Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old October 12th, 2006, 02:31 PM
Captain

Default GLORY REVIEW (Sept. 30 - Oct. 7)

After disembarking the Fantasy, my husband and I embarked on the Glory for a seven day cruise to Nassau, St. Thomas, and St. Martin. Embarking went smoothly. It was my tenth cruise, so we got the V.I.P. treatment and were allowed to embark early. We headed to the Lido deck restaurant for lunch. The Glory has the same floor plan as the Conquest, so we had no trouble finding our way around in it. We were in an inside room on the Verandah deck.

Our first stop was Nassau. We had been there on the Fantasy two days before, so we knew where everything was. My husband and I got off the ship and wandered around sight-seeing for a while. We then went to the straw market, bought several tote bags for family members, and some other small gifts. I wasn't feeling very well, so I went back to the ship early. My husband took his video camera and took the water taxi to Atlantis to get some video pictures of the hotel, art work, and aquarium. I went to one of the top decks, found a lounge chair, and read my book. My husband returned several hours later and told me all about his trip to Atlantis.

Monday was a sea day. As usual, we walked for exercise, talked to other passengers, and played ping pong. We love to play, so we bring our own ping pong paddles and balls. Many of the ships paddles are in really bad shape. Also, this way, we don't have to go find someone to check out paddles and a ball to us.

Tuesday, we docked at St. Thomas. We had already decided to take the water ferry to St. John to have a look around. It was $10 per person to take the taxi to Red Hook Pier. We thought this was high, but we wanted to see St. John, so we did it. It was several miles over a winding hilly road to get to Red Hook Pier. We couldn't have walked it. It would have been too dangerous. Once at the pier, we paid $5.00 per person one way to ferry over to St. John. Once there, we walked around for about an hour, bought several t-shirts, then rode the ferry back to St. Thomas. It cost us another $10 per person to take the taxi to Blackbeard's Castle near the downtown area. We walked around there awhile. St. Thomas, like many of the Caribbean islands, has many beautiful plants and trees.
We walked the 99 steps down to the town area and stopped at the outdoor market to shop. T'shirts were 4 for $10, so we bought at least 4. These were the same shirts we paid $10 a piece for at Grand Turk. I also bought a beautiful bright colored tote bag that my husband made fun of. After that, we headed back toward the ship. We walked about 2 miles, stopped at a K-Mart,which was several blocks from the port, and bought a small piece of luggage to carry home some of our purchases. We then walked on to the ship, unloaded our purchases, ate, and then left the ship again to shop at the Havensight Mall which was right by the dock. After and hour or so, we got back on the ship.

Wednesday, we docked at St. Martin. We took the water taxi to the downtown area of Philipsburg. We paid $5 each for a wrist band that would allow us to ride it as many times as we needed to for the day. We could have walked to the downtown area, but it was really hot, so we decided not to. We walked around a while, and then took a bus to the French side of the island. The bus ride was only $1.50 per person. We thought that was quite a bargain! Anyway, it took about 30 minutes to get to Marigot. It was a beautiful city. We got off the bus, walked about two blocks to the area by the water. There were outdoor restaurants and a very nice outdoor market area. After shopping and sight-seeing a while, we took the bus back to Philipsburg. We went back to the ship, ate, and then got off again for more shopping and sight-seeing. St. Martin had the best prices of any of the ports we visited. Tote bags that were selling in Nassau and St. Thomas for $10 were only $6.95 and $2.95 in St. Martin. My husband bought 3 island shirts for $20. We loved it there, and would love to go back some day.

Thursday and Friday were sea days. I spent most of my time reading my book and visiting with people. We also managed to play some ping pong.

We disembarked on Saturday. We were allowed to disembark early because of my platinum card. We then rode the Mears bus to the airport where we had to wait several hours before we could board our plane.

We had a great time on our cruise. I am so glad we finally took an Eastern Caribbean cruise. The islands were beautiful.

We enjoyed being on the Glory, but still prefer the smaller ships.
Sponsored Links
Old October 12th, 2006, 03:27 PM
Admiral

Thank you so much for the review. It sounds like the perfect trip.

Life is too short to let the ship of your dreams sail without you.

Carnival Destiny Feb. 2006
Carnival Fascination Feb. 2007
Royal Caribbean Grandeur of the Seas Feb. 2008 The DTW & MsBJ tour
Carnival Valor MsBJ and Dina Feb. 2009
Carnival Glory MsBJ and Dina Feb. 2010
Carnival Dream MsBJ and Dina Feb. 2011
Old October 12th, 2006, 06:19 PM
Captain

Dina,

We really did have a wonderful time. The eastern Caribbean is beautiful, and I am so glad we were able to do both cruises. We get military rates, so it was very affordable.

Libragirl (Mary)
Old October 12th, 2006, 07:13 PM
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to Luanne Russo

Good Review Mary. thank you for sharing. What about photos?

Luanne
Conquest 2006
Conquest 2007
Ecstasy 2008
Valor B2B 2008

Conquest Virtual Cruise Topic Link
Old October 12th, 2006, 07:21 PM
Cruise Maniac

I wish Carnival would give millitary rates for service members US allies as well
Old October 12th, 2006, 07:29 PM
Beginner

Thanks for the review. We are going on the same cruise next July and you have given me alot of useful information!
Old October 12th, 2006, 07:31 PM
Captain

We normally get the Military Discount but found out that there are only a certain number on each cruise & the amount of the discount can vary with each cruise, always better buy than the standard Past Cruiser special though...
Can someone pull some strings & get the Glory moved to New Orleans..!!!

Conquest .... Nov /03 (New Orleans)
Conquest .... Dec /05 (Galveston)
Celebration.. Sept /06 (Jacksonville)
Fantasy....... Dec/07 (New Orleans)
Splendor...... Nov. 29th, 2009

Splendor...... Nov. 28th, 2010 (booked)
Old October 12th, 2006, 07:43 PM
Admiral

You know Bob, I have thought the same thing. I wish Carnival moved the ships around more often.
Conquest 2006
Conquest 2007
Ecstasy 2008
Valor B2B 2008

Old October 12th, 2006, 07:47 PM
Captain

Glad you enjoyed your cruise and pleased Carnival acknowledges your service. More American corporations need to follow their example.
Glory (eastern) 12/2006
Destiny 01/2009
Old October 12th, 2006, 09:39 PM
Admiral

Great review Libragirl...we also love the Glory.Is Mark Price still the cruise director?He is VERY!! Funny
Old October 13th, 2006, 02:21 PM
Captain

Will,

The Glory now has a lady cruise director, and I'm sorry, but I can't remember her name. She was okay, but like you, I prefer the funny cruise directors!
Old October 13th, 2006, 02:30 PM
Captain

Luanne,

I am basically "computer illiterate", so I don't know how to put the photos on this website. My husband might be able to do it, so I'll mention it to him.

I wish Carnival would change the destinations on their cruises out of Galveston. We have been to Progreso 7 or 8 times. I have no problem going to Cozumel many times because there is a lot to do there, but there is only so much you can do in Progreso, and we've already done it all.

Libragirl (Mary)
Old October 14th, 2006, 01:49 AM
Cruise Maniac

Libragirl,
Because Glory doesn't arrive in St. Thomas until 10:00 am, did you have to tender in or was there enough room to dock? I am just trying to plan ahead. Thank you in advance

Carnival Spirit - Mexican Riviera
Carnival Glory 2007
RCCL Navigator of the Sea 2004
Carnival Elation 2002
Old October 14th, 2006, 09:00 AM
Admiral

Liv2?,Your question was not addressed to me,but we have been there twice on the Glory,and we have always docked there.In fact we have never tendered into St. Thomas on any ship we have been on to this very nice stop....Hope this helps
Old October 14th, 2006, 10:09 AM
Cruise Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will
Liv2?,Your question was not addressed to me,but we have been there twice on the Glory,and we have always docked there.In fact we have never tendered into St. Thomas on any ship we have been on to this very nice stop....Hope this helps
Thanks Will, I kind of thought it would dock, But wasn't sure how much dock space St. Thomas had.

Carnival Glory 2007
Carnival Elation 2002
Old October 14th, 2006, 10:15 AM
Captain

Liv,

You will have a great time. Please tell us all about it when you get home!!!

Libragirl (Mary)
Old November 24th, 2006, 12:34 PM
Captain

I hope all of you "Glory" cruisers have a wonderful time on your cruises!!!!
Old November 29th, 2006, 08:21 PM
Admiral

Mary,

I am going to send this back to the top, because we have people interested in the Glory.

Luanne
Conquest 2006
Conquest 2007
Ecstasy 2008
Valor B2B 2008

Old November 30th, 2006, 07:06 PM
Passenger

Default glory

liv2 just got off the glory on nov.18,2006 and I must say it was by far the smoothest cruise I have ever been on,and thats 20 cruises. 2nd time on the glory and its a great ship. as to your question in st.thomas when we were there we docked and there were 7 ships in that day. I believe at least 4 maybe 5 docked and the rest tendered. have a great cruise and the cd is a guy named dana
Old December 1st, 2006, 11:03 AM
Cruise Maniac

Default Re: glory

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikee
liv2 just got off the glory on nov.18,2006 and I must say it was by far the smoothest cruise I have ever been on,and thats 20 cruises. 2nd time on the glory and its a great ship. as to your question in st.thomas when we were there we docked and there were 7 ships in that day. I believe at least 4 maybe 5 docked and the rest tendered. have a great cruise and the cd is a guy named dana
Thanks for the info!
Since the Glory doesn't arrive until around 10:00AM, and there were so many ships in port, you were still able to dock? Did it seem extremely crowded on the island?
Thanks in advance.

Carnival Glory 2007
Carnival Elation 2002
Old December 1st, 2006, 01:48 PM
Captain

Mikee,

I stand corrected. I told another cruiser that we had a lady cruise director. The lady cruise director must have been on the Fantasy. (We did a Fantasy cruise right before the Glory cruise.)

HAPPY CRUISING TO ALL, AND HAPPY HOLIDAYS!!!

Libragirl (Mary)