Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old October 3rd, 2006, 11:43 AM
Passenger

Default Passport Requirements

I see where the cruise industry lobby is trying to get the passport requirement backed up again. I thought that the passport requirements were for security concerns. Didn't know that the tourism industry had that much pull. As far as I can tell it is still in a bill form and there hasn't been any changes for the cruise lines though I'm sure that there will be some changes on the land travel side. If you haven't got your passport and plan on cruising next year you better get on down to the passport office and get your paper work in, or make sure that your travel insurance has a cancel for any reason clause in it as CCL will not allow you on the ship because they won't be able to get rid of you when the cruise is though.
Sponsored Links
Old October 3rd, 2006, 12:02 PM
Admiral

I guess I don't know why so many people are scared to get a passport. Its just another form of identification.

We live right across the river from Canada and will be required to have passports next year. Windsor is in a bit of a panic at the moment. They get a lot of kids who go across the border to party (legal drinking age 19), with the passport requirement thats going to put a halt on the money coming in.

I can see where the cruise industry would be scared.

Life is too short to let the ship of your dreams sail without you.

Carnival Destiny Feb. 2006
Carnival Fascination Feb. 2007
Royal Caribbean Grandeur of the Seas Feb. 2008 The DTW & MsBJ tour
Carnival Valor MsBJ and Dina Feb. 2009
Carnival Glory MsBJ and Dina Feb. 2010
Carnival Dream MsBJ and Dina Feb. 2011
Old October 3rd, 2006, 01:17 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Passport Requirements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey Troutt
I see where the cruise industry lobby is trying to get the passport requirement backed up again.
Got a link to a source for this?

SS Norway (12 times) '85 - '97; Radiance OS 06/01; Island Princess 11/04, Grand Princess 11/04/05, Golden Princess 7/21/06, Golden Princess 2/24/07, Explorer of the Seas 12/23/07, Island Princess 11/15/08
Old October 3rd, 2006, 01:28 PM
Admiral

This is what is posted on the CM news:

http://www.cruisemates.com/articles/news/#story12
Mariner of the Seas

HAL Statendam Alaska Cruise Tour - 09/09/12; Disney Magic - 12/01/12; Allure of the Seas - 05/26/13
Old October 3rd, 2006, 01:38 PM
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to mteague

8) Cool, just saved $500.00 on passport fees for my cruise in May 2007. This is the only time we leave the country, so why bother with the expense and hassle if you don't have to! I feel richer already!
Old October 3rd, 2006, 02:01 PM
Admiral

mstill - sorry to burst your bubble but you will need a passport for your upcoming May 2007 cruise.
This is a quote from the government's web site- " on January 8, 2007, passengers and crew aboard "commercial vessels" would need to possess a valid passport when arriving in the United Stated from a foreign port or place."
go to www.travel.state.gov for the official information.
Old October 3rd, 2006, 02:08 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by ready2gonow
This is what is posted on the CM news:

http://www.cruisemates.com/articles/news/#story12
I am aware of H.R. 5441. What I am looking for is a link that says that the cruise industry was behind this.

SS Norway (12 times) '85 - '97; Radiance OS 06/01; Island Princess 11/04, Grand Princess 11/04/05, Golden Princess 7/21/06, Golden Princess 2/24/07, Explorer of the Seas 12/23/07, Island Princess 11/15/08
Old October 3rd, 2006, 02:21 PM
Admiral

I found this article in the Houston Chronicle.

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/...s/4231481.html

Old October 3rd, 2006, 02:29 PM
Admiral

I guess cruisemates news is incorrect. This is posted on the news page

Quote:
10-02-06
Cruisers Get Passport Reprieve
The International Council of Cruise Lines is reporting that Congress has passed a provision that will delay the passport requirement for cruisers going to the Mexico, Canada and the Caribbean until a new form of identification (called the PASScard) can be initiated, or June 1, 2009, whichever comes first.

According to Christine Fischer of the ICCL, this delay will apply to cruise passengers traveling by sea, but for people traveling to these destinations by air the deadline for passport requirement, Jan. 8, 2007, is still in force.

The delay was added at the last minute to the FY2007 Homeland Security Appropriations bill (H.R. 5441), approved by Congress this week.
I'm still keeping my $500.00 in my pocket because I think this bill will be signed. I've read on several other websites about the lack of scanning equipment for the new passports. Those sites suggested delays as well. I think I can wait until December to apply if I have to. Besides, I really don't need another bad photo ID!
Old October 3rd, 2006, 02:35 PM
Admiral

Bush will sign it because it is an appropriations bill that contains funding for a whole slew of agencies.

Too bad the Line Item Veto was ruled unconstitutional.

Old October 3rd, 2006, 02:38 PM
Admiral

Well it works for me!
Old October 3rd, 2006, 02:54 PM
Administrator
Admiral

I still say get the passport but have given up on saying when.

I believe the Caribbean tourism industry and the ICCL (International Council of Cruise Lines) have a lot of lobbying weight in Washington and truthfully implementing this could have an impact on the industry and there are other negative issues that have affected the cruise lines bottom line and any additional problems with lower bookings could cause a major problem with the industry. This could hurt a lot of investors and many others.

I wonder if the cruise lines and Caribbean Tourism Board would get a percent of all passport revenues, of people who purchased passports for cruises, if they would have as much of a problem with it?

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old October 3rd, 2006, 03:25 PM
Admiral

Mike, our country is run by a bunch a wusses who like the buck more than what is good for America.

I don't care if the ships leave 10% full because folks did not get a passport. They had plenty of time and notice to do so.

This Passport Card is a disguise just to push the date out.

Old October 3rd, 2006, 03:36 PM
Admiral

Send a message via MSN to Dave the Wave Send a message via Yahoo to Dave the Wave

I am all for it. I checked and it is $97 for me and $82 for my kids each. That is $261 more towards my cruise. When the time comes, I will get them. For now, DL and BC works. 8)

Read and post cruise reviews

Song of America Dec '90
Starship Majestic May '89
Sovereign X 5
Majesty Jul '01
Enchantment X 4
Regal Empress Dec '02
Sensation '04
Mariner May '07 April '08
Grandeur Feb '08
Inspiration Oct '08
Radiance of the Seas Oct '10
Old October 3rd, 2006, 05:09 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Irish:

My personal opinion is that you are correct. We need to take a stand and enforce the passport ruling and make it stick. The cruise lines need to work together and get first time cruisers and repeat passengers on their ships even if they have to have a passport. It's called Marketing and it's good for the whole industry.

I personally believe that everyone should have a passport if they are going to leave the country and sail to another one, even Mexico or the Caribbean.

I do also feel that the cruise industry isn't in the best shape right now and needs all the people on the ships it can get. Did they dig their own hole? They probably did. The bad part is that many investors and agents will go down with them if something happens as it did six years ago. No one wants to see that again, even if it means cheap cruises.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

Old October 4th, 2006, 07:12 AM
Passenger

Irish,
I suppose that I jumped the gun when I stated that it was just the cruise industry alone that was pushing to back up the passport requirement time. Sorry, it's just that I've seen this announcement a couple of times in the past few days and it's always on a cruise related site.
Its just a tad bit of venting on my part. I can see in some of the post where some have taken the wait and see attitude. The government has told us for over a year that this is the date that you will need a passport to re-enter the US. Now for some reason (cruise line pressure, or whatever) we need extra time to rethink the plan. Sorta makes the original stated reason for doing this (security, illegal immigration) a moot point. The old saying that money talks and BS walks is evident here.
I feel for those that find it a hardship to pay for the processing of a passport. But somewhere we gotta take a stand and say yeah or nay.....
Old October 4th, 2006, 09:49 AM
Passenger

The Intelligence Reform and Terrorism Prevention Act of 2004 requires that by January 1, 2008, travelers to and from the Caribbean, Bermuda, Panama, Mexico and Canada have a passport or other secure, accepted document to enter or re-enter the United States. In order to facilitate the implementation of this requirement, the Administration is proposing to complete it in phases following a proposed timeline, which will be published in the Federal Register in the near future.

In the proposed implementation plan, which is subject to a period of initial public comment, the Initiative will be rolled out in phases, providing as much advance notice as possible to the affected public to enable them to meet the terms of the new guidelines. The proposed timeline will be as follows:

January 8, 2007 - Requirement applied to all air and sea travel to or from Canada, Mexico, Central and South America, the Caribbean, and Bermuda.
January 1, 2008 - Requirement extended to all land border crossings as well as air and sea travel.
This is a change from prior travel requirements and will affect all United States citizens entering the United States from countries within the Western Hemisphere who do not currently possess valid passports. This new requirement will also affect certain foreign nationals who currently are not required to present a passport to travel to the United States. Most Canadian citizens, citizens of the British Overseas Territory of Bermuda, and to a lesser degree, Mexican citizens will be affected by the implementation of this requirement.

http://travel.state.gov/travel/cbpmc/cbpmc_2223.html
Old October 4th, 2006, 12:41 PM
Admiral

Ok I am confused do you or do you not need a passport in 2007 to sail say, on the thanksgiving group cruise? I understand the ease of having a passport but I kind of feel that getting them for 5 of us totaling about $600-$700 just to take one cruise every year or 2 is not worth it. Maybe the idea of a passcard is good if it is aimed at the occasional traveler and/or cruisers period. Most of your time is spent on the ship. I feel the need for a passport just to spend a few hours say in cozumel is a bit much.
Old October 4th, 2006, 01:11 PM
Admiral

I've never been without a passport. Living next to Canada, its just easier when going across the border.

Old October 4th, 2006, 01:27 PM
Admiral

rescuedad, if things stay the way they are, you will need a passport after 1/8/07. I know the initial outlay of money seems steep but if you break it down it isn't that bad. A passport is good for 10 years for anyone over the age of 16, i don't know how much passports are now, but I think around $100.00. That's 10 bucks a year for THE most acceptable form of identification worldwide. You will only realize how valuable your passport is, if for any reason you need to LEAVE a foreign country quickly to get home for an emergency. If you don't have a passport you have to jump through all kinds of red tape loops to get permission to leave some countries.
Regardless if the initiative takes place in 2007, 2008 or whenever, the time is coming that every citizen of the United States will need a passport to travel anywhere to get out and to get back into the country.
Old October 4th, 2006, 01:32 PM
Admiral

Well I guess that's the difference...I'm from Louisiana. I would have to drive a LONG way to get to another country. When you hit that Texas line, I think it's over 700 miles to El Paso. Way too much drive time for me. Flying too..we stay close to home.

Joey and Mike just assume it's a hardship to pay for a passport. Some of us just really don't need one if we can get by with DL & BC for a cruise every 2 or 3 years. The last time I was out of the USA, other than a cruise, was a day trip to Canada in 1974 when I visited New York. Prior to that, my last trip out of the country was in 1969 to Belgium. Back then kids could be on the same passport as their parents, so Mom's picture included her and five kids! I don't think I would use it more than twice in the ten years it is valid. I had to present the same documents to get my DL as I need for a passport. What's the diff?
Old October 4th, 2006, 01:33 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by rescuedad
Ok I am confused do you or do you not need a passport in 2007 to sail say, on the thanksgiving group cruise? I understand the ease of having a passport but I kind of feel that getting them for 5 of us totaling about $600-$700 just to take one cruise every year or 2 is not worth it. Maybe the idea of a passcard is good if it is aimed at the occasional traveler and/or cruisers period. Most of your time is spent on the ship. I feel the need for a passport just to spend a few hours say in cozumel is a bit much.
"The last-minute revision, which was inserted into a Homeland Security Dept. appropriations bill, delays implementation until June 1, 2009 the requirement for passports for land crossings at the Canadian and Mexican borders and for cruise passengers returning to the U.S. from Mexico, the Caribbean, Canada or Bermuda through the same date. All U.S. citizens, however, will need passports for travel by air starting Jan. 8, 2007, as previously proposed."

http://www.pways.com/pages/08222006_337.html

Old October 4th, 2006, 01:44 PM
Admiral

Irish Shark - Thank you for the information.

mstill - The difference is 9/11. We don't live in that world anymore.

Old October 4th, 2006, 02:23 PM
Passenger

msstill,
You make a good point. And I know that this gonna have fellow posters groaning, but here goes anyway. Say that you and the family decided to go on a hunting/fishing trip to another state. You decide that you won't buy the license because I'm just gonna do this one time. You get caught, luckily you just get a court date and a fine.

Let's say that your on St Martin after Jan 8th 2007 and someone in you group has a accident and requires medivac back to the US because of the seriousness of the accident. The flight requirements are still saying that you have to have a passport to re-enter. What are you gonna do now?

I know that this a stupid for instance, apples to grapes ect. Things happen on a cruise and I'll wager that it won't be a month after the new system kicks in that something like this happens. And yes I know the US government will hopefully use its head and allow the injured back in but what about the family or those others in the group. Do they make them re-enter from the ship?

As for the hunting/fishing license story, you know you need them so you figure the cost in on your trip. Why not do the same with a passport?

Just my opinion.........
Old October 4th, 2006, 03:37 PM
Admiral

I understand the need for a passport and was unaware they were good for 10 years. Someone suggested getting 1 a month so the cost is deferred since I may not cruise until november 07. I would cruise more often if we were able to book IC's but since our first cruise was in the PH suite my wife can't imagine sailing without doing this and after seeing an IC I can't imagine sailing in one with my 3 all-boy boys if you know what I mean. I hate the added cost of passports for this cruise.
Old October 4th, 2006, 04:05 PM
Passenger

I hear that RD.....

My DW is rather addicted to the balcony levels herself (so am I) It would be hard to imagine an inside cabin with 5 in it. Take a #,take a seat for bathroom would be bad enuff.

You know somewhere down the line we are gonna have to do something abotu the passport/national ID thing. I would have liked to have seen your kids grow up in the world that we did but its not gonna happen. There are people and nations out there that mean us no good. We need to have a way of ID'ing folks as they enter our shores. Of course I'm not silly enuff to believe that its gonna stop everything but if it just makes those folks just stop for a bit and take notice that we are trying to tighten the entrance that will help.

As for DL's and BC's, we have 50 states which issue DL's and I dare say that there are no 2 alike. I can imagine a customs agent trying to decide if this is a fake or the real thing. At least with the new passport system there will only be 2 (Those with ID chip and those without, as soon as the old ones expire the ID chips will be placed in all passports).

I too am sure that this is a hardship on many. It seems like everytime there is change there is hardship on someone. My father hated it when the US went to daylight savings time. Once he realized that that was the way it was gonna be he just ran his clock up. I know that its not the same thing but it still was change and one day in the near future when you leave the boundries of the US you are gonna have to have a US government issued ID to re-enter.......

I'll get off my soap box now
Old October 5th, 2006, 06:00 PM
Admiral

Joey, you make a valid point about illness, I really had never thought of it like that. I'm thinking ...I'm on a boat, going on a cruise, having a great time. Now I'm thinking about the kidney stones my husband still has left in his body. I might get the passports.

As far as the fishing thing, I can't relate. I don't fish, hunt or (heaven forbid!) CAMP OUT. Not my cup of tea.

Now about this smoking thing.....NAH just joking!!!!
Old October 6th, 2006, 01:22 AM
Passenger

Noooooo, don't do that mstill...... I didn't mean to ruin your cruise. I was just trying to make a point.

I can feel everyones pain about the price of the passport, especially when I'm the one that is writting the check. Of course I felt the same pain when I wrote out the check for the insurance policy for my cruise. In many ways the passport is a insurance policy also. Though you just have to pay the premium once every 10 years. You hope you don't have to use either but if you need it you got it.

Now what do we need to chat about on the smoking issue Ooopppps forget I said that
Old October 6th, 2006, 08:26 AM
Admiral

Joey - i love your analogy about a passport being like an insurance policy that you only have to renew every 10 years, that is a great way to look at it.
The new rules if they pass will not effect AIR travel, so if you are in a foreign port and you must fly home due to a family emergency,for example you could be denied air passage because you did not have a passport.
There is no official posting on the US Government web site as of this time.
If you want to check on it go to: www.travel.state.gov
Old October 6th, 2006, 09:00 AM
Administrator
Admiral

Joey:

You have done an excellent job explaining this and your hunting analogy was right on.

If you miss the ship, in a foreign port, due to illness or other circumstances, you will really wish you had that passport. It could mean the difference between hours and days before you get home or until you get back to the ship.

Always take the photocopy with you when you go ashore.

Take care,
Mike