Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old October 19th, 2006, 10:17 AM
Familiar Face

Default Miami question

Me and my husband are cruising out of miami. We are flying down a day early and are looking for a hotel close to port. Should we stay in airport area or miami beach area. Then get a taxi or shuttle.
Old October 19th, 2006, 11:35 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

Personally I wouldn't stay in the airport area. Not much out that way of interest.

I'd look to stay in downtown Miami, near the port area, South Beach, or even the Coco Walk area.
- The Kuki Side of Cruising-
A new Blog post every Wednesday
http://www.cruisemates.com/blog/author/kuki/
Old October 19th, 2006, 12:04 PM
Familiar Face

ok thanks i'll look into that area
Old October 19th, 2006, 12:08 PM
Yeoman

Call the Holiday Inn Bayside......it's VERY close to the port and a very nice hotel. Across the street are places to eat inside the Bayside Market place. It's got alot of shopping and plenty of restaurants, Hooter, Bubba Gumps, etc. I think you'll like that place. Just my opinion.

I hope everyone has a wonderful cruise!
Old October 19th, 2006, 12:22 PM
Familiar Face

Default Miami - -

We stayed at the airport hotel and would never do it again.
Even though it was just overnight -got there about 8pm and were leaving at 10am - we had a number of problems. The room, though small and comfortable in appearance, turned out to be a mess. We changed clothes to go to dinner and when in the bathroom saw the toilet had been filled with toilet paper rolls. The sink was filthy too. We called for service and no one showed up. We called again and were told they'd fix it in the morning. - after many unpleasantries a janitor arrived at 11pm and
tried to 'plunge' the toilet. No way would that work. We packed up,
got a cab and moved. Although I fought the charge on my credit card I lost because we did stay there four hours or so..
Old October 19th, 2006, 12:38 PM
Yeoman

Cash..........I've lived in Miami all my life and I think the Airport Hotel has been here that long...56 years.......it's awful and you are correct. Everyone beware.

I hope everyone has a wonderful cruise!
Old October 22nd, 2006, 03:13 PM
Beginner

My husband and our two adult sons took a cruise from Miami last month. We stayed at the Marriott Biscayne Bay. The hotel is exceptional and very close to the pier (just across the bay). It's a three minute cab ride to the Bayside Mall (construction near the mall) and a $7 (or 5 minute) cab ride from the pier.

It's an easy drive to Miami Beach nightlife and if you rent a Hertz car at the airport, the one-way rental won't kill you, as you can leave your car at the Hertz car rental at the hotel. How cool is that?
Old October 22nd, 2006, 03:15 PM
Beginner

My husband and our two adult sons took a cruise from Miami last month. We stayed at the Marriott Biscayne Bay. The hotel is exceptional and very close to the pier (just across the bay). It's a three minute cab ride to the Bayside Mall (construction near the mall) and a $7 (or 5 minute) cab ride from the pier.

It's an easy drive to Miami Beach nightlife and if you rent a Hertz car at the airport, the one-way rental won't kill you, as you can leave your car at the Hertz car rental at the hotel. How cool is that?
Old October 24th, 2006, 12:03 AM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via AIM to chosen175

HORRID EXPERIENCE: an overnight stay at the days inn civic center - it was full of roaches and when we left after about 4 hours, they refused to give us our money back. the 2 "kids" behind the desk even started talking about us in spanish, thinking we couldn't understand them.

GRET EXPERIENCE: we lef the days inn and went to the hampton inn miami airport west. GREAT SERVICE and when we told them what happened, they lowered the rate to match the day's inn's rate that we paid. we got free toiletries to replace the ones we had to throw out after the roaches crawled all over them at the days inn. granted, there wasn't much going on in the area but by that time, all i wanted was a CLEAN, roach-free room.

in all honsty, by the 2nd day of the cruise, i didn't even think about the hotels or the roaches.

lisa

Carnival Valor April 2006
Contemplating a cruise wedding in 2010