Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old September 20th, 2006, 09:02 PM
Beginner

Default Aft Cabins, Yay or Nay

This is actually probably pointless, since I'm already booked with a cabin assignment, but I wanted to get some opinions on an Aft cabin. I'll be cruising on the Valor on 10/15 and we have a balcony cabin...6456. I've heard some people (especially my PVP) say that these are highly desirable. However, I've also recently read that there is quite a bit of noise/vibration/etc.. when staying in an Aft cabin. And are the balconies really that much bigger. I think they told me when I went to book that the balcony on these aft cabins was something to the effect of 50% bigger than the normal balcony. Any truth to that?

Anyway, thanks in advance for the help. Everyone on this forum is so helpful and informative.
Sponsored Links
Old September 20th, 2006, 09:37 PM
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to Luanne Russo

Okay dhay55,

I checked you out, and it looks good. I am not sure about the balcony being bigger. I know the ones on each end are bigger. The view is to die for. There is something so soothing about watching the waves the ship makes. As far as vibration. Maybe, but I doubt it. You are high enough up, to probably make it nice and comfortable. You are not that far from the elevators, and there will be very little traffic back there.

But, you know the best part, even if you feel the motion? Lay on your nice comfortable bed, smile, and say "Damn, I am cruising"

Luanne
Conquest 2006
Conquest 2007
Ecstasy 2008
Valor B2B 2008

Conquest Virtual Cruise Topic Link
Old September 20th, 2006, 10:55 PM
First Mate

We've got an aft balcony on the Legend for our upcoming cruise on Monday. It's an extended balcony....I'll let you know what we think of it after we get back.
5/'06 Celebrity Zenith
6/'06 Carnival Legend
9/25/06 Carnival Legend
10/29/06 11 nite NCL Spirit
2/4/2007 Carnival Legend
May 14-25th, Carnival Fascination...3 B2B's
9/24/07 Carnival Miracle
11/7/07 Carnival Miracle
1/14/08 Fascination
1/18/08 Carnival Miracle (Platinum on this one!)
2/25/08 Fascination
4/21 & 4/26/08 B2B on the Imagination
Future cruises:
9/7/08 Legend
11/16/08 Legend
1/26 & 1/31 Destiny B2B
Old September 21st, 2006, 06:06 AM
First Mate

I have the room next to you 6454 for February . We always book way in advance to get the AFT. It is so awesome. The view is so incredible , that we do not feel the vibration, one thing you definately will not have is the kids running past your room at night, that we have had from other rooms.
The balconies are not bigger in the back but thats o.k. we did the cornor on the Legend and even though that was huge it was not woth the extra money. Enjoy and let me know how my room is going to be. I have never been on the Valor.
Destiny
Norwegian Majesty
Legend
Legend
Valor
Valor again Yahoo!
Old September 21st, 2006, 04:58 PM
Passenger

We sailed on the Glory in Aug 2005 and our AFT Cabin #6489 was absolutely the best. I can't think of any negatives associated with these types of cabins other than the balcony area had a tendency to get a little hot while the ship wasn't moving. As for noise or any other irritating sounds, there were none. Plus, with a short walk to the elevators or stairs we were only a couple decks from the AFT dining areas. The bottom line is that we were extremely pleased with our choice of the AFT cabin. I hope that your experience is just as pleasant.
Sensation 10/2002
Majesty of the Seas 4/2003
Glory 8/2005
Miracle 8/2006
Imagination 8/2007
Destiny 11/2007
Valor 7/2008
Victory .
Old September 21st, 2006, 06:48 PM
Cruise Maniac

We booked room number 6454 on the Conquest for a New Years cruise. We are very excited about an aft balcony.

I did a little Columbo work to find out if there is any truth to the 50% bigger. Here is what I came up with.

I think you have more leg room due to the slanted glass on the aft balcony but I don't think you have more walk around room. Using the Pride as an example, here is a picture of an aft balcony.

http://cruisemates.com/gallery/image.php?id=32631

The glass on the other balcony cabins are straight up and down.

http://travel.webshots.com/photo/105...39914698UfvUbm

Is this the additional 50% they mentioned? I don't know, but I did enjoy looking at the balcony pictures while trying to prove my theory.

Oh, excuse me but there is just one more thing... Enjoy your cruise!
Carnival Paradise
NCL Dream
Carnival Elation
Carnival Conquest
Golden Princess
Old September 21st, 2006, 07:31 PM
Admiral

Yay for aft...had one on the Imagination...a smooth ride
Old September 21st, 2006, 07:53 PM
Cruise Maniac

Going aft room 8450 on the Liberty April 28. I have been wanting to try one of these rooms. This one is under the aft pool, any comments on this one?
Old September 21st, 2006, 09:56 PM
First Mate

We were too convinced by PVP and friends to book an aft cabin. We found that there was more noise and vibration as the ship enter and left ports. The balcony was larger, but the balconies were tiered, so there was left privacy on our larger balcony. And the walk was longer to the aft balcony down long skinny hallways, which I hated.

We usually book cabins midship near elevators/stairs, and that's where we're back to from this day forward.

RCL x5: Majesty of the Seas, Sovereign of the Seas, Freedom of the Seas, Liberty of the Seas, Oasis of the Seas

Celebrity x1: Century

Princess x3: Caribbean Princess x3, Dawn Princess

NCL x1: NCL Spirit
Old September 22nd, 2006, 09:18 AM
Beginner

Thanks to all for the input. Like I said, it was a question that would result in no action on my part as the cabin is already booked. I'll let you know what my take is when we get back. Only 23 days till we set sail. Can't wait. It's my second cruise on Carnival, and my wife's first (carnival) and first cruise period since she was 8. Again, thanks go out to everyone for their valuable input.
Old September 22nd, 2006, 07:55 PM
Passenger

Default Yeah for Aft cabin!

My sister and I cruised on the Glory last year and we had our first Aft cabin. I will never go back to a regular balcony!! We had a corner cabin with the wrap around balcony which was really roomy. We never even went to the pool except for an occasional swim. We asked our steward to bring up two chaise lounges ( a tip I learned from cruisemates!) which was no problem. There was always a great breeze, never mind the fantastic views! I think the center balconies on the aft had more room as well. I did not notice any more noise or motion compared to other cabins that we have had in the past. The only negative was sometimes in the AM there were cigarette butts that had flown over from above. However, each day they were picked up when our room was cleaned. Have a blast!!