Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old August 24th, 2006, 04:12 PM
Passenger

Default Passport processing takes 7 weeks now

We are US citizens going on the Vancouver to Hawaii Carnival Spirit cruise on September 20. Very excited. We applied for our passports at the Post Office on August 7. A status check on the US passport website indicates that our passports won't arrive until around September 24. Very annoying. We have recent copies of our birth certificates (with raised seals) and driver licenses that should work as alternatives. A couple years ago I got through customs and immigration just fine without a passport at the Winnipeg airport. Do you think Vancouver will be any different? Should we push to get our passports expedited for just this one border crossing? It seems like it would be a waste of money. Has anybody here had trouble with just having a birth certificate and driver's license at the Vancouver airport?
Sponsored Links
Old August 24th, 2006, 04:17 PM
BEACH DOUG

I think you should be okay with a birth certificate and drivers license. The new passport laws aren't in effect until January, and I'm not even sure if the new laws pertain to travel to and from Canadia. I believe that's another year or two away. That's just my humble opinion though, not advice!
Old August 24th, 2006, 06:41 PM
Admiral

Hi aaron,

I think you'll be fine with the raised seal birth certificates and your DL's until January. I wouldn't be at all surprised if you got your passports before you sail. I think they say eight weeks just to cover their b***s !

If I understand correctly, the problem wouldn't be getting out of the US, but getting back in !

Have a wonderful cruise!

"A truly happy person is one who can enjoy the scenery on a detour."

Carnival Inspiration 2002 Carnival Elation 2004
Grand Princess 2004 NCL Sun 2005
Sun Princess 2006 NCL Dream 2007
Caribbean Princess 2007 NCL Dawn 2008
Island Princess 2008 Island Princess 2009
Golden Princess 2009 Carnival Conquest 2010
Grand Princess 2010 Island Princess 2011
Grand Princess 2011 Carnival Magic 2012
Carnival Dream 2012 Island Princess 2013
Carnival Magic 2013 Carnival Legend 2014
Sea Princess 2014
Old August 25th, 2006, 09:19 AM
First Mate

I just got mine. 29 days from sending it off.
Old August 25th, 2006, 10:24 AM
Passenger

I received mine 3 weeks to the day that I applied.
Old August 25th, 2006, 12:14 PM
Cruise Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEACH DOUG
I think you should be okay with a birth certificate and drivers license. The new passport laws aren't in effect until January, and I'm not even sure if they cover travel into Canada. That's just my humble opinion though, not advice!
Doug's right in that you should be ok. The new passport regs take effect, like he said, in January and they most definately DO cover travel into and out of Canada by AIR or SEA. Land crossings don't require a passport until Jan 2008.
Old August 25th, 2006, 12:16 PM
Admiral

We take our passports over to canada even via land now. It just makes things easier.

Life is too short to let the ship of your dreams sail without you.

Carnival Destiny Feb. 2006
Carnival Fascination Feb. 2007
Royal Caribbean Grandeur of the Seas Feb. 2008 The DTW & MsBJ tour
Carnival Valor MsBJ and Dina Feb. 2009
Carnival Glory MsBJ and Dina Feb. 2010
Carnival Dream MsBJ and Dina Feb. 2011
Old August 25th, 2006, 12:22 PM
Admiral

Once you get one, don't leave home without it.

We use our passports for ID for everything from travel to buying a house. It is the best form of ID that you can have.

SS Norway (12 times) '85 - '97; Radiance OS 06/01; Island Princess 11/04, Grand Princess 11/04/05, Golden Princess 7/21/06, Golden Princess 2/24/07, Explorer of the Seas 12/23/07, Island Princess 11/15/08
Old August 26th, 2006, 08:23 AM
First Mate

We just got ours a couple of weeks ago.
When we went, they told us the waiting time was now up to 8 weeks.
(previously they had been telling people 6 weeks)
My In-Laws got their passports in February for a trip to Germany.
Were told it would take up to 6 weeks to arrive and it took less than 3 weeks back then.
My Wife and I went to the same Post office in May and were told it was taking longer with more than double the applications being filed every week, so to expect up to 8 weeks.
Ours took 6 weeks and 1 day to arrive.
So it has slowed down some, due to increased demand, but it is still decently fast.

Bill
Old August 27th, 2006, 08:37 AM
Passenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish Shark

We use our passports for ID for everything from travel to buying a house. It is the best form of ID that you can have.
Unless you don't want to be found. The new passports are supposed to have a computer chip installed in them. Just another way for the government to monitor us american citizens. I believe they have this backwards. Any foreigner entering the USA should be required to always carry a computerized chip card around to keep an eye on them.
Old August 27th, 2006, 09:58 PM
First Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by POPPA_DADDYO
Quote:

Unless you don't want to be found. The new passports are supposed to have a computer chip installed in them. Just another way for the government to monitor us american citizens. I believe they have this backwards. Any foreigner entering the USA should be required to always carry a computerized chip card around to keep an eye on them.
I will never understand, if people aren't doing anything illegal, why would they be paranoid if you are being followed or listened to. (I used to live 5 miles from Ft.Mead and my neighbor worked for the NSA there.....)
I pity the poor bastard tracking my boring phone calls and weekly trips to the grocery store and work.
At least he can be jealous watching me cruise the Carribean.

Bill
Old August 27th, 2006, 11:32 PM
Passenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by bguppies
Quote:
Quote:

I will never understand, if people aren't doing anything illegal, why would they be paranoid if you are being followed or listened to. (I used to live 5 miles from Ft.Mead and my neighbor worked for the NSA there.....)
I pity the poor bastard tracking my boring phone calls and weekly trips to the grocery store and work.
At least he can be jealous watching me cruise the Carribean.

Bill
When I go parking with the ole lady, I want my privacy!
Old August 28th, 2006, 06:01 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

A friend of mine recently applied for one and it took a little over 4 weeks, kind of suprised me, so you never know, you could see it.

Message Boards Moderator
Old August 28th, 2006, 07:17 AM
First Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by "POPPA_DADDYO
When I go parking with the ole lady, I want my privacy!
I've never been shy.
I don't mind an audience.
Like I said, let them be jealous.

Bill
Old August 28th, 2006, 01:25 PM
Passenger

Oops, I miscounted the number of weeks between 8/07/06 (the date I applied for a passport) and 9/24/06 (the date that the US passport online status check tool shows for my passport to arrive). It's adds up to 7 weeks, not 8 weeks. Hence, I changed the title of this thread from "Passport Processing time takes 8 weeks now" to "Passport Processing time takes 7 weeks now."

Has anybody else here used that online status check tool here (alt+w). If so, how accurate was it in estimating a date for when your passport arrives?
Old August 28th, 2006, 10:47 PM
First Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaron
Has anybody else here used that online status check tool here (alt+w). If so, how accurate was it in estimating a date for when your passport arrives?
I did when we were waiting for ours and it was right on.
(It said it would arrive the week of July 17th and we got it on July 18th)

Bill
Old August 29th, 2006, 05:15 PM
Beginner

Hello from farmers wife. My daughter and I sent for our passports on august 6 and received them August 28. They told us from 4 to 6 weeks.
Old August 29th, 2006, 05:18 PM
BEACH DOUG

Quote:
I believe they have this backwards. Any foreigner entering the USA should be required to always carry a computerized chip card around to keep an eye on them.
For what? To make sure they don't smoke within a mile of a citizen?
Old August 29th, 2006, 05:24 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to dfhawk60 Send a message via Yahoo to dfhawk60 Send a message via Skype™ to dfhawk60

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEACH DOUG
Quote:
I believe they have this backwards. Any foreigner entering the USA should be required to always carry a computerized chip card around to keep an eye on them.
For what? To make sure they don't smoke within a mile of a citizen?

ROFLMAO!!!!
RCCL Navagitor of the Seas - Nov 26, 2005 (W.Caribbean) | Carnival Glory - April 15, 2006 (E.Caribbean) | Carnival Victory - Aug 21, 2006 (Canada) | Carnival Glory - July 28, 2007 (W.Caribbean) | Carnival Fascination - Aug 4, 2008 West Caribbean | HAL Eruodam - April 11, 2009 East Caribbean | Carnival Fredom - Aug 9, 2009 | Carnival Pride Feb 20,2011 (Bahamas) | NCL PrideOfAmerica April 16,2011 (Hawaii)
Old August 29th, 2006, 05:35 PM
Passenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by farmers wife
Hello from farmers wife. My daughter and I sent for our passports on august 6 and received them August 28. They told us from 4 to 6 weeks.
So you just opted for regular processing, not expedited? And did you apply at a local facility like a post office? That's pretty fast if it wasn't expedited. Maybe they are not processing as many applications with summer travel starting to wind down.
Old August 30th, 2006, 02:08 AM
Passenger

Don't even worry about it.... I am from the Vancouver area and you will get through just as fast with just your DL and BC

Tara
Old August 30th, 2006, 02:01 PM
Beginner

Hello Aaron from farmers wife. We sent for our passports with our local court house. They had the necessary forms and we had 2 small pictures made at a local print shop while we waited. How long has it been now since you sent for yours?
Old August 30th, 2006, 02:15 PM
Beginner

Aaron, Re-Read your note. We did regular processing. Farmers Wife.
Old August 30th, 2006, 02:43 PM
Passenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by farmers wife
Hello Aaron from farmers wife. We sent for our passports with our local court house. They had the necessary forms and we had 2 small pictures made at a local print shop while we waited. How long has it been now since you sent for yours?
We applied for ours the day after you said you did. It will be interesting to compare our waiting time to yours once we recieve them.
Old September 15th, 2006, 09:04 PM
Passenger

Default Update on our passport processing time

Make that 5 weeks and four days to be exact. Our passports just came today.