship staying at sea has nothing to do with the fact that one of the other 10,000 employees their could have provided at least water to the people waiting.
Everyone is so caring and understanding until it is their time and money that has beentaken.
Old August 20th, 2006, 06:34 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPeteLI

I am ill at this post.
I would feel horrible. I would also feel horrible for ALL the peoples lives that it had affected including the passengers who followed. I never questioned the cruislines integrity or goodwill, I wanted redemption for myloss. Maybe cruislines should make glass walls so idiots don't jump to their deaths from their balcony and cost them many $$. The ship staying at sea has nothing to do with the fact that one of the other 10,000 employees their could have provided at least water to the people waiting.
Everyone is so caring and understanding until it is their time and money that has been taken.
Old August 20th, 2006, 06:38 PM
Admiral

You could have left to get water and food.

You still haven't told us if you had a good time.

Luanne
Conquest 2006
Conquest 2007
Ecstasy 2008
Valor B2B 2008

Old August 20th, 2006, 08:51 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Cassandra

These "lawsuit" happy people need a wakeup call. And maybe a slap on the head.

To give another view....everyone I'm sure heard about Amtrak's delay a few months ago from Miami - NY run which was delayed 12 hours back to NYC. One woman phoned in & whined & complained to the media & made an idiot of herself. It was live on TV, Radio, Internet, etc. So called "big news" at the time. Big deal was more like it.

Our train on the same route a few months later going through Georgia at about 2:30am through some fog, we ran smack into a pine tree at 60mph that had overturned during the night due to a mini-twister from a T-storm in the area earlier.
The engineer jumped back instinctively & of course when you take your hand off the controls, the dead-man's switch kicks in automatically. Train came to a halt, crew going towards the engine & lots of squawking on the walki-talki's.

Long story short - our engine was badly damaged on the left side which was smashed in. Had to be towed by a CSX engine to DC. The handrails on 4 cars were torn off. Had the pine tree been on the ground - we would have derailed & god knows in what condition we would have been in.

We were 17 hours behind schedule by the time we got back to NYC. And do you know? Not one person contacted the Media or sued Amtrak.
So stop your whining about "only" getting $50. You don't have a leg to stand on & frankly you sound like you are more interested in monetary compensation than just dealing with the situation. It was what it was. The ship didn't sink, you didn't die. You were just merely inconvienced & that doesn't stand in a court of law.

It's not the trip - its the Adventure!
Old September 2nd, 2006, 09:15 AM
Beginner

There is something very wrong with a society that has lost compassion for their fellow man/woman, and expects to be compensated for someone elses loss....

Sure you were a little inconvenienced...think of the poor widow and her young children. Why should you profit by their loss?

Carnival did what they were morally and legally, compelled to do, as they were neither joint nor severably responsible for the tragedy which delayed your cruise.

...besides if you weren't scheduled to go on the cruise, you would have still had to feed and provide shelter for your family!

I think you've been watching one too many TV judge shows, or have read one too many tabloid newspapers.
Old September 2nd, 2006, 11:14 AM
Passenger

I feel very sick to know what kind of a world I am about to bring a brand new life into. A world where people have lost all sense of compasion and morality is a sick world indeed. When the man was discovered missing, I am pretty sure the cruise lines did not know he commited suicide, so morally it was their responsiblity to look for him until a better equiped search and rescue unit could arrive on the scene. If the cruise lines had just trudged along to make a few pig-headed and morally deficient people waiting to get on happy(and not Sue Happy), I would never sail with Carnival again. And I fully believe that most on this forum would agree with me. If you want to sue someone, go jay-walking and get hit by a car, I hear that works well.
Old September 3rd, 2006, 03:52 AM
Passenger

I am still trying to figure out how you feed eight people dinner in NYC for 140 dollars.
Liberty
Old September 3rd, 2006, 09:43 AM
Beginner

Perhaps Mc D's, if they didn't upsize
Old September 4th, 2006, 08:37 AM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittykkray
I am still trying to figure out how you feed eight people dinner in NYC for 140 dollars.
You can do it since there are a ton of restaurants in NY that are small and intimate and cheap and much better than fast food places. Plus if you are willing to try other ethnic groups you can very easily feed a 8 eg indian, vietnimese, chinese. (Plus if you leave off liquor that bill is really cheap)

However he most likely went to MickyDs.

But to the orginal posting. You want to sue!!! For what exactly. Mental pain and anguish because your cruise was delayed? Get a grip things happen when you travel. If I sued everytime there was a delay while traveling I couldn't work since all I would do is be in court. You were more than compensated with the $50 credit per person. Whether the person jumped, was pushed or slipped and fell overboard Carnival had a moral (and most likely legal) obligation to stop and look for the passenger and/or ensure a search was being conducted
Old September 4th, 2006, 10:46 AM
Cruise Maniac

mikmis, As you have probably figured out by now, this is not the board to bring these type of questions and statements. We are a group of people that love Carnival Cruise Lines. We not only stand behind their position but applaud it as well. You may get more sympathy over on the Gripes board, although I doubt it.

Carnival Conquest Oct. 2006
Carnival Conquest Nov. 2005
Old September 4th, 2006, 11:04 AM
Admiral

I agree that we are Carnival lovers, but if Carnival had done something wrong, I would not have stood up for them. I have gone over what happened, from not only the poster but from research, and I can find no fault of Carnival. Anytime you travel you must be prepared for the unexpected. It does not matter if it is a land trip, or a cruise. I am also wondering about the poster only doing this one post.

Luanne
Conquest 2006
Conquest 2007
Ecstasy 2008
Valor B2B 2008

Old September 4th, 2006, 01:28 PM
Passenger

Quote:
I agree that we are Carnival lovers, but if Carnival had done something wrong, I would not have stood up for them. I have gone over what happened, from not only the poster but from research, and I can find no fault of Carnival. Anytime you travel you must be prepared for the unexpected. It does not matter if it is a land trip, or a cruise. I am also wondering about the poster only doing this one post.

Luanne
Me too!
Liberty