CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   Carnival Cruise Lines (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/carnival-cruise-lines/)
-   -   kids' dress code on Carnival (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/carnival-cruise-lines/320534-kids-dress-code-carnival.html)

TexasHeather September 13th, 2006 12:44 PM

kids' dress code on Carnival

basically, on non-formal nights, are nice jeans okay for my boys with a polo shirt, tucked in & with a belt?? Or must I buy them extra slacks?

I had originally planned slacks-style shorts for them, but Carnival says no shorts, even for kids. They don't, however, expressly forbid jeans.

They are 8 & 5, plus a 1 yr old who I assume just needs to be cute & clean, right? How much is a baby expected to follow the dress code?

Thanks!

amaretto September 13th, 2006 03:32 PM

Hi TexasHeather,

Yes, a pair of nice jeans with a polo shirt would be fine for your boys. Just make sure that they don't have rips or holes or are excessively baggy (what the kids call "fashion" these days LOL). If it's your first time cruising with your kids, it's not as formal as may think. I thought that it would be dressy every night, but the rules always relax. I even saw a couple of young girls wearing skirts with flip flops in the dining room.

Hope this helps and happy cruising!

TexasHeather September 13th, 2006 03:40 PM

yes, that helps immensely! thank you!!

the jeans in question are dark, classic fit (at waist, straight leg, no extra pockets or painters loops, etc.), not faded, ripped or stained. :D

so we should be good to go -- yippee!!

(I am checking the resale shops for good condition slacks/dockers/casual not jeans pants, just in case....)

amaretto September 13th, 2006 03:44 PM

The jeans that you described are fine for your son. However, for formal nights, it wouldn't be ideal to wear jeans to the dining room, so you should check stores for a pair of formal pants, such as slacks or Dockers.

Hope you have a great cruise!

Dorothy September 13th, 2006 05:35 PM

And on formal night, polo shirts are not okay - even for children.

I happen to disagree about the jeans issue, but amaretto is correct, they are not expressly forbidden in the dining room and you will see them. I don't happen to think jeans are particularly appropriate for a really nice restaurant (think china, nice silver, linen tablecloths, waiters in fairly formal attire) at home, so why should they be at sea?

I think babies can wear anything they want!

Not to mention, it's just too doggone HOT in the Caribbean for jeans if you ask me! :wink:

You and your sons will have a wonderful time, no matter how you are dressed, however.

Happy sailing.

dorothy

amaretto September 13th, 2006 05:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dorothy
Not to mention, it's just too doggone HOT in the Caribbean for jeans if you ask me! :wink:

Well, yes, it is really hot in the Caribbean, but that is really only when you go out on deck or go ashore. In the ship, the air conditioning is actually a bit too cold for comfort, if you ask me; so I think that jeans would be ok if you're wearing them inside the ship and not too much on deck or outdoors.

Dorothy September 13th, 2006 06:44 PM

I tended to stay in my "dinner clothes" for the rest of the evening, so jeans would have been awful, since I was out on deck many times during the course of the evening.

I agree that it's downright polar some nights on the ship!

I also just find jeans a tad uncomfortable. Except maybe my old, soft, worn out jeans. But new jeans are stiff, to me.

dorothy

TexasHeather September 13th, 2006 06:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dorothy
I happen to disagree about the jeans issue, but amaretto is correct, they are not expressly forbidden in the dining room and you will see them.

You and your sons will have a wonderful time, no matter how you are dressed, however.

Happy sailing.

dorothy

Thank you -- I'm really trying to dress the kids appropriately (me & dh I have covered, LOL!)

I just got back from shopping and picked up the following:
8 yr old -- khaki slacks, white shirt w/navy dressy plaid & navy blazer

5 yr old -- dark khaki/olive slacks, white shirt w/thin dark plaid (more like pin stripes that go horizontal & vertical, not exactly plaid...); the color of the stripes matches the color of the slacks (this was wedding attire we had at home, that fit the 8 yr old 2 yrs ago, now fits the 5 yr old)

1 yr old -- black cordurory (sp??) pants & a white shirt with red & black pin stripe plaid (like above shirt, for lack of better term); I know cords are heavy weight for the Carribean, but in our rural town, dressy/formal wear is only available at Christmas & Easter, at least for kids, so it was this or nothing

we will probably add ties for the boys as well, if we can find them.

I also picked up a pair of dockers type pants for each boy, will pack jeans for back-up in case of spills, and dressy slacks-style shorts for extra back-up, just in case.

I think we're set -- thanks, all!!

LisaK September 14th, 2006 08:19 AM

Heather - you are good to go! those outfits will be just fine.
I replyed to you on another thread regarding the jeans issue - take the time to seek out and simply ask the Maitre D if he will let your boys wear the nice jeans & polo shirt to dinner in his dinning room on casual night, that way you will know and there won't be any questions.

TexasHeather September 14th, 2006 09:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LisaK
Heather - you are good to go! those outfits will be just fine.
I replyed to you on another thread regarding the jeans issue - take the time to seek out and simply ask the Maitre D if he will let your boys wear the nice jeans & polo shirt to dinner in his dinning room on casual night, that way you will know and there won't be any questions.

thanks, Lisa. That's a great suggestion -- we'll do that :)

LisaK September 15th, 2006 10:32 AM

You are welcome Heather, glad to be of some help.

tikilove81 September 17th, 2006 09:51 PM

OKay I cruised with my 2 daughters last year, then 4 and 1. We will be cruising again in 2 months. In my opinion I thought it was a realy waste of time dressing them up in dresses etc just for dinner. By dessert my oldest was begging to go to Camp Carnival and I would have to drag her to change her into comfy clothes to play in. I think I am not going to dress up as much either except for the 2 formal nights because I would want to go to the show or the clubs and I preffered a tracksuit after dinner(so I could stay warm!) I think your are fine even with the jeans. like I said this is my opinion and experience. I know every one will not agree with me!

BlueChef September 18th, 2006 09:57 AM

Hi Heather. I think Dorothy has the best ideas. The suggested dress code on Carnival ships applies to children, as well as adults. I love seeing the little ones in khakis and nice shirt in the dining room - for all casual evenings. To me, it teaches them to follow mom & dad's protocol for dressing for an occasion. Besides, they look so darn cute when properly dressed. Me - I would leave all jeans at home. You sound as if you want to do what is correct, and jeans are simply not appropriate for a formal setting dining room - whether it's formal night or not. Have a great cruise! :D

LisaK September 18th, 2006 02:19 PM

tikilove81 - i would have to disagree with you a bit. I think that playclothes are not appropriate attire for the dining room during dinner.
I agree that dresses for the little ones should be saved for formal nights.
Cute capris with a cute top, a cute little denim skirt with a cute top or a pair of casual pants with a polo or a nice jersey would be perfect for the girls on casual nights. If you have boys, dress them in a pair of cargo pants, khakis or navy blue dockers type pants with a polo or a nice jersey.
Track suits are not appropriate dinner attire for the dining room.

tikilove81 September 18th, 2006 03:26 PM

LisaK- I never said that "play clothes" were okay for dinner. I said that it was a pain having to change my daughter out of a dress every night. Many children do not have dress plants, etc. And really, the way kids eat I wouldn't want to ruin any of their fancy clothes.

Fern September 18th, 2006 07:49 PM

Hi tikilove81,

I know you didn't ask :D , but if I had children 5 and 2 years old (?) I'd take them to the buffet to eat before you go to the dining room, and then drop them off at Camp Carnival.

That way they can wear their "play" clothes, you can have a quiet dinner, and they'll be very happy in Camp Carnival!

I also agree with LisaK if you're going to bring them to the dining room:

Quote:

Cute capris with a cute top, a cute little denim skirt with a cute top or a pair of casual pants with a polo or a nice jersey would be perfect for the girls on casual nights. If you have boys, dress them in a pair of cargo pants, khakis or navy blue dockers type pants with a polo or a nice jersey.
Have a wonderful cruise!

Fern September 18th, 2006 07:57 PM

Hi LisaK,

I think that tikilove81 was talking about changing into a track suit after dinner. While some cruise lines ask that you stay with the night's dress code for the whole evening, I don't believe that Carnival does. Please correct me if I'm wrong :-? !

Ljberkow September 19th, 2006 07:55 AM

I can't speak for Carnival. But on formal night on an RCCL cruise, I didn't see any boys in jeans. My 6-year old work khakis. My 8-year old daughter wore a sun dress. It's not a bad idea for kids to dress up a little for the formal nights. Maybe Carnival is different. I'll find out on my cruise next April.

LisaK September 19th, 2006 11:13 AM

tikilove81 - sorry i must have misread your post. LisaK