Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old October 22nd, 2006, 09:57 PM
Captain

Default Consent from absent parent

I'm hoping that someone else has been in this situation or knows how to find the answeres needed to take a child on a cruise without one of the parents written permission. My daughter has a son that hasn't seen his biological father since his birth 12 years ago. She doesn't know where to begin to find him. He is listed on the birth certificate so we think he will be considered an absent parent to homeland security when we go on our cruise in April. According to Carnival's website we would need a notorized letter from the absent parent to take the child on the cruise.
She has had sole custody since his birth, but we don't have anything showing this. Any ideas or suggestions?

Thanks,
AKcruiser
#11 Carnival Cruise Victory April 22, 2007
Sponsored Links
Old October 22nd, 2006, 10:05 PM
Passenger

I don't know the answer to your question, but I am curious to find out. I think you will have more difficulty getting him a passport (which is required soon I believe if your cruising outside the US) then actually getting on the ship itself.
I have traveled with my children without any consent from their father (we are divorced and share legal custody) several times. But I am going to need him to come with me to get them a passport, as it is required for both parents to consent.
I would check with the department of the government that deals with passport issues and ask how to get around this. They do have a website as well ( I don't know it offhand)
My opinion is that you will have no problem getting the child on the ship, as long as your passports are in order. If you "pass" the governments security, you'll "pass" Carnivals. Just my opinion however.
Good luck, and if you find the official answer, please be sure to let us know...thanks
Old October 22nd, 2006, 10:24 PM
Captain

Thanks Sunni,

I checked the passport website and there is a form she can declare special circumstances for not having the absent parent there when she gets a passport. However, she is planning to not get their passports as it won't be required for our cruise in April 07. They probably won't cruise again before they expire.

I got this from Carnivals frequently asked question site:

When traveling with a minor and both parents/legal guardians are not cruising, we strongly recommend bringing an original signed letter from the absent parent/legal guardian authorizing the minor to travel with you. This will expedite processing by the Department of Homeland Security. Please note that a notarized letter to this effect is required if debarking with children in Mexico.

My PVP at Carnival said not to worry about it, but I don't want to wait until we are at the pier to find out we have a problem!

I'll keep you posted of my findings.

AKcruiser
Old October 23rd, 2006, 10:33 AM
Admiral

since she has sole custody this isn't an issue, she will need to bring a copy of the custody papers with her.
Old October 23rd, 2006, 07:52 PM
Admiral

Hi AKcruiser,

IMHO, your daughter should go ahead and get passports. Although Carnival's website says they're not required now to sail, there could be extenuating circumstances!

For instance (heaven forbid ), if your daughter or grandson becomes ill or has an accident, and has to leave the ship in a foreign port and fly back to the US, they'll need a passport. Or if the ship develops mechanical problems and the passengers need to fly back to the US, they'll need a passport.

I know you said they'll probably not need passports after this cruise, but 10 years is a long time! I'm almost positive they'll want to cruise (or go to Canada or Mexico) again during that 10 years. Since you have plenty of time before you cruise, IMO, everyone should have a passport.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LisaK
since she has sole custody this isn't an issue, she will need to bring a copy of the custody papers with her.
If you don't want to get passports, LisaK is right about the custody papers.

(BTW, some other cruise lines are requiring a passport for anyone sailing after January 8, 2007, no matter what the gov website says. Carnival may very well change to this!)

"A truly happy person is one who can enjoy the scenery on a detour."

Carnival Inspiration 2002 Carnival Elation 2004
Grand Princess 2004 NCL Sun 2005
Sun Princess 2006 NCL Dream 2007
Caribbean Princess 2007 NCL Dawn 2008
Island Princess 2008 Island Princess 2009
Golden Princess 2009 Carnival Conquest 2010
Grand Princess 2010 Island Princess 2011
Grand Princess 2011 Carnival Magic 2012
Carnival Dream 2012 Island Princess 2013
Carnival Magic 2013 Carnival Legend 2014
Sea Princess 2014
Old October 24th, 2006, 01:55 AM
Captain

Thanks so much for the input. She may have to get them passports since she doesn't have a custody order as one was never needed. She filed for child support from the biological father, but as I said she hasn't heard from him since her sons birth (she was in high school when he was born).

My Carnival PVP said to not worry about it, but I don't want to take any chances.

Akcruiser
Old October 24th, 2006, 09:48 AM
Admiral

AKcruiser- i don't know about that one. I would think that she should have some sort of legal document giving her sole custody, not just for the cruise, but what if heaven forbid the father decides to show-up someday and ........
Old October 24th, 2006, 02:28 PM
Admiral

Send a message via MSN to Dave the Wave Send a message via Yahoo to Dave the Wave

This is just my expereince and only on Royal caribbean. I have taken my two boys on five cruises by myself. The first couple times I had my ex-wife sign a letter but was never asked for it and didn't offer it. They were 5 and 9 the first time and are now 14 and 10. None of us ever had a passport. We just used birth certificates. Kids under 16 don't even need a picture ID though I had them. Of course, we have the same last name too. I had great fears of being denied boarding but it was never an issue. She will have no problem going with me though when passports are required. Just didn't want to go to the expense until necessary.

Read and post cruise reviews

Song of America Dec '90
Starship Majestic May '89
Sovereign X 5
Majesty Jul '01
Enchantment X 4
Regal Empress Dec '02
Sensation '04
Mariner May '07 April '08
Grandeur Feb '08
Inspiration Oct '08
Radiance of the Seas Oct '10
Old October 24th, 2006, 04:25 PM
First Mate

This summer my daughters and I took the Alaskan Cruise through Vancouver. Even though we had passports, I still had to have a notarized letter from my husband stating he was aware that I was taking the kids out of the country.

Hope this helps,
Kathy
Old October 24th, 2006, 04:30 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by katluc
This summer my daughters and I took the Alaskan Cruise through Vancouver. Even though we had passports, I still had to have a notarized letter from my husband stating he was aware that I was taking the kids out of the country.

Hope this helps,
Kathy
Kathy, I am just trying to figure this out and it is not intended to be a slam on you.

What if you just tell them that your husband is dead? Do you have to bring a death certificate?

Or just don't say anything unless they ask?

SS Norway (12 times) '85 - '97; Radiance OS 06/01; Island Princess 11/04, Grand Princess 11/04/05, Golden Princess 7/21/06, Golden Princess 2/24/07, Explorer of the Seas 12/23/07, Island Princess 11/15/08
Old October 25th, 2006, 12:11 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default NO NEED FOR CONSENT

We traveled in September on the Ecstasy out of Galveston to Cozumel. On the cruise was myself (had just finalized my divorce the week before and my papers didn't arrive before my trip - so I didn't have them anyhow if they would have been needed), my boyfriend & my 2 minor children (16 & 10). A consent is not needed unless children are traveling without a parent such as you sending your child with a friend of his/her & their family or a church or youth group trip. I called Carnival, they emailed me the consents and once I read that I called to question, and that's when I got clarification. They never even asked why 3 of us had the same last name & boyfriend didn't. I thought they'd question us all being in the same room. No concerns. Now, people who are in a bad divorce/custoday issues, let the ex know your taking the kids out of the country, perhaps have him sign a document saying he knows your taking them on vacation...so he doesn't report that you fleed the country with kids.

Conquest, September, 2009
Fantasy, July, 2009
Fantasy, July, 2008
Fantasy, June, 2008
Fantasy, September, 2007
Ecstasy, September, 2006
Old October 25th, 2006, 01:02 PM
Admiral

This is one of those things that you just never know about. I would err on the side of caution and have some sort of notarized document just in case. I think its better to be safe than sorry.
Old October 25th, 2006, 01:23 PM
Admiral

Unless superceded, here is something else to chew on .. The passport.

http://www.co.hunterdon.nj.us/pdf/co...spassports.pdf

http://travel.state.gov/passport/get...inors_834.html

"According to Department of State Publication 10542: "With the number of international child custody cases on the rise, several countries have instituted passport requirements to help prevent child abductions. For example, Mexico has a law that requires a child traveling alone, or with only one parent, or in someone else's custody, to carry written, notarized consent from the absent parent or parents. No authorization is needed if the child travels alone and is in possession of a U.S. passport. A child traveling alone with a birth certificate requires written, notarized authorization from both parents." "

SS Norway (12 times) '85 - '97; Radiance OS 06/01; Island Princess 11/04, Grand Princess 11/04/05, Golden Princess 7/21/06, Golden Princess 2/24/07, Explorer of the Seas 12/23/07, Island Princess 11/15/08
Old October 25th, 2006, 08:56 PM
Admiral

Hope I don't step on any toes, but AK, if I were you I wouldn't take legal advise from people that aren't lawyers.

If your daughter does not have sole legal custody of her son (and you said she didn't) I would imagine you might want to talk to a lawyer about how to obtain this not just for the cruise, but just PERIOD.

Good luck and I hope she enjoys her cruise and comes back for more!

dorothy

Carnival Elation
Carnival Elation March 11
Carnival Imagination Sept 07
Carniival Sensation Dec 06
RCI Sovereign of the Seas Sept 06
Carnival Miracle Sept 05
Carnival Glory Sept 04
Carnival Fantasy Jan 04
Old October 26th, 2006, 12:25 AM
Captain

Thanks everyone for your replies. I think she should check into some type of documentation to have on hand cruise or no cruise. This guy has shown no interest since my grandson's birth. but you never know what the future will bring. she has filed child support papers so maybe that agency can direct her to obtaining the proper documentation.

This will be my daughters 3rd cruise and my grandson's 2nd. He doesn't remember it thou because he was only 2 at the time!

Akcruiser
Old October 26th, 2006, 02:44 PM
First Mate

Kathy, I am just trying to figure this out and it is not intended to be a slam on you.

What if you just tell them that your husband is dead? Do you have to bring a death certificate?

Or just don't say anything unless they ask?

I was just told to have it, and it wasn't a big deal so I just did it. Rather be safe than sorry at cruise time. I am sure it has something to do with the abduction of child and the spouse not knowing. I'm sure death of a spouse would not be an issue.

Kathy