Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old October 12th, 2006, 07:06 PM
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to Luanne Russo

Within two hours, we were at the parking lot of the Falls. You can see how popular the excursion is, because even then, the parking lot was getting full. We were met by another tour guide, and she is the one who took us down to the falls, which by the way we couldn't see, and we couldn't hear them. We walked for a little while until we came to the ticket window, and then another guide started with us. Our tickets were already paid, so our guide just handed the cashier our money. At this counter is where you can rent water shoes, because as I said, you can not do the falls without them. As we walk a little further, we started hearing something that we though was the falls. It also started getting very humid. Up to this point, we had not seen water at all. As we came in sight of the falls, we had to take the hand of those in front of us, and those in back. We had to go to the beach area first, and then loop around to get to the bottom of the falls. The first thing I noticed was it was where they taped the James Bond movie. It still looks like the spot after all these years. (They also did part of it, in a place called James Bond Beach) The first thing you notice is the water is ice cold! Soon as you get use to it, though, it feels so good. The next thing you do is look up, and say to your self, or like me out loud,"I can't climb this" I swear it looked straight up. There were also guides all over the place here too. They have on bright yellow shirts, so you can't miss them. I don't know how long it took us to climb, and at one point I thought I couldn't go any further, but I made it. There is a walk way along side of the falls where you can get out and walk, but only one person did that, as far as I could tell.
Conquest 2006
Conquest 2007
Ecstasy 2008
Valor B2B 2008

Conquest Virtual Cruise Topic Link
Old October 12th, 2006, 07:27 PM
Admiral

Now for some, climbing the falls was fun and games, but for some of us, it was serious business. The guide for your chain, tells the first person, and they are suppose to turn around and tell the next person which rocks had been cleaned. Our chain didn't talk well, so I put my youngest ahead of me, and I let him test the rocks. The rocks get slimy from the water running over them, so in the mornings, these guides get out there and scrub these rocks. (How would you like to put that on your resume.) Of course that is the trick. They don't do them all, so they have to remember which ones have been done.

What I forgot to mention was that I met this nice young man on the bus, who was traveling alone. We got to talking and he told me that he was hired by Carnival to go on different excursions, to video tape the event, and then they are sold on the ship, later. By the time we got to the falls, I knew all about him(Yea, it's southern for me to ask) and he had taken a liking to me. He could not do the falls, because he had a broken foot. Guess how he broke it? He took his water shoes off, to get better shots, and fell and broke it. See, I told you!!! The reason he took them off, is in some places the water is so fast that it will cause you to loose your footing, which is why they say not to wear tennis shoes, because the water can't run out as fast. he thought he could get a more steady shots if he could grip the rocks with his feet. For those of you who have cruised before, you know when they do the video on the ship, you always look to see if your in it. Well, guess what being nice to young men will get you. The video was of me. All of it. Oh, he would take pictures of others, but there he would go back at me. We bought it, but I have never seen it again. The trouble with the tape was they showed it the entire cruise on the stateroom TV's I was a hag looking star. Most of the time you could see hubby behind me pushing on my butt, like I was some sort of donkey. It was not my finest hour.
Conquest 2006
Conquest 2007
Ecstasy 2008
Valor B2B 2008

Old October 12th, 2006, 08:14 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luanne
Most of the time you could see hubby behind me pushing on my butt, like I was some sort of donkey. It was not my finest hour.
!

Seriously, we did the Dunn's River Falls excursion. I took ONE look and knew there was NO way I could do this climb! Unless you are in good physical condition, opt for walking up the walkway and enjoy watching the others climb ! Or, as Luanne said, there are several places where you can get out of the falls and continue on solid ground ! There will also be young men who will offer to take your picture with your camera. We tipped a couple of dollars and our "photographer" followed us all the way up!

I'm waiting... for Luanne to tell us about the top of the Falls !

I'd also recommend that you do this shore excursion if you're docked at Ocho Rios, otherwise it's a long drive from Montego Bay!

Luanne, I'm still enjoying your "cruise"!

"A truly happy person is one who can enjoy the scenery on a detour."

Carnival Inspiration 2002 Carnival Elation 2004
Grand Princess 2004 NCL Sun 2005
Sun Princess 2006 NCL Dream 2007
Caribbean Princess 2007 NCL Dawn 2008
Island Princess 2008 Island Princess 2009
Golden Princess 2009 Carnival Conquest 2010
Grand Princess 2010 Island Princess 2011
Grand Princess 2011 Carnival Magic 2012
Carnival Dream 2012 Island Princess 2013
Carnival Magic 2013 Carnival Legend 2014
Old October 12th, 2006, 08:44 PM
Passenger

Default Get play by play!!!

Hi Luanne,
Great hearing about your trip step by step. We are going on the Conquest Dec.31/06. Even though this will be our 6th cruise we are enjoying reading your daily post - I feel like I am on the cruise with you!!!
Keep writing, it is informative.
Old October 12th, 2006, 10:43 PM
Admiral

At the top of the falls is another experience totally. I am trying to figure out how to explain it, without scaring all of you, which might cause you to miss the falls all together, and that would be a shame. At the top of the falls is a little shopping area. Those trying to sale their stuff will meet you as soon as you come out of the falls area. You are on your way back to the bus, and you can go two ways. One goes down to the shops, and the other is I believe to the left, that will take you sooner. For those you meet out of the falls, do not talk to them, except to say No Thank you. Do not listen to them, no matter what they offer. They will offer you jewelry, drugs, carvings, etc. You do not want any of it. Keep walking. You will be away from them very soon. Once you get to the parking lot you will be fine. Do not go to the shopping area. Go to the bus. Watch your bag. Stay together. Also do not buy the video that the man is taping as you go up the falls. I am not talking about the one on the bus, that is hired by Carnival. This is an independent guy, who will tell you that he will meet you at your bus with your tape. It is a scam. You will get a case with a nice picture on it, and a CD inside, which once you get to where you can view it, you will discover that you have music, and a little footage of the falls, with you not in it. These are made who knows when, which is why he is able to "burn so many copies so soon." Again, this is not hearsay. The man that was with us, was telling everyone to pose for him, only the light on the camera was not on at the time. He expects you to not be observant. The one guy who bought one on our cruise, got a chance to see it, and it was as I explained.
Conquest 2006
Conquest 2007
Ecstasy 2008
Valor B2B 2008

Old October 12th, 2006, 10:58 PM
Admiral

Okay, that is done. On the way back, our guide had brought along some show and tell stuff. Different leaves, and fruit from Jamaica. It was very interesting. On the way back we stopped at that same shop, and guess what? the guys had finished cooking. It smelled like what heaven would be. It was jerk chicken, and ribs, and stuff. I don't know if it was because we were so tired and hungry or it was just good, but that was the best chicken. Just as we got back into Montego Bay, we stopped at a strip mall. It is called City Center, and they even offer a tour of it. It's junk. Very expensive junk. Either stay on the bus, or stay close. The bathrooms are up staires. Do not go alone. Take someone with you.
We left there very soon, and went back to the ship. I did not realize how tired I was until we got back. After you get on the ship, go where you can look over the the ship at the dock. There should be a marching band their made up of mostly kids. We threw coins to them, and they have these little bags to catch them in. It was a feel good moment.
Conquest 2006
Conquest 2007
Ecstasy 2008
Valor B2B 2008

Old October 12th, 2006, 11:21 PM
Admiral

Tonight after we got cleaned up and went to get something to eat, we went to the magic show. It was okay. Not great, but okay. I also notice that tonight the Internet is 50% off. Except for the teens, everything else on the ship was pretty laid back. Blue's music in the bar, Jazz in the bar, and if you could stay awake long enough, Bathrobe bingo at 11:00. By that time, I was probably asleep. I also notice that this was the night of the free trip bingo. Someone always wins, but sadly never me.

Okay, A couple of things before we say good night. You loose track of time on a cruise ship. If it wasn't for having to get to a show, or dinner on time, you probably would lose all track. Before you realize it, it is late. Also remember that you have three ports of call in a row. If you don't rest (take a nap) you will wear yourself out, and not have as good a time. Tomorrow is Grand Cayman, maybe..........

Special Note: Thank you to those who have encouraged me to do this. I didn't want to write another review, because most of the time, people writing reviews are so tired, they just want to get it over with. I did not however realize how much I had to say. What I have tried to do is to give you a complete outline of your cruise, and give you a chance to see what it might be like for you. No matter what ship you will be taking, most of what I have said applies to all ships. The excursions might be different, but cruise life will not be. Also remember that cruising is what you make it. If you get on that ship, looking for bad, you will find it. If you say Damn I am cruising, you will have so much fun.
Conquest 2006
Conquest 2007
Ecstasy 2008
Valor B2B 2008

Old October 13th, 2006, 09:44 AM
Admiral

I want to finish this up today, so let's get started.

The next morning you arrive in Grand Cayman, and as I said maybe.... I have been on the Conquest twice, and only been to Grand Cayman 1 and a half times. The first time, we got to the island, but could not tender, because of rough seas. As I have read reviews since then, I see that more than a few times, they were unable to go as well.

Grand Cayman is the home of the off shore banks you often hear about in movies and the news. At one time, it had more banks than people. This is a very clean island, but very expensive. If you are short of cash, or are on a budget, you might want to stick to buy a tee shirt.

The best excursion here is the sting rays. It is so much fun, that we plan on doing it again this next cruise.

The next day is Cozumel. I guess this is my favorite port. It should be, because in the last year, I have been there four times. We did two ships back to back last Christmas, and went to Cozumel twice in one week. I also have e-mail contacts there, so I have been able to see the new growth after the big storm on a personal level.

My favorite excursion was and still is the Jet boats offered by Carnival. It doesn't actually go to Coz, but over to Playa de Carmen, and on to Cancun. This is the most exciting trip we have taken. Look into it, if you get the chance.

The last sea day before you get back to Galveston, is a tough one for me. It is of course a sea day, and if I am not careful I get depressed. Cruising has truly been a blessing for my little family. It has brought us closer together, and given us something to do as a family in a time, when my little birds are about to fly from the nest.

The last night, before you dock in Galveston, they will ask you to pack your bags, and place them outside your door, before going to bed. Unless you plan to take your own bags off the ship the next morning. We have only thought of doing self assist once, and laughed and said NO at the same time. It is just to easy to let them handle it.

On the last day are the big sales, on the ship. Don't buy a tee shirt or booze until the last day, because they throw all of it on sale. But, if you see something that you can not do without, buy it when you see it. I collect figurines of dolphins, and they are not always in stock, so I have to buy early. The sales girl for the last ones I bought sold them to me for the sale price that was going to happen later in the week. She said that it doesn't hurt to ask if there is a sale planned on what you want.

Getting off the ship in Galveston takes patience. Try to get out of your room that morning, as early as possible. Remember the Stewards need to get it ready for the next cruisers. Go to one of the dinning rooms and have a nice breakfast, and then find a place to hang out until they call your floor to leave.

As I said, I hope you have enjoyed my Virtual cruise. It was fun to re live the memories, but now it is time for you to make your own.

Happy Cruising

Luanne

Conquest 2006
Conquest 2007
Ecstasy 2008
Valor B2B 2008

Old October 13th, 2006, 03:29 PM
Cruise Maniac

Thanks Luanne had a wonderful trip with you. My first time on the Western side, you made it enjoyable. Lets do the Eastern next time!
Old October 13th, 2006, 03:30 PM
Admiral

Thanks Sandi I enjoyed it too.

Luanne
Conquest 2006
Conquest 2007
Ecstasy 2008
Valor B2B 2008

Old October 13th, 2006, 03:33 PM
Cruise Maniac

Luanne - Thanks for the virtual cruise. We are sailing next February on the Conquest and you have helped to get the excitement building. My husband and I are avid cruisers and achieved platinum status on the Legend last year. We are looking forward now to escaping the Canadian winter and enjoying your great state for a few days beforehand.
Old October 13th, 2006, 03:43 PM
Admiral

Thank you MJM. I hope your experience on the Conquest will be as good as ours.

Luanne
Conquest 2006
Conquest 2007
Ecstasy 2008
Valor B2B 2008

Old October 13th, 2006, 08:40 PM
Admiral

Hi Luanne,

Your "virtual cruise" has been wonderful!

The only thing I have to disagree with is the shopping at the top of the Falls.

Quote:
At the top of the falls is a little shopping area. Those trying to sale their stuff will meet you as soon as you come out of the falls area. You are on your way back to the bus, and you can go two ways. One goes down to the shops, and the other is I believe to the left, that will take you sooner. For those you meet out of the falls, do not talk to them, except to say No Thank you. Do not listen to them, no matter what they offer. They will offer you jewelry, drugs, carvings, etc. You do not want any of it.
It very well may have been different when you cruised, but we found the vendors there to be friendly and NOT overly aggressive (most vendors in Jamaica are very aggressive). I collect owls, and found a couple of "homemade" owls there for very reasonable prices. If you want to walk through, but don't want to buy anything, just say "no thank you" and keep walking!

"A truly happy person is one who can enjoy the scenery on a detour."

Carnival Inspiration 2002 Carnival Elation 2004
Grand Princess 2004 NCL Sun 2005
Sun Princess 2006 NCL Dream 2007
Caribbean Princess 2007 NCL Dawn 2008
Island Princess 2008 Island Princess 2009
Golden Princess 2009 Carnival Conquest 2010
Grand Princess 2010 Island Princess 2011
Grand Princess 2011 Carnival Magic 2012
Carnival Dream 2012 Island Princess 2013
Carnival Magic 2013 Carnival Legend 2014
Old October 13th, 2006, 09:03 PM
Admiral

Thank you for adding that Fern. We had a rough time, and was advised to go the short way back. See what you miss.....
Conquest 2006
Conquest 2007
Ecstasy 2008
Valor B2B 2008

Old October 15th, 2006, 10:19 AM
Cruise Maniac

Thanks for the tour Luanne! Not much longer for us and we will be doing our doc dance!
Old October 15th, 2006, 02:48 PM
Familiar Face

I'm reading and thouroughly enjoying
Old October 16th, 2006, 01:36 AM
Familiar Face

Thank you Luanne for that, it was GREAT!
Old October 16th, 2006, 08:32 AM
Admiral

Thank you guys. I wanted to do something, so that all would have lots of info. If you have other questions, please let me know.

Luanne
Conquest 2006
Conquest 2007
Ecstasy 2008
Valor B2B 2008

Old October 16th, 2006, 10:42 AM
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to mteague

Great job Luanne! I enjoyed it immensely! I can't wait for our trip on the Conquest.
Old October 16th, 2006, 12:11 PM
Passenger

Default virtual tour

thanks for that i just got back sept 16th from my first cruise on the glory it was great but i had forgot to keep a journal so i could tell the family everything that happened so you really helped to remember some things i had a great time traveling with you hope to do it again and keep your fingers crossed meet a great guy on the ship we are emailing hope things keep going we'll and i might go visit him soon
Old October 16th, 2006, 09:04 PM
Admiral

Thanks everyone. I hope others will read it, because I was careful to add as much info as I could that might make a first time cruise more enjoyable.

Luanne
Conquest 2006
Conquest 2007
Ecstasy 2008
Valor B2B 2008

Old November 14th, 2006, 12:35 AM
Passenger

Luanne, thanks for such a fantastic virtual tour. We are booked on the Conquest on May 13, 2007. The two youngest kids will just have finished their college spring semester and our oldest will be meeting us in Houston as he flies in from Phoenix.

I have a few comments about the Dunn's River Falls. First, I totally agree with your recommendation to bypass the shops at the top. When you are leaving the falls, the walkway will come to a "Y." You came from the left when you entered the park and are "encouraged" to bear to the right thru the vendor area. If you want to avoid this area, bear left and go back to the buses (the same way that you came in). The vendors will likely yell to you telling you that you are going the wrong way and that you MUST go thru their area (I'll call it a "gauntlet") BUT YOU DO NOT have to go that way. It is very noticeable which way to go if you want to avoid it.

Regarding the video that they try to sell you ... we actually bought it from the local vendor and were quite pleased with the quality and amount of video he had of our 4 person group. Unfortunately, it was NOT as flattering of me as I hoped it would have been. Guess I had a few too many buffets before the climb.

One final word about the climb ... My 69 year old mom went and she said prior to getting to the falls that there was no way that she would climb, she would just watch (which is fine if that's what you want to do). Once she walked down the paved walkway to the bottom, she decided to try it since there were several areas that she could exit the climb if she decided that she had had enough. She made it all the way to the top with no problem. I truly think that this is one of her proudest accomplishments. I should say that she is definitely NOT a risk taker but she was quite the sport that day. The guides are VERY helpful and very much interested in making sure that everyone gets to the top safe and sound.

Thanks again for such a great tour. We can't wait to go in May.

Keith
Old November 14th, 2006, 09:48 AM
Admiral

Keith,

Thanks for adding to it, about older people climbing the falls. It is truely a wonderful experience for all.

Luanne
Conquest 2006
Conquest 2007
Ecstasy 2008
Valor B2B 2008

Old December 31st, 2006, 07:13 PM
Admiral

Conquest 2006
Conquest 2007
Ecstasy 2008
Valor B2B 2008

Old January 15th, 2007, 10:14 AM
Passenger

THanks so much for this tale. I say that because it is so entertaining as well as informative. It was so much fun to read I couldn't stop until the end. So much for starting laundry early.
We sail next Sun., Jan 21st.
What do you think about shopping in Jamaica without a group? We were thinking we'd just do some shopping & hang out at a beach that day.
Thanks,
Tammy
Old January 15th, 2007, 01:38 PM
Admiral

Thank you Tammy for your kind words. I would not shop in Jamaica without a group. Lots of crime. Would be better with a group. Try one of the excursions that always includes shopping. By the way, you are going on my birthday.

Luanne
Conquest 2006
Conquest 2007
Ecstasy 2008
Valor B2B 2008

Old February 24th, 2007, 05:43 PM
First Mate

Luanne,

Thanks for awesome posts! They were funny and informative for this first time cruiser (going on the Conquest in Sept.) I'm sure I'll be reading this thread again before we set sail!
Old February 24th, 2007, 08:03 PM
Admiral

Thanks for all the good comments. I will again be going on the Conquest this June. With a different type of room. Can't talk about it yet, but fill you guys in when I get back.

Luanne
Conquest 2006
Conquest 2007
Ecstasy 2008
Valor B2B 2008

Old April 23rd, 2007, 09:24 AM
Passenger

My teenage daughters and I are going on our first cruise on the conquest on July 29, 2007. I am very much enjoying reading this!!
Old April 23rd, 2007, 04:07 PM
Admiral

Thank you!!
Conquest 2006
Conquest 2007
Ecstasy 2008
Valor B2B 2008