Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old September 10th, 2006, 11:15 PM
Passenger

Default Debarkation

I am sailing (for the first time) on December 2 on the Glory. With the new restrictions in place, I dont really want to put my luggage out in front of the door night before because it will mean no deoderant, shampoo, etc. But will putting it out in the morning slow the process? Also do they take into consideration your flight time when determining the order of debarkation? We have a 12:50 flight out of Orlando.
Old September 11th, 2006, 09:01 AM
Admiral

Hi Nancyjw,

We always carry a small carry bag with the necessary stuff for this reason. When you pick out your luggage in the morning, its not a hard thing to open up and put this stuff back in there. Leaving it out there the night before makes things faster and easier.

Life is too short to let the ship of your dreams sail without you.

Carnival Destiny Feb. 2006
Carnival Fascination Feb. 2007
Royal Caribbean Grandeur of the Seas Feb. 2008 The DTW & MsBJ tour
Carnival Valor MsBJ and Dina Feb. 2009
Carnival Glory MsBJ and Dina Feb. 2010
Carnival Dream MsBJ and Dina Feb. 2011
Old September 11th, 2006, 09:05 AM
Admiral

If you can carry off all your luggage without help, you can do so as a self-assist passenger and be able to keep all your luggage in your stateroom with you until debarkation and you will be allowed to get off the ship early. You cannot put your luggage out in the morning...they take your luggage the night before so they can unload it quickly into the terminal as soon as the ship docks and it is ready and waiting for passengers to claim it. I lock up my luggage and place it outside my door the night prior to our return to port and have never had a problem. We keep a small duffel bag or rolling suitcase with us so we can pack up all our last minute items in the morning, i.e., deodorant, toothbrush, nightgown, etc. As far as your flight is concerned, I don't know if the cruise line would consider your flight time as "early" and therefore eligible for early debarkation. The Glory is a great ship, hope you enjoy your cruise!!
Old September 11th, 2006, 10:42 AM
Passenger

Ok Dina, do I understand this correctly? Even if I put my luggage in front of my door at night, then I have a chance to put my toiletries things into my checked bag prior to checking in at the airport? Also, the post from Rosetatoo indicates that if we try to lug our own luggage down to the pier, we may be able to get off the ship earlier but other posts make it sound like that is difficult to do, what with steps, escalators, etc. Sorry, I am all new to this, never been on a cruise. And oh, maybe I had better get back to work.
Old September 11th, 2006, 11:11 AM
Admiral

I haven't flown since the new restrictions were put in place. I've always carried a small wheeled carry-on with my essentials in it along with clothing and things I don't want to lose. It was my traveling habit regardless of flying or not. Before checking in your luggage at the airport you have your bag in hand so why not crack her open and toss in the stuff before handing it over to the agent. With the new restrictions, I'll be forced to check my "carry on" at the airport. At least when on the cruise, I can keep it in hand until that point.

I think the hassle factor depends on how big your luggage is. I know when we were getting off the ship there are a lot of people trying to get off the ship at the same time so it gets tight in the halls stairs and elevators. So you have to lift and tug it along. If its ok with you then go for it.

Life is too short to let the ship of your dreams sail without you.

Carnival Destiny Feb. 2006
Carnival Fascination Feb. 2007
Royal Caribbean Grandeur of the Seas Feb. 2008 The DTW & MsBJ tour
Carnival Valor MsBJ and Dina Feb. 2009
Carnival Glory MsBJ and Dina Feb. 2010
Carnival Dream MsBJ and Dina Feb. 2011
Old September 11th, 2006, 01:09 PM
Captain

My husband and I will be on the Glory Sept. 30. We have a flight to catch at 12:50 p.m. We plan to self disembark because you get off the ship much earlier that way. We are also planning to pack light (mainly because we are flying to and from the port and don't want to pay extra for our luggage weight.) Self disembarking is much more difficult if you have a lot of bags, because you have to be able to take all your bags out yourself. If you pack light, it will be much easier.

Good luck and have a great time!!!

Libragirl
Old September 11th, 2006, 04:49 PM
First Mate

Keep two small rolly bags with you, put the larger bags in the hall. Pack all of your shampoos, liquids, bed clothes, etc into one that you will plan to check at the airport with your larger luggage, In the other put all of your valuables and electronics that you want to carry on, keep that one with you. Just don't get them mixed up