Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old August 22nd, 2006, 06:34 AM
Cruise Maniac

Default Should I bring my laptop???

Should I bring my laptop, or use the ones on board??? Is it a huge diff in price to bring your own?? Well be on the Glory in Jan. Thanks Lynn
[img]http://www.cruisemates.com/countdown.php?month=11&year=2011&day=30&hour=16:00[img]Carnaval Freedom
Sponsored Links
Old August 22nd, 2006, 07:36 AM
Admiral

You pay the same price to connect whether you bring your own or not. I know on some of the ships, you can connect in your cabin using your laptop. I'm not sure about the Glory. I've heard some great suggestions from other people here. Since connection time is expensive. Write up all of your emails ahead of time on your laptop so when you get online, you just copy paste and send. That way your not composing and spending all that money at the same time.

Life is too short to let the ship of your dreams sail without you.

Carnival Destiny Feb. 2006
Carnival Fascination Feb. 2007
Royal Caribbean Grandeur of the Seas Feb. 2008 The DTW & MsBJ tour
Carnival Valor MsBJ and Dina Feb. 2009
Carnival Glory MsBJ and Dina Feb. 2010
Carnival Dream MsBJ and Dina Feb. 2011
Old August 22nd, 2006, 04:21 PM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via Yahoo to Eric

I took mine on our last cruise and found that the only reason I used it was to offload video/pictures from the cameras. Carnival has several days that they offer free "10 min. online" to sell their internet packages. We use this time to print our boarding passes for the return flight.
Old August 22nd, 2006, 07:20 PM
Passenger

Send a message via MSN to Aussie

No. what a waste. We took ours on the Liberty thinking that we could email our children. It is so expensive. We were under the impression we could use it for free from our cabins. Don't waste your time carrying it around.
Old August 22nd, 2006, 08:47 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to UConn1 Send a message via MSN to UConn1

I had friends who took theirs in March and wasted most of their minutes on the slow connections. However, I used the ones onboard and spent less than 3 minutes verifying my direct deposit was applied to account. This included the time needed to log on with new account. I found the connections to be very fast. There are certain things the shipboard computers don't allow you to do and I think one of them is send attachements....so if picture sending is your goal, you may want to take the laptop, but be aware it can be very expensive.

Jodi
Old August 22nd, 2006, 09:41 PM
Cruise Maniac

No, all extras onboard are expensive. If you use the Internet, you will pay dearly!!!
Old August 23rd, 2006, 04:14 PM
Passenger

I plan on bringing my laptop on the Liberty for a couple of reasons.

(1) It plays DVDs and it gives the kids something to watch at night.

(2) I heard the Liberty WIFI is pretty good over the entire ship.

I hope somebody confirms (2) or tells me I'm wrong. If the WIFI on the ship isn't great in the rooms, I won't be paying the $50 for the 100 minutes.
Old August 23rd, 2006, 05:48 PM
Cruise Maniac

Thanks everyone for your input, I may bring it, if the places we stay at after the cruise have free internet. Kids, yes if I was traveling with little ones I would bring it for sure for the movie's and off line games. If I check and the Glory has hookup in the room I may bring it or just use the ones on board as there not to bad. It may not be worth the hassel bring ing it along and my DH would love to see me without it in front of me!!! Ha Ha Thanks again!!!
[img]http://www.cruisemates.com/countdown.php?month=11&year=2011&day=30&hour=16:00[img]Carnaval Freedom
Old August 24th, 2006, 03:54 PM
First Mate

I always take a laptop on a cruise for the following reasons:

1) To bring in and edit/organize my digital photos, also those from my wife and son's cameras.

2) To bring in and edit any movies I've recorded.

3) To use to write my journal, which later turns into my web pages for that cruise.

4) To watch DVDs or other movies in those occasional boring moments.

5) Finally, for email and other internet stuff...

However, don't buy internet minutes from the ship - it's too expensive for the speed you don't get. Instead, take the laptop ashore in any port...you can find an internet cafe within a 5 minute walk and pay less than $5 for an hour or so. And many internet cafes also serve cold cerveza!

Dana
Old August 25th, 2006, 04:18 PM
Captain

What a great idea Diane, How do you find the cafe's? We are going to Mexico, PV, Cabo and Matz.
ROMANS 8:28

VIKING SERENADE 1993
HOLIDAY 1995
HOLIDAY 1997
HOLIDAY 1998
ECTASY 1999
ELATION 2000
STAR PRINCESS 2002
SPIRIT 2003
NCL STAR 2004
PRIDE 2005
PRIDE 2006
PARADISE 2007
MS OOSTERDAM 2008
SPLENDOR 5/2010

Carnival Splendor
Old August 27th, 2006, 12:34 PM
Admiral

I take my laptop everywhere I go...especially on the ship....dvd watching whenever,and camera to laptop transfers.The ship repeats the same movies over,and over on the television,and besides my ten year old controls the remote in the room.....he can find cartoons anywhere.
Old August 27th, 2006, 02:36 PM
Cruise Maniac

I wish I could bring a laptop with me. Unfortunately my career is in the Internet business so laptops and computers are a way of life. "DW" would stand for "Divorced Wife" if I tried to bring one on vacation.

Carnival Conquest Oct. 2006
Carnival Conquest Nov. 2005
Old August 28th, 2006, 12:20 PM
First Mate

The best way to find an internet cafe is to ask your room steward, or almost any other personnel on the ship...they tend to know these things as they use them to stay in touch with their families.

In Puerto Vallarta, there are some small shops right next to the dock - there was one there last time I was there... Not sure about the other ports but rest assured there will be some.

Dana
Old August 29th, 2006, 09:04 PM
Passenger

I took my laptop on the Liberty and used it every day. I sent pictures to my kids and checked my email. I thought the package they sold was very reasonable and loved being able to connect wi-fi from our room. My husband was able to do some research for a talk he had to give when we got home. I know that it helped him to relax and not worry about work. We just got off the Oosterdam and did not have wi-fi in the room. I bought some time, but I had to go to a public room to use it. I would probably not take my laptop on a ship without wi-fi in the room. The Oo has dvd players in most of the rooms so I wouldn't need it for movies. I will be going on the Westerdam soon and still have not heard if they have wi-fi in the staterooms. If they don't I will just use the shipboard computers to check email.
Liberty