Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

View Poll Results: Do you prefer Eastern or Western Caribbean?
Just put me on the ship; I do not care where it goes. 12 57.14%
Western Caribbean 3 14.29%
Eastern Caribbean 6 28.57%
Voters: 21. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old September 6th, 2006, 08:19 AM
Cruise Maniac

Default Do you prefer Eastern or Western Caribbean?

This isn't really a Carnival specific poll but I don't hang out on the other boards. So tell us... Where do you prefer to cruise, Eastern or Western Caribbean? Be specific, what do you like or dislike? I for one will tell you that it wouldn't bother me to do away with Montego Bay, Jamaica as a port but I could live in Georgetown, Grand Cayman.

Carnival Conquest Oct. 2006
Carnival Conquest Nov. 2005
Sponsored Links
Old September 6th, 2006, 09:31 AM
Admiral

O.K., my two cents (after 20+ cruises):

Western Caribbean: Grand Cayman - good port for water people, i.e., swimming, snorkeling, shopping o.k. but nothing to write home about. Jamaica (Ocho Rios) - Dunns River Falls is the big draw, the residents are a little too pushy for my taste. Honduras - very sad to drive thru the country and see the living conditions but we went to Tabyana Beach and it was gorgeous. Cozumel - another water lovers stop, they still have some clean-up to do after last year's hurricane devastation but a nice place to spend a few hours. Belize is somewhere I don't ever want to go again, the living conditions are horrible, pushy vendors. Costa Maya was a waste of time, the beach was rocky, more pushy vendors who actually followed you out of their stores, people very unfriendly.

Eastern Caribbean: Puerto Rico - Carnival ships don't dock until 5:00 p.m. and the stores are closed except for a select few that stay open late to accommodate cruise ship passengers, the fort is closed. If you're not a bar person, there isn't much to do and it's a little intimidating walking around at night. The only way we were able to spend quality time in San Juan was when our ship had engine problems and we were forced to stay there another day. St. Thomas is beautiful, great beaches, excursions, shopping, friendly people. St. Maarten is my absolute favorite stop, clean, gorgeous beaches, good snorkeling, sailing, shopping, restaurants, friendly people.

Nassau...been there, done that, don't care if I ever see Nassau again. I wish hotels in Nassau would offer reasonably priced day passes to their resorts. Key West, I live in Florida and Key West is a short drive for me but for people who have never been there, there are loads of wonderful things to do there.
Old September 6th, 2006, 10:28 AM
First Mate

I really prefer the Eastern Caribbean cruises. I think you get more of an island atmosphere with those islands. St. Martin is my favorite stop in the Eastern.

That being said, most of my cruises have been Western only because I do group cruises (with the same group) and those are the most cost efficient for me.

Celebration 2/96
Imagination 2/97
Fascination 12/97
Imagination 3/99
Spirit 11/01
Sensation 1/02
Pride 11/02
Voyager of the Seas 5/03
Conquest 10/04
Conquest 10/29/06
Inspiration 11/08
Celebrity Solstice 2/09
Oasis of the Seas 10/16/10
Old September 6th, 2006, 11:48 AM
Cruise Maniac

I am happy with a bit of both. I hate the Cayman Islands and Rotan Island. I love Ocho Rios and Montego Bay. Carlos n Charlies is my favorite past time in Cozomel.

St. Thomas is my favorite place to shop. St. Martin has my favorite beach.
Sensation '99, '04, '08
Triumph '99 & '03
Victory '00 & '02
Imagination '01
Fascination '05
Navigator Sept '05, Jan '09, Mar 10
Valor Aug 6, 2006, Sept 2010
Adventure 10/06
Elation Nov. 30 2006
Majesty OS June 8 2007
Glory Dec 07
Destiny 8/09, 10/11