Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old October 3rd, 2006, 02:15 PM
Passenger

Default Teenager and timing

We are sailing on Elation Oct. 23. Our sixteen year old daughter will be going with us. Could anyone tell me if there will be many teens on a cruise this time of year?
Sponsored Links
Old October 3rd, 2006, 02:38 PM
Admiral

No way to tell as it depends on how many parents jerk thier kids out of school.

SS Norway (12 times) '85 - '97; Radiance OS 06/01; Island Princess 11/04, Grand Princess 11/04/05, Golden Princess 7/21/06, Golden Princess 2/24/07, Explorer of the Seas 12/23/07, Island Princess 11/15/08
Old October 3rd, 2006, 02:51 PM
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to mteague

My senior would pitch a fit if we scheduled a trip during school. If she isn't absent, she can exempt three exams. Physics is kicking her butt! She only has 5 classes with one being a PE class for the dance team. She hopes to avoid all exams except one! We can hope!

We really should have a teen message board so they can talk and get all the information before they cruise! I can hear it now!!! "Like, you know, it's gonna be soo much fun! We like leave on October 23rd! Like when are you goin?" Teens have unique interests and I'm sure they can share their cruise experiences with their peers in a way we can't.

OOPS! I just checked and there is a teen message board under the "People" section! See cruisemates thought of everything!
Old October 3rd, 2006, 03:28 PM
Passenger

I guess some of you have children who go to schools that have no breaks during the school year! I am not "jerking" my child out of school! This cruise was planned around her fall break. If this is the type of judgemental responses I can expect here, I guess I need not ask anymore questions!
Old October 3rd, 2006, 03:35 PM
Admiral

Wow, touch a nerve? No harm was intended.

And not there were no school breaks for my kids in October. Heck they just started school in September.

A day or two at Thanksgiving, but not enough time for a crusie. Time off for Christmas and time for a cruise then.

On all the cruises that I took my kids on (and yes about 8 of them), I jerked them out of school.

SS Norway (12 times) '85 - '97; Radiance OS 06/01; Island Princess 11/04, Grand Princess 11/04/05, Golden Princess 7/21/06, Golden Princess 2/24/07, Explorer of the Seas 12/23/07, Island Princess 11/15/08
Old October 3rd, 2006, 03:39 PM
Passenger

Well I am jerking my kid out of school, she is 16, and the way I feel is how much longer will she be around? We want to enjoy the rest of the time me and her father have with her before she starts her own life. To me this is making very special memories for her. Plus she will only be missing 3 days worth of classes they way her high school does the blocking.

Caribbean All Inclusive Resorts
Truimph 5/03
Old October 3rd, 2006, 03:47 PM
Admiral

What I did was to ask to take the kids out of school and explained that it was an educational experience. (I jerked them out for other trips in addition to cruises.) I made a deal with the teachers that all three would do all reading and homework assignments while they were not in school.

Additionally, they had to do a paper on some aspect of the trip that contained a historical learning experience for them.

Teachers were happy and so were the kids.

Old October 3rd, 2006, 03:53 PM
Passenger

Sorry if I overreacted, but I was given grief about this by a family member who did not know she had a fall break.

I would probably let her miss a day or two if necessary though because she is a very good student and like Pegsue said, how much longer will she be around and want to go with us?

Again sorry for the over reaction.....
School began Aug. 4th this year.
Old October 3rd, 2006, 04:03 PM
Admiral

I guess the term "jerk" is what did it. Maybe "take out" would have been better?

Old October 3rd, 2006, 04:03 PM
Passenger

hey no problem here. School here didn't start until after labor day. We did want to do it alone, because its also our 20th wedding anniversay. But we were thinking about how much we would miss her! Plus her birthday is right around the corner. Her Birthday June 6th, hubby's birthday June 16, wedding anniversay June 19th. May was so much cheaper to cruise than when she got out of school. Its like a 2 for 1 sale and who can deny a 2 for 1? 8)

Caribbean All Inclusive Resorts
Truimph 5/03
Old October 3rd, 2006, 08:35 PM
Beginner

as a teen, and a senior in high school, i can't believe your daughter would be mad if you pulled her out. i also can't believe that they have to be present and have no absences to exempt exams. we get to exempt given we're passing!
personally i'm thrilled that i get to miss some days for a cruise this fall! my mom, whom i dont live with is letting me go with them on a thanksgiving cruise on the glory. its a week long cruise while we have 3 school days off but i'm still gonna miss 3 or 4 days.
but i def. see where georgia lady driver is coming from. i hope theres a good many, well i guess quality rather than quantity, teens on our cruise too! have fun cruising!
Old October 3rd, 2006, 08:48 PM
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to Luanne Russo

Yes, there will be teens on board. It might be even better than in the summer, because it will be enough to make it fun.

Have a great cruise!!

Luanne
Conquest 2006
Conquest 2007
Ecstasy 2008
Valor B2B 2008

Conquest Virtual Cruise Topic Link
Old October 3rd, 2006, 10:30 PM
Admiral

Hang in there Irish Shark
Old October 4th, 2006, 01:19 PM
Admiral

So sorry!

Gee Georgia, I was just trying to share why I wouldn't be able to do it. I'm sure there are many school districts with different schedules. I was just pointing out why some teens may not be on board.

I think your question asked about other kids. I think I suggested the teen board. I guess I'll just slink back into my snake hole...
Old October 4th, 2006, 01:51 PM
Passenger

I would like to apologize for overreacting in Teen and Timing thread. It's like I posted, I guess it was because of the hassle I got from a family member about it before they knew she was out of school. So maybe I was being a little (or maybe alot ) over sensitive. I appreciate you guys trying to help!

So again i'm sorry, and I will try not to react so quickly next time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mstill
So sorry!

Gee Georgia, I was just trying to share why I wouldn't be able to do it. I'm sure there are many school districts with different schedules. I was just pointing out why some teens may not be on board.

I think your question asked about other kids. I think I suggested the teen board. I guess I'll just slink back into my snake hole...
Old October 4th, 2006, 10:46 PM
Passenger

My wife and I are taking our teen daughter on the Conquest in November. She will miss a week of school! Her school will let her make up any missed assignments. We all can't schedule our vacations in the summer! We went last year in Oct. and there were about eight kids involved in camp carnival that were her age. She had a fantastic time!
Old October 4th, 2006, 11:13 PM
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to Luanne Russo

Let me give a few words of wisdom about this taking kids out of school thing. When I first saw a thread like this, I was clearly on the side of not taking kids out of school, but what most of you don't know is that every state, every city, every district across this country is different.

Texas is for example a very progressive state. learning moves fast, and in fact if a student is absent for a week, there is special funding to help the child get caught up. But, It is not for people who need a vacation during the school year. Some states are so slow, it takes nothing to get caught up. Some states have gone to year round school, and have a winter break.

My point is that there is no way we can judge someones situation.

Here, the first day of an absence, call in by 7:30 to report it. 2nd day, you better have a doctors note. Day three, you better have a good excuse.

We live in a small town, and so I know our local judge. He sees many a parent throughout the year, for students who have unexcused absents. I would love to be in the room on the day a parent says"I took him or her on vacation."

Luanne
Conquest 2006
Conquest 2007
Ecstasy 2008
Valor B2B 2008

Conquest Virtual Cruise Topic Link
Old October 5th, 2006, 05:34 PM
Admiral

No problem Georgia. I can understand why you were a little touchy about the situation. Go on your cruise and have a great time! I'm sure your daughter will meet people her age!