Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old October 9th, 2006, 10:14 AM
Beginner

Default Is Carnival kid friendly or a party ship?

We are taking our 8 and 10 year olds on their first cruise next year. This will be our first time on Carnival. We have talked to a few people who have cruised different lines, including Carnival, and they all said to stay away from Carnival because it is more of a party ship-alot of drunk people, even naked men going down the water slide-not something I want my kids to see. I know people drink on any cruiseline, but we went on a Royal Caribbean a couple of years ago and I don't remember seeing anyone fall over drunk. Any insite is much appreciated!
Sponsored Links
Old October 9th, 2006, 10:29 AM
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to Luanne Russo

Carnival is a very family friendly cruise company. The programs for kids have won awards for excellence. The shorter cruises tend to be a little more of a party time, but still have all the kid programs that the longer ones do.

Man going down the slide naked. HELLO Does anyone have pictures of that. I need proof!!!!

Go with Carnival. You won't be disappointed.

Luanne
Conquest 2006
Conquest 2007
Ecstasy 2008
Valor B2B 2008

Conquest Virtual Cruise Topic Link
Old October 9th, 2006, 10:29 AM
Administrator
Admiral

Three and four day cruises may attract a more active and younger crowd that may get a little more rowdy. If you go with a seven day cruise you should have no problem. Carnival has one of the best children's programs at sea and is very kid and family friendly. I personally think it is a bad rap. There have been people who have overindulged on any ship, even on Royal Caribbean.

I have NEVER seen a drunk person sliding naked down a water slide. It may have happened at some time but it is not normal by any means.

It's sort of a matter of perspective. There also have been people who don't cruise Carnival because they say there are kids all over.

I would take the kids let them have a great time on the ship and in Club O2.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old October 9th, 2006, 12:29 PM
Admiral

I always miss out on the fun!!! Darn it! There was definitely no naked guy on the waterslide on any of our Carnival cruises. Its probably a good thing since I wouldn't have wanted to have to splain that to my kids either. Carnival is a great choice for family cruising.
I think the rowdiest cruise I have ever experienced was on NCL Spirit out of NYC at spring break. There were lots of drunken young people but aside from having to stick my head out the door one night to tell them to shut up so we could sleep, we had few problems and and I can honestly report that no naughty bits were exposed at any time, aside from one old gal who exited the ladies room with her skirt hiked up in her pantyhose. Eek!

I think that a fair question for your friends is have they been on a Carnival cruise in the past 3 years or are they simply relating their perception of Carnival erroneously based on their old and definitely outdated reputation? Also if they have cruised recently, was it at spring break?
Old October 9th, 2006, 01:31 PM
Passenger

Default Re: Is Carnival kid friendly or a party ship?

just returned from a Carnival cruise with my 9, 5 & 1 yr old boys, and we were beyond impressed. The Camp Carnival kids' program was excellent (the boys were in the 2-5 yr group, and the 6-8 yr group, with the 1 yr old in the night-time babysitting once). My boys, who are homeschooled and admittedly spend little time in group settings, were asking to go back to Camp Carnival each day.

as for the drunkenness -- we didn't see any of that, at least no rowdy drunks. We found it to be a great family vacation, all of us loved it, and we're planning to go at least every other year, if not every year, from now on.
mom to 3 great boys, ages 12, 9 & 4
Old October 9th, 2006, 02:25 PM
Admiral

Yep, the previous post say it all, and say it right. Carnival has received a bad reputation, probably based on short cruises, a long time ago. We've taken two 7 day Carnival cruises so far this year, and have another booked for next month, and the truth is, they are great cruises, for family, or otherwise. Carnival is a great line, and a superior value. Go with Carnival,,,you won't regret it.

Ken
Old October 9th, 2006, 11:16 PM
Cruise Maniac

Carnival is a very family-oriented line, like others have said. I went on a 7-day cruise and saw none of this inappropriate stuff. There were even kids in the Lido Deck parties at night! I don't think naked men will go down the waterslide anyhow; the guards by the pool won't let them!
Old October 9th, 2006, 11:56 PM
Cruise Maniac

My children love Carnival. I think the camp carnival program is awesome. My oldest daughter, 13, has been on five cruises, three different cruiselines and she votes for Carnival with the best childrens programs.
Sensation '99, '04, '08
Triumph '99 & '03
Victory '00 & '02
Imagination '01
Fascination '05
Navigator Sept '05, Jan '09, Mar 10
Valor Aug 6, 2006, Sept 2010
Adventure 10/06
Elation Nov. 30 2006
Majesty OS June 8 2007
Glory Dec 07
Destiny 8/09, 10/11
Oasis Dec. 2009
Allure Dec 2010
Carnival Dream 3/11
Monarch OS 8/11
Freedom OS 12/4/11

Old October 10th, 2006, 04:33 AM
Passenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike M
Three and four day cruises may attract a more active and younger crowd that may get a little more rowdy. If you go with a seven day cruise you should have no problem. Carnival has one of the best children's programs at sea and is very kid and family friendly. I personally think it is a bad rap. There have been people who have overindulged on any ship, even on Royal Caribbean.

I have NEVER seen a drunk person sliding naked down a water slide. It may have happened at some time but it is not normal by any means.

It's sort of a matter of perspective. There also have been people who don't cruise Carnival because they say there are kids all over.

I would take the kids let them have a great time on the ship and in Club O2.

Take care,
Mike
You are absolutely right. The short cruises attract more of the riff raff. When it is cheap, you attract cheap people. Short cruises equal, more drunks, more smokers and more loud mouths. You sleep much better on the long family cruises!
Old October 10th, 2006, 07:49 AM
Welcome Newcomer

Quote:
You sleep much better on the long family cruises!
Who Goes On a Cruise to sleep?

Smoke's, Beer's and Naked Women down the Slide....mmmm I must be Cheap
Old October 10th, 2006, 08:15 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrOctober
Goes On a Cruise to sleep?

Smoke's, Beer's and Naked Women down the Slide....mmmm I must be Cheap
You're funny!

I'll be able to tell you better in a few weeks. We are taking a 4 day, leaving Nov 9. I've always taken 7 day cruises, so I will be able to compare. Family responsibilities prevent being able to take a longer cruise at this time, so I'll take what I can get.
Mariner of the Seas

HAL Statendam Alaska Cruise Tour - 09/09/12; Disney Magic - 12/01/12; Allure of the Seas - 05/26/13
Old October 10th, 2006, 08:49 AM
Welcome Newcomer

Although I do agree somewhat to the point of Shorter Cruises attracting maybe somewhat undersierable types (to me atleast). I have decided that I will begin taking longer cruises after this one on Oct 15th. I have done nothing but 3 and 4 day cruises. I cruise alone
Ill be on my 4 night cruise this sunday ( my Yearly Birthday treat to myself ) next year I will do a 7 day. the only reason I havent done a longer cruise is the Gambeling expence is larger as well as the beer tab.

I do have a Cruise Fund Kinda like a piggy bank..I'll just have to start doubling up the input.

Me
Old October 10th, 2006, 10:53 PM
Passenger

I have done 2 Carnival cruises (both 7 days or longer) and while I went without my kids, we are now planning a big family cruise to include my kids (ages 13,11) and my neice and nephew (ages 4 and 2)

I have always seen a little rowdiness at times such as late at night at the clubs and discos, or even during sea days when a lot of people drink in the sun. But it's good natured, family oriented kind of rowdy. I only saw one really drunk group, and they were a big extended family, and even they were "fun happy" drunks.

With that said, I did not hesitate to choose Carnival for our big family cruise. The kids program is top notch, I never saw any kids running around and causing trouble. In fact, I saw a lot of young kids, impeccably dressed at formal dinners, spending equal time with family and new friends made at Camp Carnival. I can't wait to bring my kids, and I know they will have a blast. I spent most of my past 2 cruises saying "Oh, Maddie would love that" or "Kellen would have enjoyed that"

So don't hesitate...book away!
Old October 11th, 2006, 09:23 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Cruznut2 Send a message via Yahoo to Cruznut2

My first cruise with Carnival in 1983 was not much more than a 7 day drunk for some passengers. Carnival has worked hard to change this party image. Each successive cruise with this company has been better and better. This line deserves credit for the strides they have made. The product is very family friendly now. They have an excellent childrens program in place. Food has gone from bland and boring to excellent. Buffet areas have expanded to cater to every taste. Service has improved so much over the years. I remember ordering drinks from room service only to call an hour later to cancel the order. Now 10 minutes is normal. For the money you cannot go wrong with this line. If I were asked which line has made the most improvement I would have to say Carnival without a doubt.

Laura
“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.“
---Mark Twain

Old October 11th, 2006, 04:31 PM
Beginner

Default Kids on Carnival Cruises

I have to agree with Luanne. I am going on my fourth Carnival cruise on the 30Th of Oct and I have never seen any naked men on the slide. I have seen some junk men who thought they were sexy in the hairy chest contest. I have never taken my kids with me on a cruise. (This is my one week to be away from them) so I can't say for sure that they have a great program of entertainment for kids but it sure looks to me like they keep them busy and it looks like they are having fun in all age groups from 5 - 18 years.
Old October 11th, 2006, 04:59 PM
Beginner

Okay! You've sold me. I think we're going to give it a try! Thanks for all the advise!