Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old October 2nd, 2006, 11:31 AM
Beginner

Default Fall on the Conquest

Does anyone have any information on the cause or reason the female passenger fell from the back of the ship to the sixth floor balcony?[/b]
Sponsored Links
Old October 2nd, 2006, 01:03 PM
Admiral

Is this a new thing or are you talking about the lady that no one reported until they got to port?

Really there is no accidental way for an adult to "fall" off a balcony and thats if they are drunk and doing something stupid. The others have jumped.

Life is too short to let the ship of your dreams sail without you.

Carnival Destiny Feb. 2006
Carnival Fascination Feb. 2007
Royal Caribbean Grandeur of the Seas Feb. 2008 The DTW & MsBJ tour
Carnival Valor MsBJ and Dina Feb. 2009
Carnival Glory MsBJ and Dina Feb. 2010
Carnival Dream MsBJ and Dina Feb. 2011
Old October 2nd, 2006, 01:17 PM
Captain

A little Meth & you think that you can fly.....

Conquest .... Nov /03 (New Orleans)
Conquest .... Dec /05 (Galveston)
Celebration.. Sept /06 (Jacksonville)
Fantasy....... Dec/07 (New Orleans)
Splendor...... Nov. 29th, 2009

Splendor...... Nov. 28th, 2010 (booked)
Old October 2nd, 2006, 01:29 PM
Admiral

Carolin, this is recent. There is a paragraph on the news page of CM. Notice how we never hear anything about alcohol consumption when the victims are "last seen."

Am I wrong, in that, I don't think this needs to make the "news"? Everyday, there are people committing suicide, sad as that is. Proportion-to-ratio, there are very few who choose to end their lives onboard a ship. Maybe that is why the media feel it is newsworthy, but that aspect is never brought to light.
Mariner of the Seas

HAL Statendam Alaska Cruise Tour - 09/09/12; Disney Magic - 12/01/12; Allure of the Seas - 05/26/13
Old October 2nd, 2006, 01:47 PM
Admiral

For crying out loud. The report said she was SEEN jumping off her balcony.

I don't get it. What is up with these people? I feel bad for everyone but can you even imagine coming to your cabin and seeing that on your balcony?

Old October 2nd, 2006, 02:43 PM
Admiral

Send a message via MSN to Dave the Wave Send a message via Yahoo to Dave the Wave

Oct. 1, 2006, 8:30PM

Woman dies from fall on cruise ship in Gulf
Associated Press

GALVESTON — A 48-year-old woman died from a fall on a cruise ship operated by Carnival Corp., the company said.

The woman, whose name was not released by the cruise line, was seen jumping from one of the ship's upper outside decks and landing on a cabin balcony today, the Miami-based company said in a news release.

The ship, called the Carnival Conquest, was concluding a seven-day Caribbean cruise that made stops in Montego Bay, Grand Cayman and Cozumel. It returned to Galveston on Sunday.

The company said the woman was traveling with her spouse. Carnival did not provide any other details.

Cruise passenger John Bayer, of Purmela, said he could see the woman lying three levels below where he was on the ninth level. He said he did not see the woman's fall, which he said occurred about 3 p.m. as the ship was entering the Gulf of Mexico.

Carnival said it has notified authorities. The U.S. Coast Guard did not immediately return phone calls seeking details of its investigation.

Read and post cruise reviews

Song of America Dec '90
Starship Majestic May '89
Sovereign X 5
Majesty Jul '01
Enchantment X 4
Regal Empress Dec '02
Sensation '04
Mariner May '07 April '08
Grandeur Feb '08
Inspiration Oct '08
Radiance of the Seas Oct '10
Old October 2nd, 2006, 02:45 PM
Admiral

Send a message via MSN to Dave the Wave Send a message via Yahoo to Dave the Wave

Here is a little more. Some people who witnessed it.... Sounds like they should have been on Jerry Springer instead of a cruise. Appraently the boyfriend was doing her daughter who was also on the cruise.

Carnival Conquest -- September 30, 2006

I too was on the Conquest this past week. These are the details I was told. (Realize of course that there was a lot of rumors circulating and this is what I believed happened. I have talked to many people about this. But most of the information is third hand.)

A couple was on the lido deck (9) "fighting." Security was called. It appears that the male was her boy friend and they were "fighting" because he had tryst with her daughter who was also on board. They weren't fighting as much as he was trying to keep her from jumping. When security arrives, they assumed the man was fighting the woman and pulled the man off. The woman then jumped off the back of the ship. (Security evidently called the bridge at this time and this is when they turned hard. So hard that at least one pool flooded some cabins. I was told that this was the procedure when someone jumps so that the ship would try to avoid the body in the prop.)

The woman did not make it in the water. She landed in a cabin's balcony on deck 6 I did talk to some one who saw the blood and said there was lots of it. My sister also talked to a lady next door and she said she had blood run in to her balcony.

The ship gave a vague description over the intercom (even killing the sound on the TV's) and asked any witnesses to call the purser. They also called out a code when the event took place. I believe they said the room number where the lady landed then "blue star".

The scheduled events went on without interruption. (Which I believe they should.)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

We were aboard the Conquest when the death occured and actually saw the woman's body on the balcony. We were enroute to Deck 9 (Lido Deck) rear when the announcement came "Operation Bright Star Cabin 6547", then the ship made a sharp 90 degree turn, the water from the pool on back of the ship flooded the rear deck rapidly. As we entered the deck area, we heard a woman had jumped or fallen from Deck 10 off the back of the ship, but everyone thought she had gone overboard. We immediately proceeded to the windows on the back of the deck area and looked down, where at that time we noticed a woman with dark hair and approximately in her late 30's or early 40's, who at first glance appeared to be lying on her back on the balcony, then we noticed the growing blood pool coming from the back of her head. I personally could not bear to look any longer, but my husband obsevered enough to see a ship's officer and photographer near her body. Security and the ship's officers were able to close off ALL of the rear deck areas within about 10 to 15 minutes of the initial announcement. The cruise staff seemed to have handled the situation with the utmost professional attitude at the time.

Song of America Dec '90
Sovereign X 5
Majesty Jul '01
Enchantment X 4
Regal Empress Dec '02
Sensation '04
Grandeur Feb '08
Inspiration Oct '08
Old October 2nd, 2006, 02:56 PM
Admiral

Your right... Jerry Springer written all over it.

Old October 2nd, 2006, 04:25 PM
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to Luanne Russo

It is so sad to have people that don't seem to have hope. I hate it, but I also hate that it happened on "my ship"

I guess I care about what others feel, more than I do about what I feel. This effected not only her family, but all those passengers, who will forever be known as the cruise with a jumper.

If you should be reading this and are thinking of what to do on a cruise, please allow me to give you some common sense advice. This is for not only this women but those who have "disappeared" from ships in the past.

Don't drink past the point where you cannot help yourself.

Don't forget where you are, and become a victim.

Don't make someone mad at you on the balcony or on the railing of a ship. If someone helps you off the side of the ship, they call it a suicide, and sue Carnival, and get on TV for their 15 minutes of fame.

If you are so sad, that all you can think about is death, Please get help. Reach out to someone. Many of us care. You will be surprised at those who care.

If you have a group on your balcony, and have no place to sit, please drag a chair out there. The ledge is not a safe place.

Finally, Hollering "Look mom, no hands is not good."

Prayers to this womans family, and to the crew of the Conquest. They did desearve this.

Luanne
Conquest 2006
Conquest 2007
Ecstasy 2008
Valor B2B 2008

Conquest Virtual Cruise Topic Link
Old October 2nd, 2006, 09:26 PM
Admiral

This one was different. She didn't disappear quietly in the night. She made a spectacle of her self in the middle of the afternoon from a public area. I am sure this will be a cruise to remember for those onboard. I guess her boyfriend and daughter can now be together for the rest of the cruise.

Song of America Dec '90
Sovereign X 5
Majesty Jul '01
Enchantment X 4
Regal Empress Dec '02
Sensation '04
Grandeur Feb '08
Inspiration Oct '08
Old October 2nd, 2006, 09:32 PM
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to Luanne Russo

I am glad she didn't disappear. Having a body gives them more to work with. Takes away the wonder of what happened to her body.

Still very sad for life to be lost, especially like this.

Luanne
Conquest 2006
Conquest 2007
Ecstasy 2008
Valor B2B 2008

Conquest Virtual Cruise Topic Link
Old October 6th, 2006, 06:17 AM
Beginner

Very sad story and kind of spooky too. A large group of us will be onboard Conquest Oct 15th & have all those aft balconies. Sure hope they are not haunted now.