Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old October 26th, 2006, 02:01 PM
Passenger

Default Scared to death, help lol

My son got my hubby and I a cruise on the Elation in Jan. It's part of our Christmas, anyway-- I have never been on a cruise before and I'm really scared,---so I know these questions are crazy but I hope to get the answers, I have read where you can't feel the ship moving back and forth, but how fast does it go? can you feel that?will they let you keep the life jacket with you if you want to?I know this is a real dumb question, but---- when your in port how do you get off the big ship,to go to shore on shore trips? ,please forgive the questions,I just don't have any ideal what to expect. Thanks
Sponsored Links
Old October 26th, 2006, 02:08 PM
Admiral

JKK, what a wonderful gift! Relax, and ask all the questions you want to! You will be completely reassured before you set foot on the ship, I promise you. The fear will have been put to rest and it will be replaced by pure excitement!

The only way you can tell that the ship is moving through the water is to be on deck and look down at the wake the ship is leaving behind. Also the wind in your face. It is exhilarating! I'm sure you can keep the jacket on, but I don't think you will feel the need to. To get off the ship, it will be 1 of 2 ways. If your ship docks at a pier, there is a ramp (wide and with side rails) that connects the ship to the pier and you simply go the designated deck and walk off. If the ship has to anchor, they pull smaller boats (that accommodate a large number of passengers) along side the ship, and have a ramp connecting the 2, that you walk across. They have plenty of personnel to assist when you have to go from the ship to the tender.

Welcom to CruiseMates. Please ask us all the questions you want!
Mariner of the Seas

HAL Statendam Alaska Cruise Tour - 09/09/12; Disney Magic - 12/01/12; Allure of the Seas - 05/26/13
Old October 26th, 2006, 02:15 PM
Passenger

Default thank you

thanks for taking the time to answere these crazy questions, I am looking forward to it.
Old October 26th, 2006, 03:16 PM
Passenger

i hardly even think about the fact that im on a ship when im on the inside of the ship. just seems like a resort town with shops, cafes, ect. it is wonderful to be on the ship away from work, phones , chores and the like. its like the only world that exists is the one on the ship (until u see the ports in the distance) and oh what fun it is to visit the ports! and you have your "home" to return to at the end of the day. cruising is awesome! you are in for a wonderful time!

Conquest Nov 5th 06
Old October 26th, 2006, 05:32 PM
Captain

If your prone to sea sickness, by all means take some meds along or get some from the ship's doc. But the average person who's uneffected by motion sickness feels very little unless you hit really rough seas. You will have rubber legs for a couple days after you debark. And there's ABSOLUTELY no reason to wear your lifevest, unless you also wear a parachute when you fly and a crash helmet when you drive cuz they're both far more dangerous than cruisin! But there's one in your room and you won't leave port until you've been fully instructed in it's use. R-E-L-A-X, you are about to become addicted to the most awesome vacation experience imaginable!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Glory (eastern) 12/2006
Destiny 01/2009
Old October 26th, 2006, 06:24 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Welcome JKK and congratulations on a wonderful Christmas present. I know you may be a bit apprehensive about the cruise but rest assured it is VERY safe. The ship is "massive" and you will never be more than 100 feet from a life jacket and wearing one is not practical and completely unnecessary. It's sort of like wearing a parachute in an airplane.

The ship itself will run about 20 MPH at full speed but I doubt you will notice it. I think you will be amazed that something that size can move that fast.

If you are not prone to motion sickness while riding in a car or flying in an airplane you probably will not have any problem on board. There is FAR less motion unless you encounter heavy seas and even then you should be able to handle it quite well. If you do have a problem there are Over The Counter medications such as: Bonine and Dramamine that you can use. Ginger is also great for the symptoms of seasickness.

When you get off or on the ship there is a gangway that is a ramp that handles the people getting on and off the ship. At some ports you may use a boat to go from the ship to a port. This boat is called a "tender". The tender may be one of the lifeboats. Don't worry the "lifeboats" aren't like anything you see in the old movies. They are large and quite comfortable and the ride to and from shore is only a few minutes.

In regard to some onboard expenses: Remember that you will have $10 per/person per/day added to your onboard account for tips but the food is great and the shows are fun so go and have a wonderful time!.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old October 26th, 2006, 08:25 PM
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to Luanne Russo

You have already received great info, so I won't try to add, but I did want to let you know that we have all been in your shoes at one time or another. We are here for you.

Luanne
Conquest 2006
Conquest 2007
Ecstasy 2008
Valor B2B 2008

Conquest Virtual Cruise Topic Link
Old October 26th, 2006, 10:12 PM
Captain

Send a message via AIM to David West Send a message via Yahoo to David West
Default JKK

JKK,
First thing,congrats on a wonderful gift, and welcome to cruisemate forum, and no question is a dum question. So ask away . This is the only place I know that you can talk about cruising all day long, and noone will tell you to change the subject.

My wife's best friend and her husband, just went on there first cruise, 2 weeks ago, on the Carnival Glory. She had the same questions and fears that you do.
Now, 2-weeks after there cruise is over, there asking the wife and I to sail with them on there next cruise in 2007. Not to meantion, that she wants to book the cruise now And probadly will

Your about to go on the best vacation on earth. No beds to make up, no dishes to wash, no food to cook, and no worries

Enjoy your cruise and relax;
Happy Sailing;
David

Legend May 2009
Liberty - Aug.23 2008
Fantasy - Sept.22 2007
Fantasy - Sept.27 2007 (B 2 B )
Holiday- Sept.- 2006
Valor- May - 2006
Conquest- August- 2003
Inspiration-Sept.-2001
Enchanted Isle- Sept.- 1999
Old October 26th, 2006, 11:43 PM
Admiral

JKK,

Play it safe like we always do...we just each take a chewable Bonine each morning, no drowsiness, no effects, and you can enjoy each day without any ill feelings!

You will look back on your original post and see how your outlook has changed after your first cruise............have a great, wonderful time!

8/92 Mex. Riv. Commodore
9/98, 9/00, 9/02 & 7/04 Caribbean - Paradise
10/00, 08/05 Pac. Wtrs. Holiday, Monarch
04/06 Hawaii - Celebrity Summit
09/07 Alaska - Celebrity Summit
07/09 Western Caribbean RCCL Liberty of the Seas
Old October 27th, 2006, 12:27 AM
Yeoman

When we took my inlaws on their first cruise in '95 my mil stood on deck and said in amazement "we're moving". They sailed on 10 cruises with us and my fil never asked where are we going, what ship; he always said "book it Dano" and it would always make me smile.

Betty
cruise #19 booked: Crown Princess, 9/30/06

cruise #20 booked: Carnival Liberty, 1/14/07
Old October 27th, 2006, 05:30 PM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via AIM to chosen175

jkk, you have nothing to worry about. i took my first cruise this year and i was really worried about feeling motion sickness and whether or not i was going to fall on my face getting on and off the ship.

we sailed on the valor and they actually had a "doctor's office" on deck 0 and right outside was a big container nailed to the wall full of samples of seasickness pills. we had to go to deck 0 to get off the ship so i stuffed a few in my pocket, but never touched them. the only time i felt the ship move was when i got in bed the first night and it felt like i was swinging in a hammock. the bed was the most comfortable bed i've ever slept in and i actually dreamed that i was in a hammock on the beach.

as for getting on and off the ship, if you get to pull right up to the dock, it is anchored down nice and tight so you don't feel any movement at all. however, they do have 2 people at the end of the "ramp" (one on each side) to hold your hand as you get off if you want them to. you'll also find 2 "hand-holders" at the end of the ramp to help you get on the tender boats. there was a slight bobbing that i felt on one tender boat, but they let you go as slow as you need to and they really do hold on to you well. there was a couple who had to be in their 80's who had no trouble at all, and the husband was even using a cane.

go and enjoy and remember that every millisecond of worry will be replaced by hours of relaxation and thousands of amazing memories!

lisa

Carnival Valor April 2006
Contemplating a cruise wedding in 2010
Old October 27th, 2006, 05:44 PM
Admiral

JKK,

A ps to Lisa's post.....I would suggest you take some sort of seasickness pills, they do not work once you start feeling ill and it's easy to prevent by taking a little tab...my sister refused to take them on our cruise the first day and ended up feeling poorly...she wanted some then, but I told her it was too late. She ended up taking them the rest of the cruise w/no problems!

You know what they say about an ounce....

8/92 Mex. Riv. Commodore
9/98, 9/00, 9/02 & 7/04 Caribbean - Paradise
10/00, 08/05 Pac. Wtrs. Holiday, Monarch
04/06 Hawaii - Celebrity Summit
09/07 Alaska - Celebrity Summit
07/09 Western Caribbean RCCL Liberty of the Seas
Old October 27th, 2006, 08:24 PM
Admiral

Hi JKK,

Quote:
I have never been on a cruise before and I'm really scared.
Been there, done that ! Our first cruise was a "freebie" from my DH's work. I didn't even want to go ! (This was before I'd found Cruisemates.)

We had a wonderful time! You may feel some movement, but, as chosen175 said, it will be a "relaxing" movement. Once you get your "sea legs" you should be fine.

If you're prone to car sickness or air sickness be sure to bring sea sickness meds with you. Your local pharmacy will have meclazine, which is the generic equivalent of Bonine and costs much less. You'll probably find that you don't need anything!

(Some of the sea sickness pills shouldn't be taken if you are going to drink alcohol, unless you want to sleep through your cruise .)

Please feel free to ask any questions you want. We love to help "newbies" !

"A truly happy person is one who can enjoy the scenery on a detour."

Carnival Inspiration 2002 Carnival Elation 2004
Grand Princess 2004 NCL Sun 2005
Sun Princess 2006 NCL Dream 2007
Caribbean Princess 2007 NCL Dawn 2008
Island Princess 2008 Island Princess 2009
Golden Princess 2009 Carnival Conquest 2010
Grand Princess 2010 Island Princess 2011
Grand Princess 2011 Carnival Magic 2012
Carnival Dream 2012 Island Princess 2013
Carnival Magic 2013 Carnival Legend 2014
Sea Princess 2014
Old October 27th, 2006, 08:48 PM
Passenger

Default Thank you

Thank you all so much, Iam looking forward to the cruise,and I check here everyday to learn all I can,I don't know if I'm pron to any kind of motion sickness or not,I've never been in a plane either.One fear at a time---but I will get the meds, just in case.Our son says it time we started living-- so he gets the cruise,I don't think, he thinks, our trip to the mountains counted.
Old October 27th, 2006, 10:21 PM
Captain

Send a message via AIM to David West Send a message via Yahoo to David West

After this cruise is over, you'll forget about the mountains

Happy Sailing to all;
David
Legend May 2009
Liberty - Aug.23 2008
Fantasy - Sept.22 2007
Fantasy - Sept.27 2007 (B 2 B )
Holiday- Sept.- 2006
Valor- May - 2006
Conquest- August- 2003
Inspiration-Sept.-2001
Enchanted Isle- Sept.- 1999
Old October 28th, 2006, 07:39 AM
Captain

After this cruise is over, you'll forget about the mountains

We used to go to Vegas about once a year. Haven't been back since our first cruise. Just a waste of our time!
Glory (eastern) 12/2006
Destiny 01/2009
Old October 30th, 2006, 01:43 PM
Passenger

Send a message via MSN to Seasickcruiser
Default Congrats on your Christmas Gift!

Next October will be my second cruise. I get carsick, bussick, seasick, no problems with planes. I used dramamine, and the bracelet, you can get that at the pharmacy before you leave, it has something that sits on your pressure points to help seasickness. If you get the patch from your doctor, be sure to try it out before you go, to see how you'll react to it.

I can't wait to go, the food is great, the activities, the ports. I just love seeing new places, and would travel more, if it wasn't for the lack of funds.

As I read this post, and everyone's comments, I am getting tears in my eyes for the feeling of all the warmth from everyone.

Enjoy your cruise, and relax, let them pamper you. The waiters will even remember how you like your meals, or coffee after dinner, or with breakfast. Plus, you'll meet lots of new people.

Again, Congratulations!!! Have Fun, and be sure to post a review when you get back.

Dorothy

~~Can't Wait~~