Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old September 1st, 2006, 11:52 PM
Beginner

Default NEED HELP DECIDING BTWEEN TWO BELIZE EXCURSIONS!!

Hi folks. My wife and I are planning to take a our first cruise in a few months. We have pretty much decided on everything except for the port of Belize. We have that narrowed down to either the "LAND ROVER AND CAVE EXPEDITION." or the "CAVE TUBING AND RAIN FOREST EXPLORATION."
We were leaning more towards the land rover expedition but we would REALLY like to be sure about this. Could anyone that has been on either or both expeditions PLEASE give us your opinions? We would appreciate it. Thank's so much for giving me your time.
Sponsored Links
Old September 2nd, 2006, 03:46 AM
Admiral

I haven't done eather but I can tell you Belize is one of the few places on Earth I hear that offers Cave Tubing. My friends did this excursion while I snokled with stingrays at Shark/ray alley. I now wish I had done the cave tubing and plan to if I return. Everyone raved about it. Hope this helps.
Carnival Pride October 2006 (Mexican Rivera)
Carnival Legend 2007 (Western Caribbean)
Carnival Glory 2009 Western Caribbean
Carnival Liberty 2011 Eastern Caribbean
Norwegian Spirit 2011 Western Caribbean
Carnival Miracle 2012 Southern Caribbean
Carnival Breeze 2013 Exotic Eastern Caribbean
Carnival Valor 2014 Southern Caribbean
Old September 2nd, 2006, 05:12 PM
First Mate

100% --- do the cave tubing.

Carnival - Spirit: Alaska (August 8, 2007)
Carnival - Miracle: Exotic Western Caribbean (April 9, 2006)
Royal Caribbean - Explorer of the Seas: Eastern Caribbean (January 2005)
Old September 2nd, 2006, 11:20 PM
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to Luanne Russo

I agree with the cave tubing. I have not been there yet, but have read many reviews.

Luanne
Conquest 2006
Conquest 2007
Ecstasy 2008
Valor B2B 2008

Conquest Virtual Cruise Topic Link
Old September 3rd, 2006, 12:19 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to cherylroy

I have done cave tubing and loved it! Go to excursions and type in cave tubing and read the reviews - I would do it again in a heartbeat! Have not done the other one you are talking about. Good luck!
cheryl
Old September 4th, 2006, 07:34 PM
Passenger

8)
We have done the cave tubing and the barrier reef snorkel. If this is your first trip (you will definately go again) I would recommend you try the cave tubing. It is an all day event, you get to ride through the town and out into the countryside. This will amaze you- as this country is still very primitive in alot of ways. Cave tubing will require that you walk a path through the jungle to get to the starting point. (@30 minutes) You have to carry your own tube. You will go down the river as a group to the area you first started out. Be sure to pack your water shoes, or rent theirs for a fee. Get back on the bus for a trip to the bar/restaurant "Cheers" for a cold beer and lunch buffet. Food is OK- but I am very picky. This place is unairconditioned, but open with fans and great atmosphere. Back to the tender area where they have lots of new shops to browse. Next time- barrier reef snorkel on catamaran!
Old September 4th, 2006, 08:55 PM
Admiral

Hi,my sons and their girlfriends did the cave tubing,and they enjoyed it.They said take two change of shoes....a sneaker type for the hike,and a water shoe before entering the water.We took a shore excursion,and my wife did not feel safe in Belize
Old September 8th, 2006, 06:08 PM
First Mate

Well, it appears the Cave Tubing is pretty popular.

When we cruised to Belize, hubby and I snorkeled at Shark/Ray Alley, and brother-in-law did the Cave Tubing tour.

Here it is a couple of years later and we're still raving about our Shark/Ray Alley swim, but brother-in-law was non-plussed about the Cave Tubing from the moment he got back on the ship. Sister-in-law did that monkey refuge (or whatever it was) tour and was even MORE non-plussed than brother-in-law was about the Cave Tubing!

I think it just depends on what you like!

But for me, between Jeeps/Caves and Cave Tubing, I'd be on the tube...Except, I wouldn't really be there, I'd REALLY be snorkeling with the sharks and sting rays again...*L*
Old September 8th, 2006, 06:10 PM
Passenger

Default Re: NEED HELP DECIDING BTWEEN TWO BELIZE EXCURSIONS!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stillborne
Hi folks. My wife and I are planning to take a our first cruise in a few months. We have pretty much decided on everything except for the port of Belize. We have that narrowed down to either the "LAND ROVER AND CAVE EXPEDITION." or the "CAVE TUBING AND RAIN FOREST EXPLORATION."
We were leaning more towards the land rover expedition but we would REALLY like to be sure about this. Could anyone that has been on either or both expeditions PLEASE give us your opinions? We would appreciate it. Thank's so much for giving me your time.
Hi Stillborne,

Cave Tubing, then Cave Tubing, and then more Cave Tubing - rainforest exploration is a part of it as well. Coolest tour in Belize, and only an hour's drive from your disembarkation point. Learn more - go to www.belizecavetubing.net or info@belizecavetubing.net and ask for Major Tom - been there on that tour since 1992, has great equipment, and super guides. Price is all inclusive and includes taxes - no hidden charges.
Waterproof camera - absolute must. Beach booties. Yes. Towel, fly repellent, sunblock, yes. Extra clothes and shoes/tennis, yes. And at half the price of the cruiselines on-board offer!!! (Hey - ask what the guides mean when they shout out at you "BOTTOM'S UP"). Har de Har Har.
Old September 9th, 2006, 06:10 AM
Cruise Maniac

All I can say is the cave tubing was amazing. The caves were like something out of a movie (Walt Disney's caves in the pirates of caribbean ride and Disneyland/world look just like them). The whole day was a once in a lifetime experience. You can read about it in my review that is posted in my signature if you want. We booked outside the cruiseline and it inlcuded a very yummy lunch right there in the forest under a thatched roof. It was very good.

Review & Photos

Old September 10th, 2006, 03:09 PM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via AIM to chosen175
Default land rover/cave exploration

we decided to bypass the cave tubing in belize in favor of the land rover exploration. my only main reason for doing this was that i didn't feel like hiking an hour through the jungle carrying an inner tube. some people we talked to went and had a blast but a few complained of there being WAY too many people.

our land rover expedition with carnival was the most amazing thing we did during the entire cruise!!!! they put you on a converted army-looking vehicle and take a guided tour to the site. the guides were very entertaining. they then broke us into groups of 6 and gave us our own guides. we got a head lamp, and a fanny pack with a bottle of water in it. we hiked through the rainforest adn the guide explained all the plants and what they're used for. it was really interesting! we hiked through i think 4 caves in all, including one where we got to see a sacrificial chamber. we saw some bats and whatnot, but nothing too scary. the only thing i'd advise against is the fact that some of the caves are a little "tight" and you may actually end up on your hands and knees if you're not the type who can squat and walk at the same time.

after that, we were taken to a little stand that sold drinks and put into open-air land rovers. our guide ended up hitching a ride with us and we went off-roading through the rainforest for about 45 minutes. we got a chance to talk to him and he was very open about his love for his country. the scenery was amazingly beautiful and that part of the trip, although bumpy at times because it was mostly dirt roads, was the most relaxing of the entire cruise! they took us to a hut with restrooms and we had some authentic homemade food for lunch. it was REALLY good!

after lunch, we got on a speed boat and took a 45 minute ride up the river. they slowed down to show us some wild animals on the sides of the water. otherwise, it was great and free rum punch! originally, they were going to take us right back to the ship to skip the tender but most of us wanted to pick up souvenirs so they took us to the pier instead.

i don't regret for one second doing this excursion and it gave me some of the most amazing pictures i've ever taken! you won't be disappointed if you go!

lisa

Carnival Valor April 2006
Contemplating a cruise wedding in 2010
Old September 11th, 2006, 10:17 PM
Beginner

I really enjoyed the Cave Tubing myself, but if you're unable to walk for long periods then I'd probably go with the land rover tour.
Sharebear
Old September 14th, 2006, 11:42 AM
Passenger

Definitely Cave Tubing. We went with X-stream Cave tubing and the tour is amazing. We had only 8 people in our group and such care! We opted for the zipline and cave tubing combination tour but you can do cave tubing only if you want. Definitely don't miss it, very unique and a lot of fun!
Old September 14th, 2006, 12:38 PM
Passenger

We just returned from cave tubing in Belize on Sunday and we had a GREAT time. The walk is long and semi-hard though be prepared, I wasn't. We did however go thru Carnival and were deeply disappointed. We put in at the same time with Xtreme & cavetubing.com and they were far better guides than ours.

Free Cruise Clocks
Old September 14th, 2006, 06:13 PM
Passenger

Default CAVE TUBING

CAVE TUBING IS A MUST !!!!!!!!!!!!!!