Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old September 27th, 2006, 11:48 PM
Admiral

Default TexasHeather

I noticed that you just returned from the Ecstasy. I'll be boarding on Nov. 9 and I'm soooo ready!

My 2 1/2 year old grandaughter will be with us, so any information you can give me on camp carnival would be nice.

Also, is there any entertainment that is a "must" while we are onboard. Anything else that you want to share? Thanks so much.
Mariner of the Seas

HAL Statendam Alaska Cruise Tour - 09/09/12; Disney Magic - 12/01/12; Allure of the Seas - 05/26/13
Sponsored Links
Old September 29th, 2006, 06:12 PM
Passenger

Default Re: TexasHeather

Quote:
Originally Posted by ready2gonow
I noticed that you just returned from the Ecstasy. I'll be boarding on Nov. 9 and I'm soooo ready!

My 2 1/2 year old grandaughter will be with us, so any information you can give me on camp carnival would be nice.

Also, is there any entertainment that is a "must" while we are onboard. Anything else that you want to share? Thanks so much.
ready2go...

I have the Camp Carnival schedule; it's a bit lengthy to post, but if you post your email I can email it to you.

If you aren't comfortable with that, a quick summary -- excellent counselors, amazing activities for the kiddos, lots of arts & crafts, hands on stuff, not just sitting around watching cartoons (though, they do that too!), really engaging activities.

My boys have never stayed with anyone other than grandparents for babysitters, other than a rare emergency here or there, and are rarely if ever in group settings like this -- they LOVED camp carnival. They were asking to go, and my 5 yr old actually told his counselor/teacher "no, don't open the door yet!!" once when we came to pick him up. That, to me, is the highest praise I can give this program -- truly, they were excellent.

Safety is VERY good -- really exceptional. The 2-5 yr old area is locked from the inside, though there are windows so that parents can see in (a huge picture window); we liked that. You sign the child in & out, they actually compare your siggy to the one on back of your Sail & Sign card (so sign the back the first day!), you get a pager so that if there is a problem, they can reach you. It's astounding.

We did not use them for the kid's dinners that they offer (we had our 19 mo. old with us, too, and they didn't offer dinner-time care for him, so we just kept all the boys with us), but they do offer it which is nice. Looking forward to that next time, when the baby will be over 2!!!

As for on board entertainment for adults -- all depends on your style/tastes. We saw 3 of the nighttime shows -- we missed the 1st night b/c we went to a camp carnival welcome party instead; we saw the show on formal night -- didn't care for that one too much; a little wierd for our tastes, and a little too risque' (one scene was guys in a fake strip club, with the female dancers immitating lap dances & pole dancing). The extreme country show was WONDERFUL!!! (and we are not huge country fans!), and the comedy/magician combo the last night was pretty good. We skipped the talent show/comedian, so no idea on that.

There's also lots of fun games, etc. on board -- really, tons to do for whatever your tastes. Bingo was a little more than I thought it would be, but then if you do win, the prizes are hefty.

Food was astounding, even on the buffet in the lido deck. We ate grilled salmon teryaki from the buffet the last night on board -- just to give you an idea. That was fairly standard fare, too!

Anyway, all in all, great trip. Have a blast!!!!! And let me know if you want me to email the Camp Carnival schedule to you.
mom to 3 great boys, ages 12, 9 & 4
Old September 29th, 2006, 09:42 PM
Passenger

Default Re: TexasHeather

Quote:
Originally Posted by ready2gonow

I went ahead and posted the schedule -- look for my post titled camp carnival ecstasy schedule inside.

Hope it helps!
Old September 30th, 2006, 12:30 AM
Admiral

Thank you! That gives me a good idea of what to expect. I know my grandaughter will have lots of fun. She has no problem entering a "group" setting. She is rather sociable, just like her dad . (When he started 1st grade I picked him up from school and he proceded to tell me he was the funniest kid in his class! I was so pleased ) Sounds like out taste in entertainment is similar. I don't think I would care for that one show, as well.

O.K. you're back home. You know, the best cure for post-cruise-depression is to book another one .
Mariner of the Seas

HAL Statendam Alaska Cruise Tour - 09/09/12; Disney Magic - 12/01/12; Allure of the Seas - 05/26/13
Old September 30th, 2006, 03:42 PM
Cruise Maniac

I may be a little prejudiced because my stepdaughter is the lead production singer, but I saw all her shows and can't even remember a scene where they were supposedly in a strip club. However I will qualify that by saying that I pretty much focused only on her when she was onstage and only really watched the dancers when she wasn't onstage. Of course everyone has their own idea of what is risque, but I hate to leave the impression that the show "Dream Voyage" is somewhat sleazy. I was actually pleasantly surprised that the costumes, while some were a little "belly baring", weren't as skimpy as the photos I had seen in Carnival brochures. "Dream Voyage" starts out with several songs from "The Wiz" and then takes you through the decades, it must have been during one of those time periods that the "strip club" scene appeared. Like I said, everyone is entitled to their opinion and not everyone likes the same things, but all in all I thought the show enjoyable (especially my little girl up there!), if somewhat disjointed. I did think the country show was much better. When we saw it the fiddle player, Barry Van Wie, was still coming aboard and doing his own show as well as playing in the country show. He is an amazing fiddle player. If you only want to make time for one show, definitely make it Xtreme Country!
Old September 30th, 2006, 06:31 PM
Passenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by centralcalicruzer
I may be a little prejudiced because my stepdaughter is the lead production singer, but I saw all her shows and can't even remember a scene where they were supposedly in a strip club.

your stepdaughter does a wonderful job -- she is very talented!!!

However I will qualify that by saying that I pretty much focused only on her when she was onstage and only really watched the dancers when she wasn't onstage. Of course everyone has their own idea of what is risque, but I hate to leave the impression that the show "Dream Voyage" is somewhat sleazy.

Sorry, I didn't mean to imply "sleazy"; in fact, I think I said "a bit risque' for my tastes". No, it wasn't sleazily done, but it was more than I expected since the kids' club even took the kids to that show (with the note in their literature that some costumes might be revealing).

"Dream Voyage" starts out with several songs from "The Wiz" and then takes you through the decades, it must have been during one of those time periods that the "strip club" scene appeared.

Yes, it was after the decades series/during -- after the WWII stuff. It featured the guy dancers sitting at round tables, a series of raised blocks in the background (like stages), with poles on every other block, with a female dancer dancing at each pole. On the other blocks, there were white screens, behind which a male & female were in sillouhette, the females mimicking lap dances; they did come out fully clothed (the screens drop from in front of them). Shortly after that, the scene changed to something less risque', and that was the only risque' part of the show, that I recall. Still, I wanted to mention it, just in case.

Like I said, everyone is entitled to their opinion and not everyone likes the same things, but all in all I thought the show enjoyable (especially my little girl up there!), if somewhat disjointed.

the disjointed part is really the "too weird for my tastes" part that I meant; I just couldn't think of a good word for it. Disjointed sums it up very well.

I did think the country show was much better. When we saw it the fiddle player, Barry Van Wie, was still coming aboard and doing his own show as well as playing in the country show. He is an amazing fiddle player. If you only want to make time for one show, definitely make it Xtreme Country!
and, yes, just my opinion; I certainly didn't mean to mislead. And, truly, your stepdaughter is incredibly talented, as are all of the dancers/singers. All the shows, whether to my taste or not, were incredibly well done.
Old September 30th, 2006, 07:36 PM
Admiral

Thank you TexasHeather and CentralCaliCruiser!

CCC, is there a way I can pick your stepdaughter out of the dancers? I agree that the dancers on the ships are incredibly talented and love to watch them. I love to smile at her and say, "I've been visiting with your Mom!" Very doubtful I would have the opportunity, but I could point her out to my DH!

Thanks, again, for both of your giving me your input.
Mariner of the Seas

Old October 1st, 2006, 06:38 PM
Cruise Maniac

ready2gonow, my stepdaughter is not one of the dancers, she is the lead production singer, although she does do some dancing in the show. She is pretty easy to pick out since she and her male lead are the only ones that sing solos during the shows. However, Nov 9 will be her last cruise so it is possible that her replacement may be performing that week, I am not sure how they do all that with changing over the cast and everything. She has had a great time but is ready to come home for awhile. At 21 she is the youngest lead singer in the entire Carnival fleet and this is the longest she's ever been away from home.
The Ecstasy is great, you will have a fun time on your cruise.
TexasHeather, I didn't think you were trying to slam the show or anything, just wanted to present the viewpoint that, although there may be a scene in there that some find more risque than their tastes, the scenes change pretty rapidly and all in all the show was entertaining.