Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old October 17th, 2006, 08:25 AM
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to mteague
Default Cell phones and Sprint International Calling

I've been trying to contact Sprint to get some answers regarding cell phone usage on cruise ships and in port. I have an international calling plan (dad lives in The Netherlands) that charges a monthly fee and $.40 a minute. You would think this plan would cover calls in port at least, but I can't get an answer. I don't plan on making a lot of calls, but would like to know the cost in advance. I'll just be checking on kids left at home. (Please...no comments on calling the kids. I know I'll be thousands of miles away, but this is something I am compelled to do. Thanks in advance!)

The Sprint website shows a fee of $1.99 a minute for calls in Jamaica and the Cayman Islands. Cozumel is $.99 per minute. Sure would like to be able to make my calls for $.40 per minute! Would anyone know if your international calling plan will cover calls in port or onboard (we will be on the Conquest in May)?
Sponsored Links
Old October 18th, 2006, 10:09 PM
Beginner

Default Info on Sprint International

Hi - My husband works for Sprint [although in Engineering, not Customer Support]. This is what he said: Your International Calling Plan should at least offer a discount on all of your international calls while cruising. It may not be as good as $0.40/minute, but should be substantially less than the usual cost and what others would pay without the International Plan. Be aware [as we found out cruising the Miracle in July] - the cell service in other countries is not always compatible with American phones [and for others reading this, you must ask to have International Roaming Service turned on before you leave]. We got no service in the Caymans, but we got good service in Cozumel. Don't use your cell phone on the ship; using the ship's tower is rumored to cost as much as $2.50/minute! The Sprint International customer service number is 1-888-226-7212. They should have an idea of how good coverage will be in each port and what your discount should be.
Old October 19th, 2006, 09:51 AM
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to mteague

Thanks for the information. I haven't tried to call again, maybe tomorrow when I'm off of work. I appreciate the warning about the ship's tower fees, wow that could get a little pricey!
Old October 20th, 2006, 05:16 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Sprint Cell Service

We went to Cozumel in September, I called them to set up the international roaming on my phone (no charge), you don't have to sign up for any plan, you are charged $1 per minute, no airtime is deducted from your plan, no additional charges. DON'T FORGET.....ASK THEM FOR THE DIALING INSTRUCTIONS. I didn't keep them once we returned. Can't use the phone while "out at sea" but once docked, works great

Conquest, September, 2009
Fantasy, July, 2009
Fantasy, July, 2008
Fantasy, June, 2008
Fantasy, September, 2007
Ecstasy, September, 2006