Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old August 17th, 2006, 10:45 PM
Passenger

Default Travel time buffer: is this enough?

Hi,

I'm going to be flying in to Miami and taking a cruise next year. I was wondering how much time I should buffer for traveling and getting from lace to place.

The only flight that is available the day of departure and returning has the following times compared to the cruise departure and return.

11:50a Arrive at MIA
04:00p Depart on cruise
08:00a Return from cruise
12:05p Departure flight from MIA

Do you think that should give me a big enough buffer for getting to and from the airport and dock? It is a 9 mile drive (by taxi most likely, unless someone knows that there is a shuttle).

Thanks for any thoughts!
Sponsored Links
Old August 17th, 2006, 10:53 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to UConn1 Send a message via MSN to UConn1

The 11:50 am arrival will give you plenty of time, provided you have no delays. However, I am a firm believer in flying in the day prior. You never know what sort of flight delays could occur - I would rather be in a hotel in my city of embarkation when I wake up the morning of a cruise as opposed to far away by plane.

As far as your return flight, you should be OK provided security has eased up by then, which it probably will.

Jodi
Old August 17th, 2006, 11:00 PM
Passenger

I was a bit uneasy about doing it all in one day and I just looked and I can get a non stop flight both ways (not the case with my previous selection) for $20 cheaper.

Thanks for the nudge and the quick reply! I just want to get all this booking overwith.
Old August 17th, 2006, 11:44 PM
Admiral

I'd be leary of that arrival time only because if for some reason your flight gets delayed coming into miami. I'd arrive the night before or earlier in the morning if I were you!
Old August 18th, 2006, 12:28 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to cherylroy

You should be fine both ways - IF there are no delays! I learned the hard way to fly in the day before as we almost missed the ship due to flight delays on our Alaska cruise. So, my motto is for now on -- fly in the day before! Better safe than sorry! And ...LESS stress! And your rested!!
Old August 18th, 2006, 10:10 AM
Admiral

i totally agree with the others, fly in the day before if you can. It is so much easier and less stressful, if something goes awry you have plenty of time to make other arrangements. Otherwise you should be ok on both ends.
Old August 18th, 2006, 06:23 PM
Beginner

I'm going on my first cruise in 29 days (Carnival Triumph, 9/16)!! I originally planned to fly in that morning, landing about the same time, also at MIA. Then my husband flew from Michigan to Oregon in July. His flight there and back were terribly delayed and I was so stressed from the thought of our cruise flight being delayed, I paid the money to change my ticket to fly the night before.

Even without delay, I was afraid that I'd be so stressed from that morning, worrying about it, that it would start the trip out badly.

Becki
Old August 18th, 2006, 06:57 PM
Captain

We are driving to Jacksonville for the Celebration (about a 12 hour drive)... We were going to leave early & get there before 2 PM on Sat..... I knew I would have to pay terminal parking as well as the stress of getting there (old Camry).... So we decided to book a hotel that offered FREE cruise parking as well as FREE shuttle service to the cruise terminal (we also get a FREE breakfast)..... Cost us an extra $60.00 for the hotel considering the free parking..... Also nice to have a shuttle drop you off, less stress.....

Conquest .... Nov /03 (New Orleans)
Conquest .... Dec /05 (Galveston)
Celebration.. Sept /06 (Jacksonville)
Fantasy....... Dec/07 (New Orleans)
Splendor...... Nov. 29th, 2009

Splendor...... Nov. 28th, 2010 (booked)
Old August 23rd, 2006, 01:57 PM
First Mate

Default Find a nice beach hotel for the previous day.

We've taken a couple of cruises out of Miami and found there are many really nice beach front hotels that make arriving the day before an adventure of its own. We taxied from the airport to a north beach hotel then to the peir the next day. Gets all of the travel worries out of the way and spend a great day at the beach!
Old August 23rd, 2006, 04:23 PM
Captain

Send a message via AIM to David West Send a message via Yahoo to David West

As most have said, fly in the day before. Shop around on other airline websites, or other travel related websites for deals and ect.

The wife and I flew into MIA a day earily, in May for our cruise onboard the Valor.. We stayed at the Downtown Holiday Inn. Very nice motel. The Board Walk is just across the street from the Motel. Lots of nice places to eat and hang out at.
To answer your question, yes, " IF " all goes well and on time ! And thats a big if I would do some more research and fly in a day early. Your on vacation, and you don't need to add stress, if you don't have too.

Outbound (Departing )Flight- After our expierance last May with a 12.15 flight , NOWAY BUT... Yes you can make it, ( If all goes perfectly ) If it hadn't been for a nice lady for American Airlines asking questions, NO, we would've missed that flight big time.

You got several flights coming in, and then you've got all those other passengers tring to fly out, thats coming off of all those cruiseships. Sometimes 2 or more that are in port with you.
That equals one big mess ! You've got 1000's on 1000's tring to leave and board flights, and you've got 1000's on 1000's coming in. Its like standing room only

Make a later flight out. Say around 2 - 3 o'clock . That should work better.
I'm going to fly out the next morning on our next cruise.

Good Luck and Happy Sailing;
David
P.S.
Try this link to help you in your search;
www.sidestep.com
Legend May 2009
Liberty - Aug.23 2008
Fantasy - Sept.22 2007
Fantasy - Sept.27 2007 (B 2 B )
Holiday- Sept.- 2006
Valor- May - 2006
Conquest- August- 2003
Inspiration-Sept.-2001
Enchanted Isle- Sept.- 1999
Old August 23rd, 2006, 06:41 PM
BEACH DOUG

Quote:
Originally Posted by LisaK
i totally agree with the others, fly in the day before if you can. It is so much easier and less stressful, if something goes awry you have plenty of time to make other arrangements. Otherwise you should be ok on both ends.
I agree. It can also make your hotel night like an extra port of call.
Old August 23rd, 2006, 11:30 PM
Passenger

We went ahead and made the flight for the day before. We didn't want to take any chances.
Old August 24th, 2006, 11:44 AM
Admiral

smart move
Old August 24th, 2006, 04:56 PM
Captain

Send a message via AIM to David West Send a message via Yahoo to David West

Thats good news ! I would also change your outbound flight as well. Say around 1 or 2 pm. If not, get off that ship asap and get a cab back to the airport and get checked in.

Happy Sailing;
David
Legend May 2009
Liberty - Aug.23 2008
Fantasy - Sept.22 2007
Fantasy - Sept.27 2007 (B 2 B )
Holiday- Sept.- 2006
Valor- May - 2006
Conquest- August- 2003
Inspiration-Sept.-2001
Enchanted Isle- Sept.- 1999