Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old September 6th, 2006, 01:22 PM
Passenger

Default Forget LSD, try the motion sickness patch

My wife was looking into going to the doctor to get the seasickness patch for our upcoming cruise. But then she read somewhere on the net that it may cause hallucinations. Anybody ever heard of that?
Old September 6th, 2006, 02:18 PM
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to Luanne Russo

I have never heard that anywhere, but it sure explains the behavior of some of my fellow passengers, on cruises.

Where did she get the info? From the Company that makes the patch?

Luanne
Conquest 2006
Conquest 2007
Ecstasy 2008
Valor B2B 2008

Conquest Virtual Cruise Topic Link
Old September 6th, 2006, 04:41 PM
Captain

Send a message via AIM to David West Send a message via Yahoo to David West

We've always used the non drowsey Drammine pills. Works for us.

Happy Sailing;
David
Legend May 2009
Liberty - Aug.23 2008
Fantasy - Sept.22 2007
Fantasy - Sept.27 2007 (B 2 B )
Holiday- Sept.- 2006
Valor- May - 2006
Conquest- August- 2003
Inspiration-Sept.-2001
Enchanted Isle- Sept.- 1999
Old September 6th, 2006, 04:54 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Forget LSD, try the motion sickness patch

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaron
My wife was looking into going to the doctor to get the seasickness patch for our upcoming cruise. But then she read somewhere on the net that it may cause hallucinations. Anybody ever heard of that?
I did a lot of reading and I could not find anything that says that is a side effect. Sleepy, yes; tripping out, no.

SS Norway (12 times) '85 - '97; Radiance OS 06/01; Island Princess 11/04, Grand Princess 11/04/05, Golden Princess 7/21/06, Golden Princess 2/24/07, Explorer of the Seas 12/23/07, Island Princess 11/15/08
Old September 6th, 2006, 06:17 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Re: Forget LSD, try the motion sickness patch

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaron
Only if you smoke them
Old September 7th, 2006, 04:02 PM
First Mate

I would avoid those patches like the plague. Especially if you're already taking other medication. My college roommate's wife used one on a cruise and had major anxiety attacks by about the 4th day. My wife took her to the ship's infirmary and the doctor told her to remove it NOW. She managed to return to normal in a few days but it still made for an unpleasant vacation. The doctor was saying that he has seen people hallucinate on it, particularly seniors (and again it may be a reaction with other medications). I've found that Bonine works fine with no side effects, and I hear those accupressure bracelets work good too.

Dana
Old September 7th, 2006, 04:09 PM
First Mate

This is what I found when I did a search:

Prior to taking Transderm Scop or Scopolamine, tell your doctor the following:

1. If you are pregnant or breast feeding or plan to become pregnant
2. If you have or have had glaucoma or increased pressure in the eye or a predisposition to glaucoma
3. If you have or have had any metabolic, heart, liver, kidney or other serious medical conditions or complications
4. If you have or have had any obstruction to the stomach or intestine
5. If you have difficulty urinating
6. If you are allergic to Scopolamine, belladonna alkaloids, or any other drugs. If you have ever developed a skin rash as a reaction to taking other drugs, chemicals or food substances
7. If you are currently taking any other prescription or non-prescription medications, especially medications that affect your mental state, including cough, cold and allergy products, or any vitamins
8. If you are planning to have surgery, make your doctor aware that you are taking scopolamine patches.

Other Transderm Scopolamine (Motion Sickness) Warnings:

*This drug may cause drowsiness. Do not drive a car or operate machinery until you know how you will react to the motion sickness treatment, Transderm Scop. Also take precaution when your dose is increased.

*Notify your doctor of any Scopolamine side effects that may occur. Click here for a detailed explanation of Transderm Scop side effects.

*Avoid using alcohol.

Celebration 2/96
Imagination 2/97
Fascination 12/97
Imagination 3/99
Spirit 11/01
Sensation 1/02
Pride 11/02
Voyager of the Seas 5/03
Conquest 10/04
Conquest 10/29/06
Inspiration 11/08
Celebrity Solstice 2/09
Oasis of the Seas 10/16/10
Old September 7th, 2006, 04:19 PM
Passenger

i had used the patch twice with no problem. Last May on the NCL Dawn, my eyes went all wonky. I actually thought I needed bifocals overnight. I am naturally severely nearsighted, but everything was blurry unless held at arms length. My pupils were dialated. Luckily we were in port and I was able to call home for some med. advice. Dad said take it off and symtoms cleared up within a few hours. No sickness the rest of the cruise either! When I told my MD, he said he told me there would be side effects. I just didn't listen cause I had used them before! Last Cruise in Dec., I used Bonine with no problem.

Good Luck
Jen
Old September 7th, 2006, 04:43 PM
Captain

Just go to the back & stuff yourself with that great Pizza...

Conquest .... Nov /03 (New Orleans)
Conquest .... Dec /05 (Galveston)
Celebration.. Sept /06 (Jacksonville)
Fantasy....... Dec/07 (New Orleans)
Splendor...... Nov. 29th, 2009

Splendor...... Nov. 28th, 2010 (booked)
Old September 7th, 2006, 05:04 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Scopolomine is a prescription medication and it can have side effects. Hallucinations are not one of them unless the person has other issues such as panic attacks, that may be brought on by drowsiness, dizziness or other side effects.

Just about any prescription medication will have MANY contraindications. If you don't know what that word means then you know why you have to go to the doctor to get the prescription. When you go to the doctor, talk to him/her about it and why you want it. I also suggest that you try a patch before you get on the boat and see what are the side effects on you. It's better to know before you start your vacation then to have a side effect ruin it.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old September 7th, 2006, 06:04 PM
Captain

I went to Walmart and bought the generic brand motion sickness medicine for about $2.00. I only had to use it one time after riding the ferry from Cozumel to Playa del Carmen. It worked great. I have taken them on every cruise so far, and haven't needed them, but I will continue to take them with me, just in case I need them. ( I also slept great that night.)

Happy cruising to all!!!!

Libragirl
Old September 8th, 2006, 09:18 AM
Admiral

The lovely Mrs. Jones (Vita) always takes Bonine (actually meclizine, which is the same thing) and has no problems at all. See is VERY prone to motion sickness, so the stuff must work. I've taken it on occasion, but have never notices any side effects at all. No drowseyness or other problems. It works for us.
As a side note, if you cruise a lot it's worth it to buy meclizine over the counter, as long as you buy a full bottle. (100 I think) You can't buy just a few without an Rx, but you can buy a full bottle. (go figure?) Much less expensive that way.

Ken
Old September 8th, 2006, 09:36 AM
First Mate

The Mythbusters had a show and tested motions sickness remedies.

Ginger pills worked and didnt zonk you out like OTC meds.

Im going to give them a try on the next cruise, even though it rarely bothers me.

R

CCL Inspiration 09
RCCL Explorer of the Seas Eastern 09
CCL Miracle Southern '08
RCCL Enchantment of the Seas Western '07
PCL Caribbean Princess Eastern '05
RCCL Explorer of the Seas Western '05
RCCL Explorer of the Seas Eastern '04
CCL Destiny Southern '01
CCL Sensation Eastern '94
CCL Ecstacy Western '92
CCL Jubilee Eastern '90
Old September 8th, 2006, 11:03 AM
Admiral

the patch is only for those who suffer from SEVERE motion sickness. Does your wife get really sick when she rides in the car, flyes, takes the train? If so, then she might need the patch. The medicine in the patch is basically an anti-seizure medication. This should be your last resort for medication.
Old September 8th, 2006, 11:33 AM
Passenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by LisaK
the patch is only for those who suffer from SEVERE motion sickness. Does your wife get really sick when she rides in the car, flyes, takes the train? If so, then she might need the patch. The medicine in the patch is basically an anti-seizure medication. This should be your last resort for medication.
She isn't pursuing the patch anymore and isn't really worried about sea sickness. On our first cruise together we had some problems. She took Dramamine which made her tired and she missed all the activities at night. I used the bracelets which worked. During our second cruise the problem didn't come up very often and most of the time we went without any kind of aid for sea-sickness. I think the bracelets and an occasional dramamine will work fine.

There is one thing that concerns me though. We have only sailed the Carribean in the past. Our upcoming cruise is on the Pacific where the water is a lot more open. Does that possibly mean rougher water?
Old September 8th, 2006, 01:27 PM
Admiral

aaron, there really isn't any way of knowing. Chances are that since you will be sailing on open water you might run into some rougher water than you are used to, but on the other hand you could have beautiful smooth sailing.
There is a non-drowsy formula of Bonnine availiable OTC for motion sickness.
Old September 11th, 2006, 12:01 PM
First Mate

Aaron,

If you're taking the standard Mexican Riviera cruise, then you very well might have problems on the reach from Cabo north to LA...it seems the currents make that particular track rather choppy. On our Elation cruise on this route, the bow was going up and down about 30 feet despite the stabilizers. The dancers (stage was in the bow) were having major problems and lots of people got seasick. However, the rest of the cruise (and the same route southbound) had no problems.

Dana
Old September 11th, 2006, 01:38 PM
First Mate

We have cruised the Mexican riviera 5 times and I do tend to get sea sick, but then again I get motion sickness watching an arcade game. I take over the counter meclizine (generic of Bonine/Dramamine 2) and have no problems and don't get sea sick while on the cruise. I start taking them about 2 to 3 days prior to sailing just in case I do get drowsy and that way I get used to it. I don't seem to find the seas too rough on the Pacific side and we have even left out of San Francisco. Have a great cruise all!! 8)
Old September 11th, 2006, 01:53 PM
Passenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by danacline
Aaron,

If you're taking the standard Mexican Riviera cruise, then you very well might have problems on the reach from Cabo north to LA...it seems the currents make that particular track rather choppy. On our Elation cruise on this route, the bow was going up and down about 30 feet despite the stabilizers. The dancers (stage was in the bow) were having major problems and lots of people got seasick. However, the rest of the cruise (and the same route southbound) had no problems.

Dana
We're doing Vancouver to Honolulu, not the Mexican Riviera cruise. However, we will keep this in mind if we ever consider doing the Riviera cruise. I sure wouldn't take it if I knew conditions would be like that.
Old September 12th, 2006, 11:55 AM
First Mate

Quote:
We're doing Vancouver to Honolulu, not the Mexican Riviera cruise. However, we will keep this in mind if we ever consider doing the Riviera cruise. I sure wouldn't take it if I knew conditions would be like that.
I think the potential is there any time you're in the open ocean, or even a large lake. But it didn't ruin the trip...both my daughters and one son took a Bonine and were fine the rest of the day. The rest of us felt no effects.

Dana